Who NYJ pick depends on TEN pick

bitonti

If Brick goes to Tennessee, Cutler is the pick.

If Cutler goes to Tennessee, Brick is the pick.

it's just that simple.

:box:

And if TEN takes Vince Young? (Not that I think he's worth that pick, just that I've heard it speculated that they want McNair to groom VY)

If Brick goes to Tennessee, Cutler is the pick.

If Cutler goes to Tennessee, Brick is the pick.

it's just that simple.

:box:

i don't see tannenbaum/mangini putting $20M+ signing bonus into a tackle. every move they are trying to make right now is around being fiscally responsible w/respect to the cap.

i could maybe see them putting that kind of $$ into a QB but not a OT. cutler @ 4 would get a bigger SB than brady and he has won 3 less super bowls and never thrown an nfl pass.

jets will trade down. no way do they take brick @ 4.

Unless they can't find a trading partner, the Jets are trading down.

Get used to it now, b/c that's what's happening.

Lower SB for an unproven player + at least an extra high 2nd-rounder & still pick in the top half of the draft.

If they were able (unlikely), I'd be all for trading down twice (to ~#10, then again to ~#15). In a draft like this, where guys going #50 would be sure to go in round 1 in a weaker draft like '03 or '05?

1st rounder ~#15

1st rounder (Abe) ~#20

2nd-rounder #35

2nd rounder ~#42

2nd rounder ~#48

More than enough for an outstanding OT (Justice/McNeill/Winston), Bit's "running game on two legs" Jean-Giles, next two BPA and give up one of those 2nd's for Schaub (or trade down from #10 to #15 even-up for Schaub).

who is going to trade up for a pick the Jets don't want?

mark my words... They are sticking at 4. They don't really have a choice.

by the way if the jets trade down and the team trading up takes Cutler (likely trade-up target), and Cutler turns into the next all-pro it will be an unqualified draft disaster.

i don't see tannenbaum/mangini putting $20M+ signing bonus into a tackle. every move they are trying to make right now is around being fiscally responsible w/respect to the cap.

i could maybe see them putting that kind of $$ into a QB but not a OT. cutler @ 4 would get a bigger SB than brady and he has won 3 less super bowls and never thrown an nfl pass.

jets will trade down. no way do they take brick @ 4.

Maybe you're right, but I'll argue that the jets would be hard pressed to pass on a potential great LT in DBrick. If he does turn out like Walter Jones, Orlando pace, Jonathan Ogden, Tarik Glenn, etc, then the $20M+ would be well worth the price.

Great LT's come at a premium, and Jf the jets can also acquire someone like Schaub, the peace of mind knowing that this cornerstone could be locked up for 5+ years, while protecting your young QB is unequaled.

The Jets will also be looking for a replacement for Martin, and again, I like the thought that my stud RB could be running off tackle for years with a potential great.

Although we have many needs, the thought of passing on an LT like DBrick is hard. Jumbo Elliot, and the other LT's I mentioned were pillars for years. I'd like to have a pillar like that protecting my stud QB and RB.

by the way if the jets trade down and the team trading up takes Cutler (likely trade-up target), and Cutler turns into the next all-pro it will be an unqualified draft disaster.

This is before the combine etc. I'll mark these words, because I believe you are wrong. The Raiders, Dolphins, among others could get hot to trot oer someone they may believe won't be there when the draft. The draft is still a few months away, and I suspect we will move down.

We really don't know what the Jets will do. They could trade down though, because Oakland, Green Bay, Atlanta, Miami, Arizona, and Denver are all after players that could fall at #4.

Oakland, Green Bay, Atlanta and Denver are all in need of a pass rusher. NY could trade Abe, but then his new deal might be prohibitive given their cap situations.

Oakland, Miami and Arizona could all be in the market for a QB.

We could argue about the rationale for each trade, etc but the options are there. Jay Cutler and Mario Williams' performance at the Combine could drastically affect how the Jets approach the draft.

everyone is assuming trade down is the most likely move, well history has shown it's hard thing to do - there needs to be demand for the pick and it can't be from a team within the division.

