OT: Stay at home makes you a better cook?

On 6/5/2020 at 4:32 PM, Kleckineau said:

Good advice. Tilapia (a made up marketing name) are farmed, raised in filthy net pens and eat their own sh!t over and over until some more garbage food is thrown in. They are prone to disease because of the crowded pens so they are constantly fed antibiotics. They are also flooded with pesticides because of sea lice. They were indigenous to the Nile river but when it was found they were easy to be raised they were brought over for farming. UGHHHHHHH...

They caught a guy raising tilapia in fish tanks in a Bronx housing project apartment and selling it commercially. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, jetfan61 said:

Tonight's menu, orrechetti with broccoli rabe and Italian sausage.  Desert will be bananas Foster and cappuccino. 

I miss restaurants but haven't skipped a beat with food quality. Been cooking since I was 12 years old. 

9081.jpeg

Nice!  I started cooking at the same age.  Orecchiette is what I use for this dish, too. :-)

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Il Mostro said:

Nice!  I started cooking at the same age.  Orecchiette is what I use for this dish, too. :-)

My father was off the boat and mother second generation born in the US... Growing up Italian revolves around food. 

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

Have you made pizza on a grill?  Did for first time this week and turned out okay. 

Not yet.  I can get my oven up to 600+ degrees and use a thick ceramic stone.  I've lined my oven with Grill Greats which are made from the same ceramic material that was used on the Space Shuttle.

I bought the BBQ Dragon Grill Stone so I will try to use my Weber as a wood fired pizza oven soon.  Right after I get down with my Santa Maria Grill attachment. :-)  Got my laser thermometer to monitor the stone's temp.  Technique should be about the same.  I cook at a lower temp when making Nona/Grandma Pie.

On 6/5/2020 at 3:28 PM, More Cowbell said:

With all the restaurants just having takeout, I have been experimenting in the kitchen with different kinds of seafood and cuts of meat. I have actually gotten much better at making fish and I think tuna steaks are going to be a permanent addition to any grilling activities I do. I use to just make flounder and salmon but have added cod, tuna, swordfish,  and tilapia. Also got better with meat. Tenderizing a steak is like magic. 

Anyone else up there cooking game?

can't say i'm a better cook but what it does do is show that we pay a huge price for the convenience of going to a restaurant, even a fast food one.  except for not being able to easily find flour and yeast, there hasn't been much impediment to cooking meals in a relatively short period of time that are edible.  i usually cook enough for a couple of days so the next day just consists of heating and serving.  and the cost of the food is less money than going out and it really doesn't take much time to prepare.  and it's not like there's a whole lot else that one can do if not cooking.