Revisiting the 2018 Jets draft class

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Jets spent a lot more time Rosen than with Josh Allen, even traveling to the west coast to see him perform.

Rosen or Allen would of course have been the pick had Darnold not been there, and the more likely bet would have been Rosen. Mayfield was who they EXPECTED to be there and would have been the pick had it gone Darnold-Barkley with the first 2 picks.

I was trying to sell myself on Mayfield for weeks leading up to the draft.... I'm glad it did not pan out that way. My biggest worry was both would be gone and we'd be stuck with King D*uche Rosen. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Typical Jet fan. Always look at the downside.  If we had gotten rid of Maccagnan then there was a good chance we'd have McCarthy as coach and I think it is unlikely that we'd have Douglas.  I am not a fan of Gase, but I believe that he is who brought Douglas on and Douglas is probably the thing that gives me the most hope for the franchise right now. 

First thing, I like Joe Douglas so far, but let's not put him in the Jets ring of honor just yet. I was merely commenting on the significance of the 2018 draft class and beating the Bills in week 14. The right thing to do at the end of the 2018 season was to fire both Mac and Bowles. As for that game in Buffalo....I was extremely happy to see Sam Darnold play so well in that game and show us flashes of how great he can be - that scramble was shades of Fran Tarkenton. I just wish McGuire didn't score so we would have got Nick Bosa, who's obviously a difference maker. As for who would have been hired as the next head coach and GM...Maybe it would have been Mike McCarthy and one of his guys, or maybe it could have been Matt Rhule and someone else. I still think we'd be in a better position than we are today if we fired both Bowles and Maccagnan and had the number one overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft. If that makes me a "typical"  Jets fan, then I'm glad to be one. 

On 8/4/2020 at 10:29 AM, Claymation said:

But Mac did pick Darnold, plus his lack of success can be tied to the  talent that the Jets have acquired over the past 7 plus season and a propensity to focus on defense. Mac is an awful GM, but this draft class isn't bad.

Macc traded up from 6 to 3 to get Sam. Nice move. The rest of the draft wreaks of Bowles. 

4 hours ago, TNJet said:

Macc traded up from 6 to 3 to get Sam. Nice move. The rest of the draft wreaks of Bowles. 

* Heimerdinger traded up from 6 to 3, and neither he nor Macc thought Sam would be there.

+ After Macc first threw a whole bunch of money at Kirk Cousins

On 8/4/2020 at 11:12 AM, JiF said:

What if Watson and Jackson never win a title but Darnold wins multiple? 

Lets play this hypothetical game, first of all, Mac, didn't make the trade for Sam, and he would have been stuck with Rosen or Mayfield if the Browns didn't f up. I hope Sam wins several titles because I am a Jets fan. So all of these hypos are nothing but bullsh*t. MacCagnon was a piece of sh*t who was the worst GM we have had. To try to justify his career here only shows your true colors.