Jets Re-Sign James Burgess

9 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

The fact that we have been able to do what we have AND remain even on the comp equation is honestly amazing.  I'm confident JD is factoring that in with what he's doing.  This guy is coming out of the gate in a positive way. 

Think about it. There are FREE draft picks out there for the taking if we just place an emphasis on it.  Amazing!  Imagine that.  lol 

I don’t think that has anything to do with it. The Jets are not a team that should be worrying about comp picks at this point in time. 

I think a lot of things are just working out in the Jets favor with regards to their own free agents. 

If you are Jordan Jenkins, Brian Poole, James Burgess, Neville Hewitt and you are locked into a 1 year deal it’s more likely you will choose to resign with your team as opposed to moving. 

4 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

Favorite quote about James Burgess by Gregg Williams reflecting on their time together at the Browns: "There's a picture that I have in my office," the DC said. "When we played Jacksonville a couple years ago over there, he had 19 tackles, two sacks, six tackles for loss, two hurries, and his helmet looked like back when I played — it was crushed and broken. This is a young man that plays and gives you everything he can and then, he's smart enough to fit in and we adapt when he's in the game."

The best part of that piece was that Williams had the picture of Burgess in his office before Burgess signed with the Jets.

6 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

Given he missed all of last season with a significant injury I'm not sure you'd get more than a bag of kicking tees trading him right now.  Better to hold him unless you need the cap space for a major signing or cut him with no dead money once camp starts and it's clear his play has dropped off...

I;m  not so sure about that. Players get traded coming back off of injury all the time. Hell, we got a 1st and 4th for Revis after he tore his knee up. And Tampa payed him $16 mil for the season on top of that. 

his value most likely won't be what it would be had he not gotten injured but it's not that far from reality that a team hurting for a good linebacker takes a shot at a guy who had slightly better stats than CJ Mosely in 2018.  Avery is a stud and he has value. 

I think Cleveland would love to have him and he would be a part of trade for odell should that unlikely trade were to happen. 

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, GeorgeJetson said:

I don’t think that has anything to do with it. The Jets are not a team that should be worrying about comp picks at this point in time. 

I think a lot of things are just working out in the Jets favor with regards to their own free agents. 

If you are Jordan Jenkins, Brian Poole, James Burgess, Neville Hewitt and you are locked into a 1 year deal it’s more likely you will choose to resign with your team as opposed to moving. 

Disagree.  I think it’s strategic as well.  Are some things going our way?  Sure but that doesn’t mean JD isn’t looking as more picks if possible 

5 hours ago, JTJet said:

Indeed lol. That excites me for the future, seriously. 

Some people dont care cause they are late round, but they are basically like currency to help you move up and down on the draft, especially now that they are able to be traded. 

Isnt there a date where some our vets stop counting as losing compensatory FAs? 

yes there is but i don't remember when that is off the top of my head. Sure I could google it, but meh, i'm not in the mood.  

I'll add that to the comp equation vid I'm putting together.  :)   Either way, it's not for a while.  After the draft I think. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, GeorgeJetson said:

Joe Douglas is absolutely considering the comp picks into his over all plan. He said as much in an interview. He also said that the comp pick idea wouldn't stop him from signing someone who he thought could help the team, but it is being considered. 

It's not all just happenstance that we are dead even on comp picks at this point in FA.  Even if it teeders into the negative Joe already knows who he's not welling to bring back. This is a guy who was raised by ozzie Newsome. Arguably the best GM ever. Then Roseman after that.  There is more to the plan than just throwing money at a bunch of players without thinking.

When talking about our own guys JD already knows who he's willing to retain and who's gone. The math isn't that tough from there for the Jets Front office.  It's pretty clear that JD set his price and stood there for our own players.  Jenkins was rumored to be seeking $12 mil a year. Obviously his market was not what he thought so he took the offer JD offered him on day one. Remember the Connor Hughes tweet that Jenkins was likely a goner? That info was from Jenkins agent who thought the Jets offer was laughable at the time. 5 days later they took it. :)    

Joe D is killing this FA and we still have $36 mil left before cutting Winters or Avery.  I know it's hard to consider but the guy we have looks to be the real deal. I'm even afraid to write that for fear of Jinxing it.  I'm damaged good man.  hahaha 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Joe Douglas is absolutely considering the comp picks into his over all plan. He said as much in an interview. He also said that the comp pick idea wouldn't stop him from signing someone who he thought could help the team, but it is being considered. 

It's not all just happenstance that we are dead even on comp picks at this point in FA.  Even if it teeders into the negative Joe already knows who he's not welling to bring back. This is a guy who was raised by ozzie Newsome. Arguably the best GM ever. Then Roseman after that.  There is more to the plan than just throwing money at a bunch of players without thinking.

When talking about our own guys JD already knows who he's willing to retain and who's gone. The math isn't that tough from there for the Jets Front office.  It's pretty clear that JD set his price and stood there for our own players.  Jenkins was rumored to be seeking $12 mil a year. Obviously his market was not what he thought so he took the offer JD offered him on day one. Remember the Connor Hughes tweet that Jenkins was likely a goner? That info was from Jenkins agent who thought the Jets offer was laughable at the time. 5 days later they took it. :)    

Joe D is killing this FA and we still have $36 mil left before cutting Winters or Avery.  I know it's hard to consider but the guy we have looks to be the real deal. I'm even afraid to write that for fear of Jinxing it.  I'm damaged good man.  hahaha 

Agreed.  Douglas has a plan and so far it’s going according to plan.  I hate when I hear some say “comp picks mean nothing” because that’s not true at all.  JD wants to build primarily through the draft and the more you have more it will help cap wise and depth. Excited to see your video!!!!

8 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

Favorite quote about James Burgess by Gregg Williams reflecting on their time together at the Browns: "There's a picture that I have in my office," the DC said. "When we played Jacksonville a couple years ago over there, he had 19 tackles, two sacks, six tackles for loss, two hurries, and his helmet looked like back when I played — it was crushed and broken. This is a young man that plays and gives you everything he can and then, he's smart enough to fit in and we adapt when he's in the game."

OK Im sold. I want a Burgess Jersey! Really I watched him all season. He flashed in pre-season if I remember. I really like his all out play. Maybe not the most physically gifted but our team needs more players like him!

5 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

Indeed. $20M for one catch and -4 yards (assuming he's done). Enunwa's contract might end up being one the worst contracts ever.

Sent from my SM-G975U using JetNation.com mobile app

So bad. providing entailed injury guarantees to a guy who was injured WHEN he signed the contract may just be the dumbest move in team history.  Seriously. 

Where are the no one wants to play here whiners? We are actually getting home town discounts on some of these signings and Roten took our "insulting" offer and is super happy being a Jet!!! JD is just killing it IMO. We are a better team than last year except at WR right now and we haven't even had the draft or priority UDFA signings yet.

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

So bad. providing entailed injury guarantees to a guy who was injured WHEN he signed the contract may just be the dumbest move in team history.  Seriously. 

No no, resigning a guy with a broken neck and other injury worry’s was a great idea, what can go wrong?

Geez how bad was Maccagnan..