Would Jet fans be as insufferable as Pats fans?

21 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

It pains me when young Yankee fans, under 40 swear that Jeter was the greatest Yankee etc or that Posada was as good as Berra.  I ask Yankee fans the following 2 questions when they get obnoxious.

1.  Greatest 5 Yankees ever and it doesn’t include Jeter or Rivera. That annoys them.

2. Name the retired numbers from 1 to 10.   They can’t even come close. 

Bandwagon fans come with winning, I don't like bandwagon fans but I want them because that means we are winning if we have them.

I think Mariano can be #6, Jeter is lower.

I always thought posada was overrated, it would drive me crazy how he would never block the plate but I liked him after he went after Pedro then got the big hit in 03.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Bandwagon fans come with winning, I don't like bandwagon fans but I want them because that means we are winning if we have them.

I think Mariano can be #6, Jeter is lower.

I always thought posada was overrated, it would drive me crazy how he would never block the plate but I liked him after he went after Pedro then got the big hit in 03.

Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, Berra.  The top 5 and it is rock solid. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, Berra.  The top 5 and it is rock solid. 

I don't think that is really debatable, the debate starts at 6.  I rank Mariano ahead of Jeter so for me 6 would be Mariano vs Whitey?  Would probably lean Whitey because a SP is more valuable (especially in his era) but I can go either way.  After those 2 I think Jeter/Dickey/Howard would be the next group.

Any fan who derives any validation or life affirmations because of a team they root for will be insufferable. As a Yankees & UConn fan who has seen lots of success with my own eyes, I hate most of my fellow fandom. I'm sure Jets fans will be no different when our turn comes.

All that said, no fan base will top massholes for the worst type of fanbase. They already have all of the worst traits of America blended into a rich sports history with only 1 team in all of the major sports to which they all unite. What makes them the clear favorites for worst of the worst is that on top of all that, they have the insecurity factor that comes from years of knowing that no matter how much their teams win, the city & people of boston will always and forever be inferior to NYC.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Saw them at least 10 times.   Client of mine is a golf pro who gave Alex lessons and got VIP passes in 2012 and I literally said.. "You give me one of the passes, and I'll do your tax work for free for the rest of your life."  I'm still doing it and have no regrets.  Got to the arena about 2pm, watched them build the stage. Interestingly, Neil, as we know, never came out, does NOT participate in any of that.   Alex and Geddy came out to a room with wine, beer and food to mingle with a few special invitees.   After that they do a meet and greet where there are probably another 25 people who meet them for photo's.  We were given a full tour of the entire stage , set up etc. Was a great experience. That's me in front of Neils set about 4pm before the sound check. @FloridaJetsFan

SDC12095.JPG

Dude, that's freaking epic.

I heard Neil absolutely hates fan interaction.

On 7/15/2019 at 12:22 AM, jvill 51 said:

0302153001415347515_filepicker.jpg

Is the guy on the right wearing a Mets T-shirt??

On 7/15/2019 at 3:58 AM, More Cowbell said:

OP post is too long but I would be the insufferable person on earth if we had a run for close to two decades

Welp, you can tic that one off your list already!

On 7/14/2019 at 8:21 AM, New York Mick said:

The bandwagon fans will be the problem. It would be like the yankee fans. Guys show up at the bar wearing an open Yankees jersey with a Saint pendant on the outside of his guinea tee talking like Vinnie from Red Hook boosting about how great the team and Brooklyn is and it ends up he’s actually Bill from Wisconsin. 

This is weirdly specific 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  With Rivera, Jeter, Whitey Ford and Red Ruffing battling for the (distant) # 6 slot.

I give 6 and 7 to Rivera and Jeter.  Then Whitey, Ruffing and I put Mattingly in as 10. I recognize that is very debatable but he carried the team through the crap years. But Munson, Rizzuto, and even Reggie get some kudos here.

51 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I give 6 and 7 to Rivera and Jeter.  Then Whitey, Ruffing and I put Mattingly in as 10. I recognize that is very debatable but he carried the team through the crap years. But Munson, Rizzuto, and even Reggie get some kudos here.

Carried them where? Outside of '85 they were never even close to a division title.

I like mattingly but I think he gets overrated by Yankee fans plus he was a jinx.  He came up in '82 a year after they made the world series then retired in '95 just before they made their next WS and the dynasty began.  Add to that he joined the coaching staff in 2004, a year after a WS app and the year of the choke.  He left after 07, in 09 they won the WS again.

9 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Carried them where? Outside of '85 they were never even close to a division title.

I like mattingly but I think he gets overrated by Yankee fans plus he was a jinx.  He came up in '82 a year after they made the world series then retired in '95 just before they made their next WS and the dynasty began.  Add to that he joined the coaching staff in 2004, a year after a WS app and the year of the choke.  He left after 07, in 09 they won the WS again.

