Huff vs Zuniga vs Clowney

3 minutes ago, edscuba said:

Do the JETS keep both Huff and Zuniga? How do you see them playing? Together? Or one starter and other backup? Would getting and paying known pass rush like Clowney still be a good idea. Thoughts?

“Known pass rush” doesn’t really apply to Clowney.  He is very disruptive but has never had a lot of sacks.  Zuniga might be similar to Clowney because he was moved around on defense, but Huff is more of a pass rush type player.  Or at least it seems that way on his tape

I mean, they drafted Zuniga in the 3rd. You would think they scouted him and know what he is capable of and where he can play. To me he seems like an athletic power edge guy who can rush the passer, hold up against the run and move inside if needed. Don't think he can stand up and cover like a true versatile OLB, but again, he's athletic so maybe the Jets think they can expand his skill set. 

Huff is a very similar player but he's not the same type of athlete. Can there be roles for both players along with guys like K.Phillips, Basham and Jenkins, for sure. In fact, it seems like when signing Huff as an UDFA GW discussed his specific role. Somebody posted a thread about it. The question is how will all the players fit on the roster. All the D-linemen, ILBs, CBs, and now Edge/OLBs? There's going to be a lot of competition and probably some roster moves we maybe haven't expected.    

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, edscuba said:

Do the JETS keep both Huff and Zuniga? How do you see them playing? Together? Or one starter and other backup? Would getting and paying known pass rush like Clowney still be a good idea. Thoughts?

We’re going to see a lot of moving pieces on defense which all boils down to getting our best 11 on the field.  

Toward the end of the season, I believe a popular set will resemble a hybrid 4-3 with Huff/Zuniga/Jenkins rotating the two DE spots, Q/Fat/McLendon rotating the two DT spots. Jamal playing WLB (call him a dimeLB if you want; call this a man-under-nickle; whatever)... it’s a 4-3 with two fatties, two pass rushers, and three safeties, playing alongside TWO badass ILBs. We have zone CBs and press CBs, pick your flavor based on down/distance. 

If I’m GW, I’m stoked with this unit. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

I think Huff has a chance as a role player on 3rd and long situations.  He'll likely be a rotational guy in pass rush situations if he makes the team.  Depending on how many OLBs are kept on the roster (4-5?) I could see him sneaking a spot behind Jenkins, Basham, Zuniga and Luvu.

My guess is that Huff becomes this year's "Preseason Wonder" like WR David Clowney and others have in the past.  (If we have a preseason) I think Huff is the kind of guy who will get some reps for evaluation and then likely be a starter in the final preseason game when all the regulars are rested.  He'll light it up vs. 2nd and 3rd stringers and we'll fall in love.

9 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

We’re going to see a lot of moving pieces on defense which all boils down to getting our best 11 on the field.  

Toward the end of the season, I believe a popular set will resemble a hybrid 4-3 with Huff/Zuniga/Jenkins rotating the two DE spots, Q/Fat/McLendon rotating the two DT spots. Jamal playing WLB (call him a dimeLB if you want; call this a man-under-nickle; whatever)... it’s a 4-3 with two fatties, two pass rushers, and three safeties, playing alongside TWO badass ILBs. We have zone CBs and press CBs, pick your flavor based on down/distance. 

What are the roles of Basham, Shepherd, Anderson, Philips and then Peanut, Burgess, Cashman, Hewitt at LB. It's a lot of guys that made contributions to the team last year (Peanut a new addition who I think the Jets are excited about, Anderson a starter last year). 

Just wondering how you fit all of these guys. 

45 minutes ago, derp said:

Zuniga will be on the team. Huff is competing with guys like Basham, Luvu, and Willis for his roster spot. Think two, maybe three of those four make it.

Luvu may have a problem.  He is a tough good football player but a man without a position. Specials may save him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

I see us playing a lot of big nickel as well.

Basham is likely going to be ahead of our rookies in depth chart though. He was effective in spot duties last year.

I could also see us playing 3 Safeties and 3 Corners. Poole is another guy who hits like a LB. So having him on the field doesn’t hamper our run D too much.

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Zuniga for sure makes the team.  Huff-I hope so, think he has a good shot for an UDFA.  Clowney?  Really don't understand why people want him, but what ever.  I hope not

Huff is going to surprise people. He was my really good edge rusher no one talked  about. His bowl game versus Penn St. was impressive. 

• Upvote 1

I see Anderson & Luvu on the proverbial bubble. Gotta love JD creating competition, guys will have to fight their azzes off to keep their jobs from these young hungry UDFAs we’ve signed. Guys will be kept that stand out in GWs scheme fits. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

What are the roles of Basham, Shepherd, Anderson, Philips and then Peanut, Burgess, Cashman, Hewitt at LB. It's a lot of guys that made contributions to the team last year (Peanut a new addition who I think the Jets are excited about, Anderson a starter last year). 

I was just saying one “popular” set I could see them running, it wouldn’t be exclusive, I’d imagine anyone (including depth players) would have a role and see playing time. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

I was just saying one “popular” set I could see them running, it wouldn’t be exclusive, I’d imagine anyone (including depth players) would have a role and see playing time. 

It’s pretty amazing how we went from zero depth to what we have now. I forgot about Peanut & his versatility & then you add Mosely, Adams, Davis it might look ? like a Chinese fire drill in front of these young QBs we play against. Put in a few of those Dline shifts that Belichick came up with with all that pre snap movement in our secondary & LB group and there is no way your not upsetting young QBs or getting Olines to move prematurely. 
Pumped about the possibilities with this athletic group. 

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

Depth, a fresh rotation, injuries (though I doubt we can get as hammered as we were lat year - a real statistical outlier.)  And since GW is thankfully wedded to good play, not favoritism, earning time on the field, these guys are going to be playing like mad dogs. I am really optimistic, no matter who's on our schedule, because I don't think our opponents are going to be quite ready for what GW will be serving up.