Iowa Perspective And Other Stuff

KRL

- I would like to hear from @HawkeyeJet about the situation from last night.
With a choice between Wirfs and Becton I thought Douglas would go with the
safer Iowa pedigree.  Was there something lacking in Wirfs game that allowed
him to drop to #13?

- Becton was the most "dangerous" OT in the draft.  He has the highest ceiling
but also the lowest floor and the drug test issue didn't help.  His selection
tells me Douglas is willing to take a swing on talent, which I appreciate.  Let's
hope Becton trends towards Jonathan Ogden and not Ereck Flowers

- With a choice of two tackles at #11, I wonder if Douglas tried to dupe
OAK/LV into moving up one spot to get the WR they wanted?

- Day 2 is where Douglas needs to hit a HR, we need to come out with three
starters (WR, CB, Edge) 

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i was hoping wills fell to 11 so we could see who douglas wanted among those 3.

Reports were saying Wills would not be a good fit if he had to learn a detailed zone scheme. Not sure he would have been thr pick.

I’d have to think based on scheme fit, and career projection they had Bechton 1 Thomas 2 Wills 3 Wirfs 4.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Long Island Leprechaun said:

I'm betting Douglas saw Wirfs as a guard at the pro level, not a LT. He would not be alone in that assessment. As many analysts have noted, Becton is a natural LT. 

This is exactly right and why Wirfs fell out of the top 10. Going to be a good player, but I doubt he ever starts at LT.

29 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

In my opinion I believe the ultimate determining factor was position projection.  I would guess the Jets had Becton and Wirfs graded relatively close.  Both are extremely big, athletic maulers with big upside.  Both have a few areas to clean up technique wise, but overall still solid in that area.  I've seen the term "project" used for both guys, which I think is ridiculous.  A project is someone who is all "traits" and little to no production.  These guys produced at high levels 

Back to my thought on position projection, ultimately I think Becton was the choice because he's potentially LT from day 1, and likely LT by year 2.  While I believe Wirfs could play LT eventually, he's going to be a much better RT than LT.  I think he'd be just OK at LT eventually if he ever makes it there at all.  I've said this about Wirfs in a few other posts throughout the draft lead up.  My only thing with Wirfs at Iowa, is sometimes he just wasn't as dominant as you'd expect someone with that program(as you said the Iowa pedigree) and those tools to be.  I couldn't tell you why he didn't, sometimes he just wasn't as great as you would expect.  That's not to say he was ever bad, but there was just something I could never put my finger on.  

I would have been fine either way.  I would have loved to have Wirfs.  He's a very good kid and a great story, but Becton seems to be as well, so I have no complaints.

Thank you!!!

• Upvote 2

Nobody helped themselves at the combine more than Wirfs.  I wonder if this would even have been a debate otherwise.  Becton helped himself also, but not to the extent of Wirfs, who literally put up a Mike Mamula type performance.  HawkeyeJet's comments on the lack of expected dominance was interesting and not something I'd heard much.  End of the day, I'm fully prepared to let JD be the expert here and hope he guessed right.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

In my opinion I believe the ultimate determining factor was position projection.  I would guess the Jets had Becton and Wirfs graded relatively close.  Both are extremely big, athletic maulers with big upside.  Both have a few areas to clean up technique wise, but overall still solid in that area.  I've seen the term "project" used for both guys, which I think is ridiculous.  A project is someone who is all "traits" and little to no production.  These guys produced at high levels 

Back to my thought on position projection, ultimately I think Becton was the choice because he's potentially LT from day 1, and likely LT by year 2.  While I believe Wirfs could play LT eventually, he's going to be a much better RT than LT.  I think he'd be just OK at LT eventually if he ever makes it there at all.  I've said this about Wirfs in a few other posts throughout the draft lead up.  My only thing with Wirfs at Iowa, is sometimes he just wasn't as dominant as you'd expect someone with that program(as you said the Iowa pedigree) and those tools to be.  I couldn't tell you why he didn't, sometimes he just wasn't as great as you would expect.  That's not to say he was ever bad, but there was just something I could never put my finger on.  

I would have been fine either way.  I would have loved to have Wirfs.  He's a very good kid and a great story, but Becton seems to be as well, so I have no complaints.

Sure as heck is. The thing with the red carpet for his mom was wonderful. Where do you think Epenesa goes? I could see the Pats.They have #37 with the trade, right?

12 minutes ago, section314 said:

Sure as heck is. The thing with the red carpet for his mom was wonderful. Where do you think Epenesa goes? I could see the Pats.They have #37 with the trade, right?

I think Pats or Lions would be great landing spots for him, perfect defensive scheme to utilize him. So Titans would fit too, I do t know where they pick though.