Would Jet fans be as insufferable as Pats fans?

49 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

If there is one thing that should keep players off of all-time great lists it is "eerie coincidences."  

The "dynasty" from 96-03 came from the suspension.  From Stick gaining control.  Steinbrenner just wanted to win.  At any cost.  The problem was that he did not have the patience needed to properly run the franchise. 

You "forgot" that they didn't win in 1994?  They certainly didn't lose it.  I guess labor management struggles are also an "eerie coincidence."   The simple fact is that the dynasty actually started in 1994.  Jimmy Key was a monster. 

I didn't forget, they didn't win in '94.  They likely would have won the division (no way they win the WS) but the season got cancelled.  Very jinx like ?

The 94 team was very different than 96.  Key was great in 93 and 94, he was the Ace.  In 96 he was their third starter.  

In 94 they didn't have Tino, Cecil, Jeter, Hayes, cone, Duncan, Girardi, Straw, Sojo, Pettitte, Mariano, wetteland, Lloyd, Nelson, etc...

6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I didn't forget, they didn't win in '94.  They likely would have won the division (no way they win the WS) but the season got cancelled.  Very jinx like ?

The 94 team was very different than 96.  Key was great in 93 and 94, he was the Ace.  In 96 he was their third starter.  

In 94 they didn't have Tino, Cecil, Jeter, Hayes, cone, Duncan, Girardi, Straw, Sojo, Pettitte, Mariano, wetteland, Lloyd, Nelson, etc....  

They likely win the division?  Way to go out on a limb.  They were like 7 games up.  No way they win the WS?  Why?  You have some insight in your crystal ball?  The Expos were the only team with a better record and they hadn't even made the post season since the early 80's. 

They were a different team than 1996, yet their win percentage was 60 points higher.  

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Posada hasn't been relevant for a decade.  The idea that some "bandwagon fan" is running around touting his stardom is pretty farfetched.  Your typical Aaron Judge fan doesn't know who Posada was, and Jeter is just a shirt in Uncle Joe's closet.

I can name a few quality Yankees that wore a few of these numbers when they weren't retired.  Billy, Murcer, Roy White, Nettles, Chambliss.  I will never consider #6 Torre's number. 

I always joke with fans that I can’t believe they let Jeter wear Jerry Kenny’s number and that Roy White will always be my number 6.  I’m actually serious about Roy White. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I always joke with fans that I can’t believe they let Jeter wear Jerry Kenny’s number and that Roy White will always be my number 6.  I’m actually serious about Roy White. 

I’m a Mets fan but even I have nothing but respect for Roy White. Excellent ball player, a class act amongst the animals in the Bronx Zoo.

I’m not sure if he got one (don’t think so) but him, Murcer, and Mattingly deserved to get a ring. They were the type of players I love to watch. In fact Mattingly beating out that racist POS Winfield for the batting title is still a fond memory for me.

I got to play golf once with Bobby Murcer at Winged Foot. Great guy, and he could really “golf his ball”.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I’m a Mets fan but even I have nothing but respect for Roy White. Excellent ball player, a class act amongst the animals in the Bronx Zoo.

I’m not sure if he got one (don’t think so) but him, Murcer, and Mattingly deserved to get a ring. They were the type of players I love to watch. In fact Mattingly beating out that racist POS Winfield for the batting title is still a fond memory for me.

I got to play golf once with Bobby Murcer at Winged Foot. Great guy, and he could really “golf his ball”.

Don't know much about Winfield.  But, Roy White was an excellent Yankee and I'm very jealous of golfing with Bobby Murcer. 

22 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Roy White got 2.    77 and 78.  

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Kolchak said:

Don't know much about Winfield.  But, Roy White was an excellent Yankee and I'm very jealous of golfing with Bobby Murcer. 

I was done with Dave Winfield when he and two teammates attacked an opposing player on the court when he played basketball for the University of Minnesota. It was a brutal beating.

They should’ve gone to jail, and the university allowing them to remain in school, much less continue to play ball was a joke.

Never was a fan of Steinbrenner, but I loved him for dubbing Winfield “Mr. May”. It was the ultimate put down, he was comparing his late and post season failures to the success of “Mr. October” Reggie Jackson.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

They likely win the division?  Way to go out on a limb.  They were like 7 games up.  No way they win the WS?  Why?  You have some insight in your crystal ball?  The Expos were the only team with a better record and they hadn't even made the post season since the early 80's. 

They were a different team than 1996, yet their win percentage was 60 points higher.  

There was a lot of baseball to be played, in the final week before the strike they went from up 10 games to up 6.5(6 in the loss).  Nothing was guaranteed especially for a team that didn't know how to win yet.

They weren't built for October.  They had Key and who else in the rotation? The rest of their rotation was Jim Abbott, Scott Kamieniecki, Melido Perez and I think Sterling Hitchcock.  Check out what they had in the pen, check out the lineup.  They had a great year but that team was nothing like the dynasty teams.

You think the regular season record meant something?  So 2018 was better than 2017? In 3 of the 4 championships from 1996-2000 they didn't win 100 games, they did from 2002-2004 where they didn't win a single WS.  Those years were better?