4-3 looks: What would be the ideal front 7 with the current personnel?

With Mosley opting out, it's probably a safe bet that we'll see a lot more 4-3 looks out of the defense this season.  Who would be the best candidates for increased playing time, in that instance?

Obviously, the hope would be to get Zuniga and perhaps Bryce Huff on the field in at least one of the DE spots, while both Quinnen Williams and Nathan Shepherd would benefit from being 4-3 DT's as opposed to 3-4 DE's.  

How would the rest of the front 7 look?  Who is best equipped for 4-3 MLB duties?

wouldn't that be fitting.... after a decade of rostering a plethora of 4-3 DTs, yet refusing to shift schemes, that now, the light bulb goes on. 

I think Mo Wilk was the only one who played the 5 technique End as well as he played Tackle. The rest were wasted; Coples, Williams, Richardson... 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

On 8/6/2020 at 1:45 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

With Mosley opting out, it's probably a safe bet that we'll see a lot more 4-3 looks out of the defense this season.  Who would be the best candidates for increased playing time, in that instance?

Obviously, the hope would be to get Zuniga and perhaps Bryce Huff on the field in at least one of the DE spots, while both Quinnen Williams and Nathan Shepherd would benefit from being 4-3 DT's as opposed to 3-4 DE's.  

How would the rest of the front 7 look?  Who is best equipped for 4-3 MLB duties?

The hope is Q. Williams grows up. He's like a 6 year old in the body of the Marvels Hulk. That could be huge for us

I dont see anyone on this team, aside from a couple DL who could fit in a 4-3.   We dont have a WIL who can cover, a true 4-3 DE with any sort of athleticism and Williamson is a poor fit as a MLB, especially coming off injury.

What GW has a to work with are 2 elite run stopping DL units:   QW, Fatuski and Anderson as the starters and Mclendon, Phillips and Shephard as the second group.  Because these guys all stop the run so well, it will allow our base defense to be a nickel with Williamson, Onwuasor and Jenkins as the LBs with Maye, McDougle and Poole as the moveable pieces in the secondary.  

We really need QW to make a big step this season to make up for the loss of Adams and Mosley.  It will also be interesting to see if Fatuski can produce in a bigger role and it was great to see him working with Mclendon on Jets Drive.

• Upvote 1

I started the pre season optimistic about the defense, but now I am less so. 

I thought we could run a 4-3, but it will really be a 3-4 with a variety of players on the Edge. 

Trading Adams may have been the right move in the long run, but he will be very missed this year.  In a perfect world Mosley would have replaced some of the roles/impact that Adams played.  So much for that. 

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

I started the pre season optimistic about the defense, but now I am less so. 

I thought we could run a 4-3, but it will really be a 3-4 with a variety of players on the Edge. 

Trading Adams may have been the right move in the long run, but he will be very missed this year.  In a perfect world Mosley would have replaced some of the roles/impact that Adams played.  So much for that. 

Adams was filling in for Mosley last year, it's Mosley who'll be missed. 

At Edge, Jabari Zuniga has a real opportunity here. Same with Huff. Zuniga probably has the better size to put his hand in the so-called dirt. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

Adams was filling in for Mosley last year, it's Mosley who'll be missed. 

That's because Williamson was out for the season with an ACL.  And Adams' use as a pass rusher is not in any way like Mosely, who does not do such things.  Mosley had 1.5 sacks in his last 3 years with the Ravens.