Do you consider the 2001 draft a failure now?

Matt39

Well Moss' value was transferred into Coles - so that's not a wash

as for the other guys - the team got years of starting quality service out of these players - a draft cannot be considered a failure because the team lacks the salary cap space to keep these guys

remember it was the highly unique situation of 2000 (3 high quality 1st round picks that turned into elite players) that forced Terry to make tough choices - the very good players of 2001 were sacrificed for the elite players of 2000 - the JETS could not keep everyone - it's the way it goes.

Both good points Tom and Bit.

You can't blame it on Parcells.

I mean Santana never turned into what he was at Miami. He turned into a luxury player who the Jets sacrficed for a proven wide out in Coles.

Herm screwed up Lamont Jordan, no way around that.

Mckenzie had made it clear he didnt care where he played, he was going for the paycheck. Lets pray to god Terry has a plan to get us an above average tackle.

In terms of talent, I think the 2001 draft was a good one for the Jets. I haven't looked closely but I'm sure there are players who were taken in the first three rounds who are no longer in the NFL.

When Moss gets an extension from the Redskins, those three picks will have contracts worth around $100m between them. There probably aren't too many teams who can say that about their 2001 draft choices.

To fully rate that draft, you also need to remember that we took Jamie Henderson in the 4th round and James Reed in the 7th. Henderson looked promising until his accident and Reed has been a good player in the DT rotation.

Well Moss' value was transferred into Coles - so that's not a wash

as for the other guys - the team got years of starting quality service out of these players - a draft cannot be considered a failure because the team lacks the salary cap space to keep these guys

remember it was the highly unique situation of 2000 (3 high quality 1st round picks that turned into elite players) that forced Terry to make tough choices - the very good players of 2001 were sacrificed for the elite players of 2000 - the JETS could not keep everyone - it's the way it goes.

You sexy beast!

2001 was a very good draft. Can't call it a failure.

In this league, The guys you draft today could be gone in 4 to 5 years. The key is what they do for you while they were here. Those guys were good draft picks.

Look at The Steelers, They do it all the time. They draft good players and then lose them 4 years later.

The amazing thing to me with Bradway, is that he put aside his ego here. He's not loyal to his own draft picks. Which is hard to do. That shows me something.

He drafted Santana and traded him for Coles.

He drafted Lamont, That was his find. He kept Martin.

He could have let Ellis or Abraham walk in favor of his Bryan Thomas pick. He hasn't. He's doing what he feels is best for the team. Rather than for his own ego.

He could have thrown crazy money at McKenzie. Another one of his guys but he didn't.

I don't think you can call the draft itself a failure, but you can call the management of talent from that draft a failure, certainly. I'm sure somebody will spin this so that it's all Parcells fault.

Three key steps in building a solid organization through the draft:

1). Draft them good.

2). Play them soon.

3). Extend them early.

there is no way to screw up Lamont considering CuMart just had 1700 yards

Herm went with the better guy

How do you know Lamont wouldn't have rushed for 1,900 yards last year?

Lamont Jordan is better than Curtis Martin RIGHT NOW, rushing title be damned.

Lamont Jordan had more talent that Martin the year he was drafted, but being better isn't about talent. Martin is better for the Jets than Jordan is, if for no other reason than chemistry. Of course, if you had the choice, no cap implications, you'd take Jordan over Martin... but in this case, you're more than welcomed to call Bradway an idiot for giving Curtis a cap busting deal.

He's a Giant Fan anyway Troll!! :lol: The 2001

Draft is a Big Failure!! It could have been very

Good..As Of now the only one left is Reed who is a

FA I believe.. And for Moss we gave up a 4 and a

6th to Pitt to move up 3 slots in the first rd..We

had 2 4 rd's in 01.. So with Moss 3 picks were gone

Jordan the second pick..Big Mac the 3rd pick,Jamie

Henderson with our other 4th had the Motorcycle

accident..And our other 7th rd pick (We Had 2)Reed

and Situpe Peko is with the Colts..I still never

got a answer why with the season lost in 03 Jordan

never got even 1 start and had only 1 carry in the month of Dec!! Hackett and Cumar!! Perfect together! [-X

Archived