Anthony Castonzo needs to be the Jets top free agent target next offseason

Philc1

16 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Who are the top 5 OL in college football. 

Problem is if we pick in the top 5 theres a chance we can draft WR Jerry Jeudy. 

Thomas would be the only guy imo in that conversation of top 5. But I Wouldn’t take him over Jeudy or Chase Young .. I would definitely go top Oline in rd 2 and 3 tho .

9 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

If we got those guys, I would draft WR in 1, and then draft best OL available in 2/3.  

William's, Scherff, Jerry Jeudy, and the best C or G in the draft would be a hell of a way to a good offense. 

Haven't looked into the Centers this year draftwise.  Gotta be a few.

The thing about having 1-2 bad years in the NFL: It SHOULD result in a quicker turnaround.

When you are picking at the top of the draft every round, you get your choice of the best available every time it starts.

You would THINK Mac picking in the top ten almost every year would have resulted in a perennial contender by now.

17 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Good thought and you are right....seems like he'll never play for the Skins again. I just hate the thought of giving up draft picks as opposed to signing a FA OL.

A proven top tier LT >>>>>> (way greater) then any draft pick... Sorry I know we all love the draft but 50% hit rate average for the whole NFL on 1st rounders is a scary thought and for every Trent Williams there is an Ereck Flowers or some equal or greater failure... This is a proven commodity that is in his prime getting decent money... not stupid money... middle-top tier money... I think its a no brainer and the longer he sits out the cheaper he becomes.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

What if they could pull off trading for Trent Williams, sign Brandon Scherff, and draft OL in the first.  That might change a few things. 

depends on how high they draft... If Jeudy is there you have to take him, period, stop... Just imagine Jeudy with Darnold... are you serious... that would be sick... 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

21 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Who are the top 5 OL in college football. 

Problem is if we pick in the top 5 theres a chance we can draft WR Jerry Jeudy. 

That’s not a problem. We haven’t drafted a 1st round WR since what, Mantana Soss? 

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Santana and Keyshawn are the only first round WRs Jets have drafted in the last 34 years since Al Toon. And we traded both of them away as soon as they were entering their prime. All this while the league was shaping up to be a passing league. Only the Jets. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/3/2019 at 4:06 PM, chirorob said:

If you want to do it only through the draft, it'll take 3 years.   They have zero NFL quality starters as of right now.

Even when the Jets drafted Brick and Mangold, they brought in FA Faneca to put in between them.    When Parcells re built, he brought in FA Mawae.

Yep

This is an interesting guy. 

Not a young guy.  Took while to get acclimated to the NFL as I recall.  Now one of the best LTs in the league.  PFF has him graded very high.  

He could easily be a guy that you sign and then collapses.  Next year will be his 10th in the NFL.   But for that reason you could see the Colts not wanting to sign him.  They are cheap.  

Good thing about the timing of FA is that you can try and sign him and if you actually get him, you can then draft a WR.

But my guess is that the Jets are picking low enough to not be assured a Jeudy or Thomas in the 2020 draft.  Based on what we see now, the Jets would have a top 2 pick. But I am predicting a dead cat bounce from this team once the schedule lightens a bit, Darnold returns healthy and it sinks in with Gase that unless he turns things around, he will be one and done.