Jerome Bettis = Jeff Bagwell

Matt39

I really don't see the signifigance if Bettis wins it all this season, just like with Bagwell. If Pittsburgh wins, Bettis could have 24 rushes for 37 yards and win the MVP.

Sorry, Bettis isnt a Hall of Famer either. I'd put Terrell Davis in before him.

G RushYdsY/GAvgTD RecYdsY/GAvgLngYAC1stDTD FumFumL

192 34791366271.23.991 20014497.57.2348.2523 3722

Those are Jerome's career numbers. I'm not exactly sure of where he ranks, all time, but those numbers aren't that bad. Yeah, the recent glory holing of him has been, well, a bit disgusting.... but he's still had a very productive career.

That being said, I'm not sure if that's Hall of Fame worthy or not. While he doesn't inspire Barry Sanders, Jim Brown, or Walter Payton... his numbers and what he's done certainly compare to others who have been enshrined.

Those are Jerome's career numbers. I'm not exactly sure of where he ranks, all time, but those numbers aren't that bad. Yeah, the recent glory holing of him has been, well, a bit disgusting.... but he's still had a very productive career.

That being said, I'm not sure if that's Hall of Fame worthy or not. While he doesn't inspire Barry Sanders, Jim Brown, or Walter Payton... his numbers and what he's done certainly compare to others who have been enshrined.

True. Bettis doesn't have bad numbers by any means. I just never saw the guy as one of those where the opposing coach was "we have to stop him."

He's been in the league since what, 92? I just don't see him as a HOF'er. And they pretty much talk as if he's a lock.

Curtis Martin had a much better career than Bettis.

Bettis is proving that longevity in the NFL is an asset to get into the Hall Of Fame. He has the numbers compiled over many years to show up high on career rushing list. The question becomes to me-was he so extraordinary above all running backs in his entire career- and the answer is no so you make a good point matt

Bettis is proving that longevity in the NFL is an asset to get into the Hall Of Fame. He has the numbers compiled over many years to show up high on career rushing list. The question becomes to me-was he so extraordinary above all running backs in his entire career- and the answer is no so you make a good point matt

Nice post Faba. If you can play for a while, it helps your cause. Actually, Bettis taking the beating that he has for so long is impressive. The guy can barely walk M-F. I just dont think he's best seasons are HOF worthy.

Take TD'S best 4 seasons against Jerome's and its pretty lopsided. I dont think TD should be in the HOF either, I'd just put him in before the Bus.

Well, as it's been said in another thread, it's the Hall of FAME, not the Hall of Great or Hall of Very Good. If you're famous, you're going to get in.

Jerome had a very long career, which does help. And he will finish as a Steeler, which will help, in some odd way.

I wouldn't put him in, myself. I prefere the Hall of Fame to actually be a Hall for the greatest ever... not the Hall of very good.

Well, as it's been said in another thread, it's the Hall of FAME, not the Hall of Great or Hall of Very Good. If you're famous, you're going to get in.

Jerome had a very long career, which does help. And he will finish as a Steeler, which will help, in some odd way.

I wouldn't put him in, myself. I prefere the Hall of Fame to actually be a Hall for the greatest ever... not the Hall of very good.

You can look at Bettis in the same light as Monk, except he had a cool nickname and played for the Steelers. So that helps.

Hate to disagree with you guys, but Bettis is a first ballot HOF'er. And yes, opposing defenses do implement schemes to stop the big guy...maybe not as much as previous years, but it's all about stopping the run tomorrow if I'm the Hawks first and foremost.

At this point in his career, he's mostly the goal line and short yardage back. He gets to pound it up in there with everybody knowing he's getting it. The guy does his job well. Just look at his success rate on those plays. He even took a paycut the last 2 years so the team could stay under the cap. He's respectful and ALL class. First ballot hall of famer for sure. I'll be there when he goes into the hall.

I can see why some people are tired of hearing his story too. If ya don't like him, thats fine. But if people blatantly dis-respect him they are insulting all of football IMO. Ya don't see Jerome dealing drugs out of his trunk or getting into bar fights, etc.

At this point in his career, he's mostly the goal line and short yardage back. He gets to pound it up in there with everybody knowing he's getting it. The guy does his job well. Just look at his success rate on those plays. He even took a paycut the last 2 years so the team could stay under the cap. He's respectful and ALL class. First ballot hall of famer for sure. I'll be there when he goes into the hall.

I can see why some people are tired of hearing his story too. If ya don't like him, thats fine. But if people blatantly dis-respect him they are insulting all of football IMO. Ya don't see Jerome dealing drugs out of his trunk or getting into bar fights, etc.

Yeah, but that doesn't make him an all time great. We're not trying to slam or pile on Jerome. Far from it. I posted his numbers, and they look ok... but they don't make him an all time great. It's not the hall of very good. It's the Hall of Fame... for the all time greats. I just don't consider Jerome Bettis an all time great.

