Risky Pick Mims

3 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Off the top of my head, Michael Crabtree and Wes Welker both came from the big 12, didn't they? 

Yeah, I'm not a big "this conference doesn't produce good players at this position" guy

And Josh Gordon came from Baylor.  I know he was a f**k up.  But the talent and production he flashed when he was actually available was transcendent.  Arguably the best WR in the league when on the field.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Jets723 said:

Once again negative for the sake of being negative.  Every pick is a risk.  But getting a 1st round talent at 59 AND getting more draft capital is a RISK I Will take every time 

That was remarkable. I was psssed he traded down to be honest. But it worked. Amazing.

• Upvote 2

The excitement of Mims being available and then suddenly seeing Seattle on the clock was horrific drinking moment. How did I miss the Jets pick I thought. JD hasn’t given us anything yet to doubt him so I trusted his decision as was over the moon with joy when we still got him.

He is has lots of potential and if Sam is indeed the man and has protection then he will make Mims even better.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

I am with the OP on Mims.  I believe he is a risky pick.

When I watched his tape, I saw a player with great athleticism.  Maybe the highest ceiling of the day 2 WRs.  

HOWEVER, something about his game bothers me.  Mims looked very disinterested when he knew he wasnt getting the ball.   His effort as a run blocker on many plays was dreadful.   He had too many drops.

I think Mims slid because GMs felt the same thing I did.  He has a really low floor.

I much preferred KJ Hamler or Pittman.

9 hours ago, Copernicus said:

Absolutely love the pick. Why do you think he fell so far? 

I posted my thoughts on why he fell.  Mims makes me really nervous. 

I would not have drafted him at all without a thorough interview process with him, coaches, etc.

It's a gut feeling about him.

16 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I posted my thoughts on why he fell.  Mims makes me really nervous. 

I would not have drafted him at all without a thorough interview process with him, coaches, etc.

It's a gut feeling about him.

Well they did interview him twice, so.

22 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I am with the OP on Mims.  I believe he is a risky pick.

When I watched his tape, I saw a player with great athleticism.  Maybe the highest ceiling of the day 2 WRs.  

HOWEVER, something about his game bothers me.  Mims looked very disinterested when he knew he wasnt getting the ball.   His effort as a run blocker on many plays was dreadful.   He had too many drops.

I think Mims slid because GMs felt the same thing I did.  He has a really low floor.

I much preferred KJ Hamler or Pittman.

You couldn't be more wrong. Mims is actually an active and effective blocker. Half of his drops (11 of 24) were in one season when he had a hand injury. You have a right to your opinion, but he's frankly a major steal. Becton/Mims is a dream 1-2 draft for the Jets.

My feeling is that if Mims were picked where we expected (early 2nd round) then there wouldn't be this big concern on the forum.  The fact that he fell a little further than expected (heck, we needed him but traded down) is the cause of all of this.  The truth is we don't know jack.

• Sympathy 1