Darnold's Best Game?

"Poll Title"  

74 members have voted

1. 1. What is big dick Darnold's best game as a NY Jet so far?

• 280 Yds, 2 TDs, 1 INT in Win vs. Colts
    • 341 Yds, 3 TDs, 0 INTs in Loss vs Packers
    • 293 Yds, 4 TDs, 1 INT in Win vs Redskins
    • 338 Yds, 2 TDs, 1 INT in Win vs Cowboys
    • 315 Yds, 3 TDs (2 Pass, 1 Rush), 0 INT in Win vs Raiders
    • Other

11 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

.this kid has racked up more than just a handful of really good performances.  Not all of them wins (ex. Packers), but there's more than just a slight trend of him stringing some really good games together.  Given what he's been surrounded by in terms of OLine and "weapons" AND the fact he's been asked to play in two offensive systems in two years, I really think he might deserve more credit than he gets from both media and some fans. 

FOUR 300 yard games.

so, i disagree that its more than a handful. its  kinda the definition of a handful.

He's never had 2 300 yd games in a row. ended last year w/ 3 games under 220, and the last 2 under 200.

That said. I think his peak will be a having 8 games a year that are above 300. He's gotta cut this sh*t with these sub 200 games. thats just not winning qbing.

2 hours ago, Losmeister said:

FOUR 300 yard games.

so, i disagree that its more than a handful. its  kinda the definition of a handful.

He's never had 2 300 yd games in a row. ended last year w/ 3 games under 220, and the last 2 under 200.

That said. I think his peak will be a having 8 games a year that are above 300. He's gotta cut this sh*t with these sub 200 games. thats just not winning qbing.

Didn’t the Jets win the last two games? How is that not winning qbing if his team literally won. 

Have you watched the NFL recently? 300yds passing is not what it used to be. There is a reason why Jameis Winston is looking for a job right now. 

10 hours ago, Philc1 said:

The Tebow trade wrecked Sanchez in 2012.  He went from a struggling QB to a lame duck QB because he had the owner’s hero on the bench waiting to take his job

Tebow was never a backup QB waiting in the wings.

He took a single handful of snaps in the WC early and that was it.  This is a horrible excuse for Sanchez failing.  Sanchez failed because he stopped developing.  

17 hours ago, nico002 said:

Says a lot that he’s got so many gems to pick from with the trash teams that have been put around him. I honestly can’t remember a single game from Sanchez that was equivalent- meaning a game where you felt he was the best player on the field.

Last week my son and I rewatched the Jets-Pats playoff game from 2010. We couldn't believe how we won the game with Sanchez at QB.   It was shocking.

I voted other because when I look at Sam Darnold's career so far, the most impressive game he's played IMO was vs. the Ravens. Yeah, they got blown out and he didnt have his best statistical game but it was more about the overall effort and how he responded than it was his statistical performance/outcome.  It was the first time I really saw him show that competitive fight or grit or is that the best you got or ll take another or knocked off the horse but jumped right back on type of mentality that I think the greats possess.  

Maybe his best games were Texans/Packers/Cowboys/Raiders, he played great in all those games but but I'm not sure they challenged him the way the Ravens did and he was required to respond the same way.  I dont know how to describe it.  Maybe like...saving a par after you drive into the woods and had to punch out.  You've par'd the hole 20 times before but not like that...if that makes sense.   I think that matters in the makeup of a young QB.  Especially one who earlier that season threw 7 picks in 2 games and was seeing "ghosts".  

• Post of the Week 2

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I voted other because when I look at Sam Darnold's career so far, the most impressive game he's played IMO was vs. the Ravens. Yeah, they got blown out and he didnt have his best statistical game but it was more about the overall effort and how he responded than it was his statistical performance/outcome.  It was the first time I really saw him show that competitive fight or grit or is that the best you got or ll take another or knocked off the horse but jumped right back on type of mentality that I think the greats possess.  

