Question on Douglas' possible plan for the defense

Watching the Eagle game yesterday, this came to mind. The Eagle defense is built around two great players, Fletcher Cox and Malcom Jenkins. Cox is basically immovable, and Jenkins is all over the place. I'm wondering if JD is looking to that with the Jets, with Q. and Adams? Obviously, this would depend on his evaluation and projection of what type of player Q can become. Can he be the type of talent that led him to be so acclaimed last year? Adams is already there. Of course, you need complimentary guys, and other than the Graham pass rusher role, we seem to have a much better overall defense than the Eagles do. JD was there when they won the Super Bowl, so I wonder if he thinks he has the pieces here in place to duplicate it?

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Douglas better have almost no plans for the defense draft wise.  FA, sure

Quinnen, like the 5 DTs we have drafted before him look nothing like Fletcher Cox (other than about 1/2 a season when mo wilk really tried hard.)

Guess the question really is does he see Q as a dominant guy? If he really did have a team wanting to trade a bunch of capital for Q,. does he really like him? Did he have a great grade on him when he was still with Philly?

1 minute ago, section314 said:

Watching the Eagle game yesterday, this came to mind. The Eagle defense is built around two great players, Fletcher Cox and Malcom Jenkins. Cox is basically immovable, and Jenkins is all over the place. I'm wondering if JD is looking to that with the Jets, with Q. and Adams? Obviously, this would depend on his evaluation and projection of what type of player Q can become. Can he be the type of talent that led him to be so acclaimed last year? Adams is already there. Of course, you need complimentary guys, and other than the Graham pass rusher role, we seem to have a much better overall defense than the Eagles do. JD was there when they won the Super Bowl, so I wonder if he thinks he has the pieces here in place to duplicate it?

My opinion. Q for the 3rd overall pick underperformed. He did have some injuries to deal with, but still was underwhelming at best. I still don't know why we didn't draft Josh Allen...

That being said, I think with another off season and training, Q building some NFL strength will help him. 

Joe D really shouldn't do much to the Defense. The obvious is CB and a pass rusher, which I expect 1 to be acquired in FA. If Greg Williams can do what he did this year with scrubs and guys off of the "trash heaps" I cannot wait to see what it looks like with a healthy (for more than 2 quarters) CJ Moseley and Avery Williamson. Taking into account all the players that got in game experience our depth on or defensive front should be solid. 

9 minutes ago, section314 said:

The Eagles defense are built deep at corner too. They don’t have any big names but they have drafted 3-4 guys who can cover nicely and it shows up. They’re great at dictating the run game and I think we already do that really well. JD just has to get us some Edge Rushers and Corners and I think the defense takes care of itself...especially with Gregg Williams still in the fold.

With Williams (Alabama version), Mosley, Adams (if not traded) and Maye the Jets
should be excellent up the middle.  Its now time for Douglas to supply edge pieces
to the roster which Maccagnan never did.  After watching what Williams did with so
many "no names" last year this defense could really take off with one OLB and one
CB 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Douglas better have almost no plans for the defense draft wise.  FA, sure

Quinnen, like the 5 DTs we have drafted before him look nothing like Fletcher Cox (other than about 1/2 a season when mo wilk really tried hard.)

As long as Douglas doesn’t reach for anybody that fine.  The biggest priority is OL but if they haven a chance to get a good edge rusher(which is a big need) that’s fine too.  

8 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

As long as Douglas doesn’t reach for anybody that fine.  The biggest priority is OL but if they haven a chance to get a good edge rusher(which is a big need) that’s fine too.  

Well the vast majority of the picks need to be on offense, at least two oline and at least two wrs

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, section314 said:

The Defense should have few resources dedicated to it this offseason in terms of Draft picks and FA $$$.  Perhaps the Jets bring in some second or even third tier FAs at CB and Edge, but the focus should be on 3 things for the D...

1. Getting injured guys like Mosley, Cashman, etc. back healthy for 2020

2. Retaining their own key FAs like Jordan Jenkins and Brian Poole notably

3. Developing the newly acquired guys that they do have like Quinnen, Bless Austin, Cashman and those under-the-radar DLinemen who stepped up this season

Simply bringing back injured guys and improving the performance of the guys we already have should make a Defense that was already good a little bit better.  In Gregg Williams we have to trust....at least until this offense is rebuilt.

The plan should be to completely ignore the defense and fix the offense. Specifically wr and o line. This side of the ball has been ignored for over 10 years. Our last 2 offensive 1st round picks were darnold and Sanchez.

It's a crazy idea, but if the Jets could score more than 17 points a game, they might start winning more. Surround darnold with weapons

Guys....the idea of the thread is not to devote resources to the Defense, it's wondering if JD believes he has it pretty much in place with Q and Jamal as the cornerstones. And it really centers around whether he believes in Q. I want nothing but offense this year too, as least as the draft goes.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

I think Howie Roseman believes in paying your best guys. It’s possible Douglas internalized that we’ll see an extension for Adams. I also think that the Ravens build their teams dynamically, paying a their studs and putting pieces around them. I’d be surprised if Douglas trades Adams rather than putting CBs and DL that will allow Adams to make plays.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Well I have big hopes as a fan but I for one hope Douglas' plan doesn't involve sitting back hoping that Q Williams is great.

The two best players on that defense in day one of camp will be Mosley and Adams.

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Well I have big hopes as a fan but I for one hope Douglas' plan doesn't involve sitting back hoping that Q Williams is great.

The two best players on that defense in day one of camp will be Mosley and Adams.

I don't want him to hope either..  My point is has he seen enough this year that he may be on his way to being special?

56 minutes ago, section314 said:

Guys....the idea of the thread is not to devote resources to the Defense, it's wondering if JD believes he has it pretty much in place with Q and Jamal as the cornerstones. And it really centers around whether he believes in Q. I want nothing but offense this year too, as least as the draft goes.

I'll bite.  Word is there was 1 player on the "untradeable" list around the deadline and that was Q. Will.  So, there is probably some merit to believing that a similar defensive structure is in place.  That said, I'm not sure how you could look at Q. Will and believe you have the next Fletcher Cox.  I dont see Q. Will ever becoming the pass rush threat of Cox but nevertheless, if the rumor is true that Q. Will was untradeable, than yes, I think JD could look at this D and see the same foundation and look to extend JamAllPro.  

That said, I think you're selling short the effort the Eagles made at pass rusher; they've drafted Derek Burnett, Montez Sweat in consecutive  years and the same year they picked Cox, they drafted Vinny Curry and Brandon Graham was drafted 2 years earlier.  The Eagles have been very intentional about drafting pass rushers.