If the Jets are sitting there with Cutler on the board, pass on him and Miami trades up to 6 to take him - and if he's good, that is a draft decision that has instant ramefications within the division.

The only players people are going to willing to trade up for at 4 are Brick and Cutler and who needs OL and QB more than the Jets?

Trading down with a possible franchise QB and franchise LT on the board would be a mistake of Parcellsian proportions.

Remember the draft of 1997. :box:

I agree BIT but truthfully I have never seen anything in CUTLER! I am not a scout, so what do I know? I like OMAR JACOBS in RD 2 or 3 for us!

I agree BIT but truthfully I have never seen anything in CUTLER! I am not a scout, so what do I know? I like OMAR JACOBS in RD 2 or 3 for us!

TEN could take Cutler at 3 and make the question a moot point. you live nearby- bottom line the fact that Vandy beat Tennessee is all anyone needs to know about Jay Cutler. VY beat USC but their defense is terrible and he had alot of help.

TEN could take Cutler at 3 and make the question a moot point. you live nearby- bottom line the fact that Vandy beat Tennessee is all anyone needs to know about Jay Cutler. VY beat USC but their defense is terrible and he had alot of help.

Ya, we all know how great Tennesee was this season.

bit - i understand that you put a lot of time into scouting players and the draft is a passion of yours but i can't understand how you can dismiss the idea of trading down.

when was the last time a team won the superbowl and had 1 player who received over $20M in signing bonus? what's even worse is that the jets player @ 4 would get $20M+ without ever playing a down in the NFL (which is more $$ than brady got after winning 2 super bowls).

in the salary cap era of the nfl it is all about the team not the star.

everyone is assuming trade down is the most likely move, well history has shown it's hard thing to do - there needs to be demand for the pick and it can't be from a team within the division.

If the Jets are sitting there with Cutler on the board, pass on him and Miami trades up to 6 to take him - and if he's good, that is a draft decision that has instant ramefications within the division.

The only players people are going to willing to trade up for at 4 are Brick and Cutler and who needs OL and QB more than the Jets?

Trading down with a possible franchise QB and franchise LT on the board would be a mistake of Parcellsian proportions.

Remember the draft of 1997. :box:

if the jets can trade down to the 8-10 range and add a 2nd rd pick that is the best of all worlds:

there is still value @ 8-10 (ngata, any OT not named ferguson??)

a player @ 8-10 is not nearly as expensive as 4

the additional 2nd can get a QB (schaub or croyle)

if the jets draft @ 4 they spend a fortune on an unproven player to plug 1 hole. if the jets can move down they spend the same amount of $$ and fill at least 2 if not.

Here is the best article I've ever seen on Cutler, filled with comments from Fisher (who coached Cutler in the senior bowl), and several other NFL big shots, with a thank you to Draft Daddy for having the link on their site:

A Cutler aboveBy Charles Robinson, Yahoo! Sports

February 17, 2006

charles_robinson2.jpgyse_lo_70x24_2.gifBy the time his last Senior Bowl practice had wrapped up in January, the NFL draft's magic carpet had already whisked Jay Cutler away.

The Miami Dolphins wanted the Vanderbilt quarterback for another 45 minutes of interviews. The Tennessee Titans' coaching staff had scribbled out a final list of things for him to work on. Scouts, coaches and personnel men had spent days buzzing about his raw talents. Even his Senior Bowl teammates

"You won't see him play scared," an AFC scout said of Cutler. "He's got (guts). That's going to get him into some trouble (in the NFL) when those windows he's throwing (into) close a lot faster. He'll learn it the hard way, but that's a better problem to have than with a guy who is afraid to let it rip."

That certainly wasn't a problem at the Senior Bowl. Most who watched Cutler remarked how he was throwing the football at 100 miles per hour in every situation.

Said Savage: "It's obvious someone said to him, 'Hey, throw every ball as hard as you can to impress the NFL people.' "

But that strength is something coaches are trying to refine. Cutler is not as polished or NFL-ready as Leinart, and he doesn't have the bundle of raw potential and athleticism of Young. In a way, Cutler is a balance of the two

Archived