2006 regular season game in London

TaborJet

LONDON GAME A "DONE DEAL"

An industry source with knowledge of the contents of a confidential NFL communication tells us that the league already has decided to play a 2006 regular season game in London's Wembley Stadium.

"It's a done deal," said the source.

The league apparently will hold off on making any announcements regarding the game until more information is obtained regarding ongoing construction at the venue. The official Wembley Stadium web site promises that the new digs will be ready by the May 13 FA Cup final, but recent published reports peg the chances of the work being completed at only 70 percent.

Though the teams remain undetermined, the England game most likely will involve a matchup far more compelling than the 49ers and the Cardinals, who met in Mexico City in 2005. We're also hearing that the game is likely to occur the week before both teams' byes, so that they will have ample time to recover from the trip to Europe before playing their next games.

Because London is five hours ahead of New York, the game undoubtedly won't be a prime-time affair in the USA. Instead, look for either a 1:00 p.m. or 4:00 p.m. Eastern start on a Sunday afternoon.

very interesting idea...where's this blurb from though?

Pro Football Talk...take it for what it's worth. Sometimes that site hits it right on the head, and sometimes it misses.

I don't think we'll see the Jets in London. The NFL probably wants to showcase contending teams.

I don't think it would be the Jets either. Besides not being a contender

they sent them to Tokyo just a few years ago.

But if they do, the five hour difference isn't that bad. I've been there

a few times. As long as they don't eat the food.

Having that game before the teams bye week is a good idea.

I don't care which teams are playing, I will be there.

I doubt it will be the Jets as they are not one of the more popular teams over here. It wouldn't surprise me if the Dolphins were one of the teams, in which case I'll be cheering for their opponents. :D

I am willing to bet the Chiefs will be there. They are a "decent" team (not bottom of the barrel) and Herm is a PR guy. I remember reading that most coaches do not want their teams to travel far and most do not like the tokyo game (except for Herm who takes any publicity he can get).

I am willing to bet the Chiefs will be there. They are a "decent" team (not bottom of the barrel) and Herm is a PR guy. I remember reading that most coaches do not want their teams to travel far and most do not like the tokyo game (except for Herm who takes any publicity he can get).

Agreed.

Sorry, but I'm not a fan of playing these games in other countries...what's the point? Goodwill? Some of these countries perceive American Football the way some of us do with soccer.

The NFL is trying to expand it's market and hosting a meaningfull game in another country is a great way to do that.There is a solid fanbase for football over here and it seems to be growing too.I read somewhere,that in the uk a record number of people called in sick the monday after the superbowl.

It will probably be two East Coast teams because of the quick 5-hour flight.

Giants/Redskins would be one good matchup.

I read earlier that the Giants should be the one to lose the home game for a game at Wembley because they got an extra one this past year because of Katrina. I think that combined with the Skins or Iggles would make the most sense. I am considering going if this happens because it would be a great 'road trip', ****, I went to see the Jets in Baltimore AND Miami this past year and we sucked so a 5 hour flight to London would be nothing.

I went to see the Jets in Baltimore AND Miami this past year and we sucked so a 5 hour flight to London would be nothing.
A 5 hour flight? It's only an hour on the train for me. ;)

Btw, how many people in the US are planning to make this trip? The whole point of this game is to raise the profile of the NFL in Europe, so I'm not sure the league would be too happy if the number of Europeans in the crowd were in the minority. Personally I'm not bothered as long as I get my ticket, I'm just wondering how easy it will be for you guys to get a ticket.

A 5 hour flight? It's only an hour on the train for me. ;)

Btw, how many people in the US are planning to make this trip? The whole point of this game is to raise the profile of the NFL in Europe, so I'm not sure the league would be too happy if the number of Europeans in the crowd were in the minority. Personally I'm not bothered as long as I get my ticket, I'm just wondering how easy it will be for you guys to get a ticket.

That's a good question to which I have no answer. Will the "home team" season ticket holders get first crack as is the norm or will that paticular game be sold separately from the season ticket package and then the available tickets will be sold first to Europeans and second to Americans??? I think a lot of American fans would be a little pissed if they were prevented from seeing their team play.

That's a good question to which I have no answer. Will the "home team" season ticket holders get first crack as is the norm or will that paticular game be sold separately from the season ticket package and then the available tickets will be sold first to Europeans and second to Americans??? I think a lot of American fans would be a little pissed if they were prevented from seeing their team play.
I can see tickets for this game being like gold dust. You will have all of the NFL fans in the UK who want to see the game, regardless of which teams are playing. There will be plenty more people in the UK who are not really fans of the game, but will be there because either, a) It will be one of the first events at the new Wembley Stadium or B) It will attract the corporate element on a networking mission. I'm sure there will also be many more fans from around Europe making the trip, particularly from Germany where the NFL is quite popular. Plus on top of that you have the American fans of the two teams playing who don't want to miss a regular season game, as well as fans of other teams who just want a nice road trip.

Hmm, thinking about it I will be very lucky if I do get a ticket. :(

I would flip out if I was with an NFL team that got sent to the UK in place of a home game. Any team with a decent home-field advantage gets screwed on this. This is almost as bad as granting the Giants a 9th home game last year.

I am thrilled to see the NFL looking at some different scheduling options. The second Monday night game is a good idea, but this is just wrong.

I hate to be the party pooper, but with the recent bombings in Madrid and London, security will be a major pain.

I could definetly see the NFL doing a game in London, having done games in Mexico and Tokyo.

How does this fit in, especially with the rumors about the NFL running a double header for the opener on Monday Night?

So, won't one of the ticket holders get screwed? (gotta be a home game for someone).

BZ

That's interesting BZ. For argument sake suppose it was a jet home game.

Do the ticket holders get reimbursed for the missed game because

they already have paid for the tickets up front.

Not only that the team loses the revenue fromthe tickets, parking fees,

concessions, merchandise, etc.

I can't see the promoters in London giving up the revenue they garner

from hosting the game.

Does anyone know how this situation gets resolved??

I think the home team should be the Giants or New Orleans and I'll give my reaosns for both.

Giants --- I don't care how you phrase it or say it, they had 9 home games this season no matter if the Saints were called the "home team"....in GIANTS STADIUM...with 90-95% Giants fans and most of them season ticket holders. They now should have to give up a home game and have 7 at Giants Stadium and 1 in London against either Dallas, Washington or Philadelphia.

New Orleans --- They're home won't be ready for October...why not a Week 3 game @ London then a bye week and then the real home opener at the new and improved Superdome?

That's interesting BZ. For argument sake suppose it was a jet home game.

Do the ticket holders get reimbursed for the missed game because

they already have paid for the tickets up front.

Not only that the team loses the revenue fromthe tickets, parking fees,

concessions, merchandise, etc.

I can't see the promoters in London giving up the revenue they garner

from hosting the game.

Does anyone know how this situation gets resolved??

All I can say is I better get some money back or the ticket in London.

Either way, I pay for 10 tickets a year (full price for pre-season games)

BZ

Archived