OT: Stay at home makes you a better cook?

With all the restaurants just having takeout, I have been experimenting in the kitchen with different kinds of seafood and cuts of meat. I have actually gotten much better at making fish and I think tuna steaks are going to be a permanent addition to any grilling activities I do. I use to just make flounder and salmon but have added cod, tuna, swordfish,  and tilapia. Also got better with meat. Tenderizing a steak is like magic. 

Anyone else up there cooking game?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, slats said:

Tilapia is garbage, you should avoid it. Tuna and swordfish are nice, but the bigger predatory fish have more heavy metals and should probably be consumed less frequently. 

Good advice. Tilapia (a made up marketing name) are farmed, raised in filthy net pens and eat their own sh!t over and over until some more garbage food is thrown in. They are prone to disease because of the crowded pens so they are constantly fed antibiotics. They are also flooded with pesticides because of sea lice. They were indigenous to the Nile river but when it was found they were easy to be raised they were brought over for farming. UGHHHHHHH...

• Upvote 3

Being in quarantine with my wife and now a newborn child, I had no choice but to up my cheffing skills. I definitely improved and will probably look to cook more going forward  rather than go out to restaurants.

15 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Good advice. Tilapia (a made up marketing name) are farmed, raised in filthy net pens and eat their own sh!t over and over until some more garbage food is thrown in. They are prone to disease because of the crowded pens so they are constantly fed antibiotics. They are also flooded with pesticides because of sea lice. They were indigenous to the Nile river but when it was found they were easy to be raised they were brought over for farming. UGHHHHHHH...

Really? All this time I thought it was a Mediterranean fish.

Thanks @slats and @Kleckineau

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

Most Tilapia that you buy is your local grocery or fish market is farm raised....so you should avoid it.

No Omega 3 in tilapia.  And raised in filthy conditions, as is Basa. Basa sounds good right? Like Bass?  No, mostly Vietnamese (and other SEA) catfish raised in polluted ponds and chock full of chemicals (intended and unintended).  Aside from wild salmon, wild steelhead and wild trout eat only wild caught ocean fish in the USA.  No Norwegian or "Atlantic" salmon. Japan has extraordinary farmed fish. They harvest very small fish born and captured in the wild and finish them in very large fisheries in the ocean. Also, watch out for farmed shrimp and prawns -- equally bad.  Farmed oysters and uni (sea urchin) are fine.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

With all the restaurants just having takeout, I have been experimenting in the kitchen with different kinds of seafood and cuts of meat. I have actually gotten much better at making fish and I think tuna steaks are going to be a permanent addition to any grilling activities I do. I use to just make flounder and salmon but have added cod, tuna, swordfish,  and tilapia. Also got better with meat. Tenderizing a steak is like magic. 

Anyone else up there cooking game?

If you want to branch out into baking, let me know. I'm a pastry chef.

2 hours ago, slats said:

Tilapia is garbage, you should avoid it. Tuna and swordfish are nice, but the bigger predatory fish have more heavy metals and should probably be consumed less frequently. 

Have you been in the Caribbean?  Swordfish empandas are the bomb.  I get your point, but nothing beats the Japanese people who love raw whales and dolphins. 

49 minutes ago, 82nd Airborne said:

Have you been in the Caribbean?  Swordfish empandas are the bomb.  I get your point, but nothing beats the Japanese people who love raw whales and dolphins. 

I live on the Caribbean. :) 

I eat tons of seafood in my little fishing village. Most of it comes fresh from the second largest reef on Earth, about a ten minute boat ride away. It’s the best! Some of it, you have to be careful. We have a lot of that basa garbage here, too. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, slats said:

I live on the Caribbean. :) 

I eat tons of seafood in my little fishing village. Most of it comes fresh from the second largest reef on Earth, about a ten minute boat ride away. It’s the best! Some of it, you have to be careful. We have a lot of that basa garbage here, too. 

Heading to PR on Sunday.

• Upvote 1

I grew up in a German (both sides) family.  So it was sauerkraut (that's just cabbage, I dont know if that's an English adaptation of a German dish or whatever) mashed potatoes, and various sausages all the time.  Occasionally meat loaf...  Then Braunschweiger sandwiches... I lived on those sandwiches as a kid.  And the men always have beer on Sundays after church.  What is that like a rule?  Dad takes you to church.  Then while he has a beer, you eat Limburger Cheese sandwiches and Grandpa then tells you how sh*tty everything was. And you'll be disciplined and enjoy it.  Interesting way to grow up.  I've dropped most of it  but still keep the Braunschweiger.

• Sympathy 1

20 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Tilapia are cichlids, basically a large version of aquarium fish.

BTW, "Chilean Sea Bass" is actually the Patagonian Tooth Fish. 

• Upvote 2

On 6/5/2020 at 4:04 PM, 82nd Airborne said:

There are a few whale specialty restaurants but very few and far between. Whale and dolphin is only a seasonal nostalgic thing for older Japanese. Whale used to be prevalent on school lunch menus decades ago, hence one of the reasons for the nostalgia. There are so many good species of fish in Japan that are eaten cooked in various ways, too.  It's not all about raw fish as many assume.  Heck, you can get great very inexpensive grilled fish to go, like saba and sanma, at local groceries and even conbini. It's food heaven.

• Upvote 1

And we have to have the swine. Smoked in my drum smoker using 100% post  oak and simple Texas style SPG rub.  Essentially pork butt treated like a Texas brisket.  Sauce accompanying the taco is Aaron Franklin's classic sauce as used at the restaurant.

IMG_20200510_192701.jpg

IMG_20200510_194524.jpg

IMG_20200510_201442__01.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1