Jets | New regime could have interest in a quarterback during NFL Draft

Smizzy

Jets | New regime could have interest in a quarterback during NFL Draft

Thu, 9 Feb 2006 11:06:38 -0800

Rich Cimini, of the New York Daily News, reports while former New York Jets general manager Terry Bradway and former head coach Herman Edwards were opposed to using their fourth-overall selection in the upcoming NFL Draft on a quarterback, the team's new team of head coach Eric Mangini and general manager Mike Tannenbaum may have a different view. With there being major concerns over QB Chad Pennington (shoulder), the new regime may want to look for a long-term answer at the position. Pennington is recovering from shoulder surgery and will be asked to take a pay cut.

I'd give anyone a year to hold a clipboard and another year to take his lumps. But if you're getting a $20-25M sign bonus you can't first blossom in year 4 or 5. It is totally impractical in the salary cap/free-agency era to get a player like that.

So...

In the 10 years from 1993-2002 what %age of QB's taken #4 or higher would you consider "successful" (good enough to say he's better than any free-agent QB that would've cost similar $) within 3 years?

1993 - Drew Bledsoe #1, Rick Mirer #2

1994 - Heath Shuler #3

1995 - Steve McNair #3

1998 - Peyton Manning #1, Ryan Leaf #2

1999 - Tim Couch #1, Donovan McNabb #2, Akili Smith #3

2001 - Michael Vick #1

2002 - David Carr #1, Joey Harrington #3

The only borderline one I can think of here would be Carr, but he clearly has been considered by no one to be a top-10 QB at any point so far.

Best that could be considered "successful" would be 6/12, 50%.

Most would say 5/12, 42%.

Is it really a prudent risk to take when we have a cap issue (particularly at that position already)? Forget about betting that Cutler or anyone is the next Rothlisburger that'll take us from sub-.500 to the SB within 2 years. We have too many holes on the lines/backfield/TE/WR.

We may not find a trade partner, but I want an extra 2nd-rounder for trading down. The chance to get two linemen who could start for us for the better part of a decade doesn't happen that often. As good as you may think Cutler is, he's certainly not a once-in-a-decade talent. I do like him, but I'd like him a lot better at #10 with less than half the signing bonus.

if the jets can move down add a pick and still get cutler @ 8-10 it is a great move. otherwise a 2nd for schaub, croyle in the 3rd or whitehurst in the 4th.

If Jets trade down to get Cutler, Dolphins will jump ahead of Jets without a doubt...

It would be a good chess game by Jets... Dolphins and Jets are similar in needs.:D

all the hype out there is about cutler (and DD.com has had it's share in the hype) but deep down in the pit of my stomach I think it's more realistic the Jets end up with Croyle at 38 than Cutler at 4.

I agree 100% that Croyle is target if the Rivers rumors are false. Both have that Brady type calm about them. I favor Rivers who will be ready now with Schott system in place and a hell of alot cheaper next year than any draft pick

I find some of these writers amusing...how the hell does Cimini know that the new guys want a QB? Since it has been lockdown since Magnini got the job, do these writers fill up their rags just for the sake of creating chatter.

Jets will be fools to take a QB with the first pick...too much freaken money tied to one position while we have other pressing needs.

all the hype out there is about cutler (and DD.com has had it's share in the hype) but deep down in the pit of my stomach I think it's more realistic the Jets end up with Croyle at 38 than Cutler at 4.

why would the jets use #38 overall for croyle if the falcons would take #38 for Schaub?

I would use nothing earlier than a 3rd on croyle. he is not ready to start next year, schaub is.

the jets will take a running back in the first round after trading down to receive extra picks.they will take a q.b. in round @2 which may be omar jacobs [bowling green].that in my estimation would be the correct pick.as far as cutler is concerned .he has too many knee operations and would be a risk in the first round.why draft damaged goods,I know I wouldn't

Brodie is not a good fit for jets

1) he is not ready to start, needs 20 pds and 1 year of watching vet

2) the pressure of being Joe Namath's baby brother will be too much pressure for him to handle.

Shaub clearly fits the bill, he has the height and weight , the experience of backing Mexico..

I also would not be surprised if Vick is shopped on draft day!!!

cimini is right the jets will draft a q.b. but it will be in the second round and his name will be omar jacobs

I had a dream a couple weeks ago about the NFL draft. Not so much the draft but I just remember I missed it and somebody showed me a piece of paper that had who the jets drafted and I didn't recognize any of the Names but our 2nd rd pick Omar Jacobs. I don't know much about him.

I'm not at all opposed to them going after a franchise QB. Then again, i think no matter who ya get at #4, he should be a hellova player. IMO, if ya hit on the right franchise QB, your team should have a pretty good headstart on things. But if he doesn't pan out, all heck will break loose. I'm still not totally convinced that Chad Pennington is washed up yet, either though. If he could just stay healthy for a couple of years he could lead your team well IMO. The top 10 picks in this draft should be very interesting.

cimini is right the jets will draft a q.b. but it will be in the second round and his name will be omar jacobs

The same Omar Jacobs that should be available in round 4? I'll take a pass. not a single QB in the draft or in FA or on the trade market really overwhelms me. I think we take Penny, a vet and Bolly and go for it. If we stink it up Quinn will be available and he is a better QB than any in this draft.

Archived