Jets Begin Cutting Down to 53, Eli McGuire is First to go

JetNation

IMG_4980.jpg

In what figures to be a very long and busy couple of days as the Jets trim their roster from 90 to 53, the first casualty of cut downs is third-year running back Elijah McGuire.

Jets have cut RB Eli McGuire, per source. Not a surprise… but another Mike Maccagnan draft pick is gone.

— Manish Mehta (@MMehtaNYDN) August 30, 2019

McGuire’s chances of sticking around for a third season were undone by the re-signing of veteran back Bilal Powell and the recent emergence of special teams speed demon Trenton Cannon.

The post Jets Begin Cutting Down to 53, Eli McGuire is First to go appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
U6C4jmyIc74

Click here to read the full story...

Cant see how they cut McGuire? Its not like he averaged 1.5 yards per carry. Its not like he couldn't break thru arm tackles. Its not like he couldn't make that first defender miss every time. Its not like he couldn't bulldoze for that xtra yard when needed. Oh I guess it was like those things. See Ya!

35 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

He’s ******* awful as a RB, he’s only good on STs. 

Undersized at 185 lbs, but he's looked better this year than last year as a rookie.  I'm not saying he's great, but I'm saying he should stick as the RB4 over McGuire.  Cannon's last two preseason games showed a little versatility, gaining 68 yards on 10 carries (6.8 YPC) and 5 receptions.

105175252_ScreenShot2019-08-30at2_52_48PM.png.8ebd3a3ffe384f995f3435a0451f584c.png

He does enough to stick on a roster like this given that versatility and that he's still growing as a player in Year 2 under better coaching.

11 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Undersized at 185 lbs, but he's looked better this year than last year as a rookie.  I'm not saying he's great, but I'm saying he should stick at the RB4 over McGuire.  Cannon's last two preseason games showed a little versatility, gaining 68 yards on 10 carries (6.8 YPC) and 5 receptions.

105175252_ScreenShot2019-08-30at2_52_48PM.png.8ebd3a3ffe384f995f3435a0451f584c.png

He does enough to stick on a roster like this given that versatility and that he's still growing as a player in Year 2 under better coaching.

he actually started recognizing holes.  Before he just ran into bigger guys.  And he is a stone cold killer on ST.

46 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

How can this be? Elijah once had a 69 yard run against Jax, amirite @TNJet?

Yeah I remember that run. He was clocked at like 21 mph. Thought we might of had something with him at that point but that will probably be the highlight of his career.

39 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Undersized at 185 lbs, but he's looked better this year than last year as a rookie.  I'm not saying he's great, but I'm saying he should stick as the RB4 over McGuire.  Cannon's last two preseason games showed a little versatility, gaining 68 yards on 10 carries (6.8 YPC) and 5 receptions.

He was playing against Home Depot employees and Mailman. He’s a bum. 

56 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Never trust someone named “Stump”. 

Even if its a nickname. 

Stump Mitchell was a heck of a KR (or PR - I forget which.  Maybe both).

EDIT: I thought he was a heck of a pass catching RB too but I realized I was confusing his pass catching abilities with Larry Centers.

Archived