Maybe his best games were Texans/Packers/Cowboys/Raiders, he played great in all those games but but I'm not sure they challenged him the way the Ravens did and he was required to respond the same way.  I dont know how to describe it.  Maybe like...saving a par after you drive into the woods and had to punch out.  You've par'd the whole 20 times before but not like that...if that makes sense.   I think that matters in the makeup of a young QB.  Especially one who earlier that season threw 7 picks in 2 games and was seeing "ghosts".  

Funny you mentioned the Ravens game because I generally feel the same way about it, and almost included it in the poll for the reasons you stated above.

Quickly looking at the stats wouldn't do him justice, but in actually watching that game, he was our best player on the field, and it wasn't all that close.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Daddy Wang Doodle said:

Funny you mentioned the Ravens game because I generally feel the same way about it, and almost included it in the poll for the reasons you stated above.

Quickly looking at the stats wouldn't do him justice, but in actually watching that game, he was our best player on the field, and it wasn't all that close.

I was highly concerned with Darnold's mental make up.  Especially after the ending scene in Miami with him not attempting to kick the ball out of the endzone on the bad snap and just walking away from the play.  I thought he was a mental midget who was already ruined.  He bounced back spectacularly the rest of the year and the performance vs. the Ravens was the one that restored my faith in him having the moxy to be great.  He grinded that game and made a lot of jaw dropping plays and throws.  I can just remember watching Jackson and it was like he was doing basic dives off the 3 foot diving board while Sam was doing triple lindy's off the 20 foot board

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Maybe his best games were Texans/Packers/Cowboys/Raiders, he played great in all those games but but I'm not sure they challenged him the way the Ravens did and he was required to respond the same way.  I dont know how to describe it.  Maybe like...saving a par after you drive into the woods and had to punch out.  You've par'd the whole 20 times before but not like that...if that makes sense.   I think that matters in the makeup of a young QB.  Especially one who earlier that season threw 7 picks in 2 games and was seeing "ghosts".  

I was, honestly, gonna post something similar, but didn't think many people would agree because of the statistics.

• Upvote 1

My favorite Jets game from last year was the Ravens game. They fought like bastards in that one, all the way to the end. Darnold finished with 218 yards, 2 TDs and a pick, but he battled. Even Bell looked like he was a different dude that day, averaging over 4 ypc. The OL only gave up one sack. They got blown out, but you had to love the effort

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, Losmeister said:

FOUR 300 yard games.

Just for the record, Lamar Jackson just won the MVP having multiple sub 300, and even 200, yard games.  The Ravens were the best team in the AFC with that style of ball.

Josh Allen has never thrown for 300 yards, has had multiple sub 200 yard games and the Bills won plenty.

Now, yes, they run more than Sam, however, if we're counting rushing yards, I am pretty sure he's had back-to-back 300 yard performances.

Agreed that Sam has plenty he needs to work on, but yardage isn't anything I'm worried about.  He can definitely put up numbers in that department.

51 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Just for the record, Lamar Jackson just won the MVP having multiple sub 300, and even 200, yard games.  The Ravens were the best team in the AFC with that style of ball.

Josh Allen has never thrown for 300 yards, has had multiple sub 200 yard games and the Bills won plenty.

Now, yes, they run more than Sam, however, if we're counting rushing yards, I am pretty sure he's had back-to-back 300 yard performances.

Agreed that Sam has plenty he needs to work on, but yardage isn't anything I'm worried about.  He can definitely put up numbers in that department.

never compare Sam to LJ, its just not fair to the poor kid. call me when Sam has 30+ TD and fewer than 10 INT

59 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

My favorite Jets game from last year was the Ravens game. They fought like bastards in that one, all the way to the end. Darnold finished with 218 yards, 2 TDs and a pick, but he battled. Even Bell looked like he was a different dude that day, averaging over 4 ypc. The OL only gave up one sack. They got blown out, but you had to love the effort

they battled for almost the whole forst half

3rd Q...  d forces punt, we go 3 n out

d forces punt we get a first down then sam fumbles on a sack

they score a TD

we go 3 n out

they score-  35-7 game over....

51 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

never compare Sam to LJ, its just not fair to the poor kid. call me when Sam has 30+ TD and fewer than 10 INT

I didn't compare the two of them.  I used them as examples that you don't need to have high yardage in order to play winning football.