Yeah, but that doesn't make him an all time great. We're not trying to slam or pile on Jerome. Far from it. I posted his numbers, and they look ok... but they don't make him an all time great. It's not the hall of very good. It's the Hall of Fame... for the all time greats. I just don't consider Jerome Bettis an all time great.

Good post. I guess i have different standards. When i look at HOF RB's i try to judge em' by their "prime years". Some players have more prime years than others IMO. Take Curtis Martin, for example. I would put him ahead of Jerome because, IMO, he had more and better prime years. For a few year stretch, that guy was AWESOME. Jerome had maybe 4 prime years IMO. Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders had 6-8 years each, so i would consider them better RB's. But thats not saying that Jerome doesn't deserve the HOF as well though.

He knew when his prime years were over. He openly admitted it. He took on a lesser role with less pay too. He's not gonna tell anyone he's one of the best ever. What he probably would say is that he made the most of his opportunities though. And that, he did as well as anybody. Thats why he'll be in Canton IMO.

There are alot of HOF members who do not have great numbers. Bettis is a first ballot lock to get in, just as Martin is as well. Neither of them are close to the all time greats, but that is a different matter entirely.

As far as the glory holing, I am proud to say I have not watched ESPN even once these past 2 weeks. The only thing I plan to watch is the game and none of the verbal diarrhea that precedes or follows the game.

Another thing i'd like to add is that RB is a very tough position to play for so many years. Thats why it bothers me to see people being hard on guys like Jerome and Curtis Martin. The physical pounding these guys have taken over the course of their careers warrants our full respect IMO.

Matt, let me ask you something. Do you think Joe Namath has HOF numbers? Forget the SB for a second...just on numbers alone because that's what you're comparing Bettis to and that's the upper echelon of running backs.

So, compare Joe's numbers with the upper teir QB's in the HOF and tell me if you think he deserves to be in?

Matt, let me ask you something. Do you think Joe Namath has HOF numbers? Forget the SB for a second...just on numbers alone because that's what you're comparing Bettis to and that's the upper echelon of running backs.

So, compare Joe's numbers with the upper teir QB's in the HOF and tell me if you think he deserves to be in?

Not to speak for Matt or anything, but I don't consider Joe Namath an all time great, myself. So, he wouldn't be in my Hall of Fame.

But, I can see Jerome Bettis getting into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Like it's been stated by others, you don't need great numbers to get in.

Not to speak for Matt or anything, but I don't consider Joe Namath an all time great, myself. So, he wouldn't be in my Hall of Fame.

But, I can see Jerome Bettis getting into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Like it's been stated by others, you don't need great numbers to get in.

Thanks Storm, my sentiments exactly...by the way, the hell with the Lions taking a QB...:snip:

| Rushing | Receiving |

+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+

| Year TM | G | Att Yards Y/A TD | Rec Yards Y/R TD |

+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+

| 1992 sfo | 14 | 206 1013 4.9 9 | 43 405 9.4 2 |

| 1993 sfo | 13 | 208 950 4.6 10 | 31 326 10.5 1 |

| 1994 sfo | 16 | 239 877 3.7 6 | 66 719 10.9 5 |

| 1995 phi | 16 | 337 1273 3.8 11 | 62 434 7.0 1 |

| 1996 phi | 16 | 353 1411 4.0 13 | 51 444 8.7 0 |

| 1997 phi | 16 | 285 1110 3.9 7 | 48 440 9.2 0 |

| 1998 sea | 16 | 319 1239 3.9 9 | 52 373 7.2 0 |

| 1999 sea | 16 | 325 1210 3.7 5 | 40 387 9.7 2 |

| 2000 sea | 16 | 278 1242 4.5 7 | 63 613 9.7 2 |

| 2001 sea | 5 | 72 318 4.4 1 | 11 107 9.7 0 |

How about the Buses teammate at ND? Will he even be considered?

Bettis may very well be the most over-rated player in recent history.

4 seasons out of 13 that he's averaged above 4 yards per carry. FOUR! Yet, he's supposedly a first-ballot Hall of Famer. He also only has three recieving touchdowns in his entire career and has been far from money in the playoffs. Bettis is a completely one dimensional power back that by the grace of God managed to play for 13 years and compile up some impressive numbers. Him getting into the Hall of Fame, period, would be a joke. I do not care how many little old ladies he helps cross the street or how many babies he kisses. He may be a great guy, but he was not a great football player.

This guy wasn't very kind

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

The Bus isn't one of the best

By David Schoenfield

Page 2

This is Jerome Bettis' Super Bowl.

Here's Jerome on the Sunday Conversation.

Here's Jerome's mom and dad.

Here's another replay of Jerome's near-tragic fumble against the Colts.

Please

Archived