Interesting take but when the Yankees were a joke, he was the only respectable player we had. But yes, I won't debate it.  I understand he did not win.  Who do you have as 6-10?

39 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Interesting take but when the Yankees were a joke, he was the only respectable player we had. But yes, I won't debate it.  I understand he did not win.  Who do you have as 6-10?

6. Rivera

7. Whitey

8. Jeter

9. Dickey

10. Howard

I would have Howard at 6 but he didn't play as long as the two in front of him.

• Upvote 1

Would Jet fans be as insufferable as Pats fans?

Without a doubt...and I say this as a diehard Jets fan with love for all of you - We would be the absolute worst, in-your-face, gloating, egotistical fanbase for at least 6 months (possibly 6 years) following a Super Bowl win.  It wouldn't even be close....and I'd love every minute of it.  I'd get a small replica of the Vince Lombardi trophy and put it on my car as a hood ornament as I drove around town with my middle finger sticking out the window honking my horn.  People in Arizona would be like WTF???  And I'd just say "Suck it losers!!!"

If that seems "weirdly specific" it's only because I've thought about this a lot. :P

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Johnny Data and you are going with "he's a jinx?"  Are you ******* kidding?  They were never close to a division title?  In '94 they had the best record in the AL.  In the current system they'd have made the playoffs in at least '85, '86, '93, '94, and '95 but hey, let's pretend that today's players are better because wild card.   

You are blaming the guy for having an owner that was in full Dan Snyder douche-mode through most of his career.  Maybe if he didn't have dickbags like Jesse Barfield and Mel Hall he'd have been won more.  It's no coincidence that the Yankees started winning after Steinbrenner's suspension, when Stick was allowed more control.   

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Johnny Data and you are going with "he's a jinx?"  Are you ******* kidding?  They were never close to a division title?  In '94 they had the best record in the AL.  In the current system they'd have made the playoffs in at least '85, '86, '93, '94, and '95 but hey, let's pretend that today's players are better because wild card.   

You are blaming the guy for having an owner that was in full Dan Snyder douche-mode through most of his career.  Maybe if he didn't have dickbags like Jesse Barfield and Mel Hall he'd have been won more.  It's no coincidence that the Yankees started winning after Steinbrenner's suspension, when Stick was allowed more control.   

Did they win in '94? I forget.

He only played one real season with the WC so the WC era doesn't apply to him.  

I think George was the problem in the 80s too but they did have a dynasty with George after Don retired.  They won 4 WS titles and made the WS 6 times from 1996-2003.  Soon comes back from 2004-2007 and they didn't make a WS, had historic collapse in '04 then lost in division series each of the next three years.

Was it Don's fault? I didn't say that but it's an eerie coincidence how much better they did before and after him

On 7/14/2019 at 10:54 AM, southparkcpa said:

It pains me when young Yankee fans, under 40 swear that Jeter was the greatest Yankee etc or that Posada was as good as Berra.  I ask Yankee fans the following 2 questions when they get obnoxious.

1.  Greatest 5 Yankees ever and it doesn’t include Jeter or Rivera. That annoys them.

2. Name the retired numbers from 1 to 10.   They can’t even come close. 

Posada hasn't been relevant for a decade.  The idea that some "bandwagon fan" is running around touting his stardom is pretty farfetched.  Your typical Aaron Judge fan doesn't know who Posada was, and Jeter is just a shirt in Uncle Joe's closet.

I can name a few quality Yankees that wore a few of these numbers when they weren't retired.  Billy, Murcer, Roy White, Nettles, Chambliss.  I will never consider #6 Torre's number. 

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Did they win in '94? I forget.

He only played one real season with the WC so the WC era doesn't apply to him.  

I think George was the problem in the 80s too but they did have a dynasty with George after Don retired.  They won 4 WS titles and made the WS 6 times from 1996-2003.  Soon comes back from 2004-2007 and they didn't make a WS, had historic collapse in '04 then lost in division series each of the next three years.

Was it Don's fault? I didn't say that but it's an eerie coincidence how much better they did before and after him

If there is one thing that should keep players off of all-time great lists it is "eerie coincidences."  

The "dynasty" from 96-03 came from the suspension.  From Stick gaining control.  Steinbrenner just wanted to win.  At any cost.  The problem was that he did not have the patience needed to properly run the franchise. 

You "forgot" that they didn't win in 1994?  They certainly didn't lose it.  I guess labor management struggles are also an "eerie coincidence."   The simple fact is that the dynasty actually started in 1994.  Jimmy Key was a monster.