Impressions Of Camp Via Media Reports

KRL

16 hours ago, johnnysd said:

As a group I have heard a couple times good in pass not getting push in run which is OK

It kinda feels like this is a reflection of our defense though, doesn't it? We look in good in pass pro (because our defense can't rush the passer) but aren't getting much push in the run game (because our D is really stout against the run.) This is where it would be nice to have a pre-season game or two -- just to see us go against anyone who isn't us.

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

I think the misperception here is that, because douglas spent so much money on the OL in FA and then drafted beckton, that the OL would immediately be better in both run and pass blocking.  Truth this OL is still a work in progress, unfortunately.  

I think in the early games, they’re going to have to use a lot of rollouts and screens to open up the run game.  I do think guys like mims and perriman will be around and contribute week 1 but that doesn’t mean the OL will get the push vs the bills and 49ers needed to spring bell.  They’re going to have to get creative on offense and i think we’ll see what gase is made of right away this year.  

This is the drum I've been beating for awhile now. I get that overturning 4/5ths of the OL was going to create some issues, especially with the primary improvement being a rookie at the most important position. It's still disconcerting that there are next to zero reports of the team getting any push at all in the running game. 

You second paragraph remains to be seen. They should've been using a lot of roll-outs, moving pockets, screens, etc., last year, too, to take advantage of Darnold's pocket awareness, and hide some of the OL issues, but they didn't. Did Gase figure that out over the offseason? Have they self-scouted to the point where they'll be running a lot fewer stupid inside runs on 2nd & 10? I hope so, but I'm not sold. 

Camp seems well run, and second and third year players seem to be well-prepared and progressing.

Other than Benton, the rookies will appear to make no impact, which is bad.  

The team generally lacks talent, but I am not seeing the imperative to sign a CB, EDGE or WR to fix the primary holes.  

7 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Given how deep we (seemingly) are at TE and how perilously thin we are at WR I think 12 personnel could easily be the package we trot out most frequently. Darnold has more displayed more consistent chemistry with Herdnon and Griffin than any WR since he got here.

Sams completion % with TE is really good.. 

23 minutes ago, hmhertz said:

If the offensive line doesn't improve and the Brown's does the blame belongs to Gase/ Douglas.

The Browns hired Bill Callahan, while we stayed with the architect of last year's failed line

The architect of last year's failed line was Mike Maccagnan.