Brian Flores confirms Dolphins fielding trade calls for QB Josh Rosen

Jetsfan80

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The thing to me about this whole situation is that we have no idea what the long play for Douglas is at the WR position.  While a 4th on a WR could have been helpful in the short term this year(although AGG specifically is also hurt at the moment) maybe Douglas has every intention of using a premium pick on another WR this year.  Maybe he has every intention of using a premium pick plus targeting a high end Free agent WR.  Adding an additional 5 million or so of cap each year by obtaining a cheap/capable backup(as opposed to signing a good vet backup) can help the roster build in tbe long term by allowing financial flexibility and using premium resources(which a 4th Rd pick is not) on the positions of greatest need.

In a vacuum adding a 4th RD this year makes sense, but that doesn't automatically mean it was the right move for roster build that is happening beyond just this season.

This is fair, but also, it can be said for any GM in any draft. We never know truly what they have in store. It’s like saying Macc didn’t take Mahomes or Watson because he knew the 2018 class was gonna be choc-ful of 5 first round grade QBs. That doesn’t make it right, nor does it make it advisable. If you have a player you like at a position of need in the relative area of their value, you jump on it.

That being said, it’s very probable that he didn’t rate AGG highly, and it’s also very possible that he believes in the type of motivation where you draft someone to light a fire under the incumbent (drafting Morgan to motivate Darnold). All valid reason to do what he did.

Personally, I’m a sucker for the AGG types of players at non-premium picks, and I don’t believe you draft a QB to be a backup when you don’t even know whether you have an FQB. I think you use your draft capital to do whatever it takes to see whether your first round QB in his third year will become an FQB, regardless of who will be available next year. And unfortunately, Morgan was solely drafted to be a backup.

2 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Sure, but what does it matter? He would be here as a backup - which is all Morgan is as well. Are we really hinging our hopes to anyone if Darnold misses significant time? If not, then why waste draft capital?

I don’t love the decision to take a QB there but I’d still rather have a 4th round pick with potential to develop in our system and be able to step in if ever needed then just sign an expensive bust. The dude sucks.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Biggs said:

2018 in AZ was an amazing cluster f*ck.  It was brutal to watch.  Sam Bradford started the first 3 games and threw for 400 yards, 2 TDs. 4 INT's and had a QBR of 62.5.  I'm not a fan of Bradford but he doesn't suck that much.  It was a very bad situation to be thrown into.  

Rosen had no offensive line in Arizona and got stuck with Fitzcancer in Miami

Tua will bust too thanks to being in the same locker room as the Fitz

4 hours ago, slats said:

Morgan is under contract for 4 years/$4M, with $700K guaranteed. Rosen has $5M guaranteed left over two years if someone makes a waiver claim. If no one does, I'll start to wonder if his career is over. 

I'd rather roll the dice with Morgan than be the third team to try to get something (anything!) out of Rosen. 

Plus by signing him on Sep 5, there would have been no way Rosen could be the QB2 right away anyways.  Fales, White or Morgan would still end up being the QB2 for Week 1, with Flacco unavailable.

If anything, this should be a Rosen vs Flacco situation, not a Rosen vs Morgan debate.

4 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Yikes. Didn’t take you to be one of those guys with the “DiDnT kNoW” about something you disagreed with.

My post had nothing to do with prognosticating anyone’s future. It’s about the point that you can always find a young backup QB for a cheap deal in FA, and that draft capital shouldn’t have been used on it when we are sorely lacking elsewhere and there was a player available with a high ceiling for the taking at a position of need. 

Backup QBs are never cheap, especially not when compared to a QB on a midround rookie deal.  And in this instance we'd be paying Rosen to be the QB3 to start the season, not the QB2.  He's not getting up to speed with the offense right away.  

QB2 was a "sorely needed" position last year that a ton of people were complaining about.  Choosing to address that via the draft is really a non-issue that people are making more out of than they should.

4 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Sure, but what does it matter? He would be here as a backup - which is all Morgan is as well. Are we really hinging our hopes to anyone if Darnold misses significant time? If not, then why waste draft capital?

The upside for Morgan would be he ends up something like the next Kirk Cousins.  He has a big arm and the Patriots seemed to like him.  And the beat writers seemed to indicate he had a pretty good camp, too.

That's why its not a "waste of draft capital"; QB's worth anything have very high ceilings, even midround guys.  You're thinking short-term.  Douglas was playing the long game. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

and I don’t believe you draft a QB to be a backup when you don’t even know whether you have an FQB. I think you use your draft capital to do whatever it takes to see whether your first round QB in his third year will become an FQB, regardless of who will be available next year. And unfortunately, Morgan was solely drafted to be a backup.

How do you know Douglas wasn't hedging his bets on Darnold?  Why are you assuming Douglas felt Morgan would be a QB2 his whole career and nothing more?

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Morgan is Mike White who is Tom Savage.  The Backup QB position can be addressed almost every year with cheap vets.  (see Flacco).

They must like Morgan a lot because you should not be using even mud picks on a guy to decide is a backup ball cap wearer from day one.

Flacco is an anomaly.  He was only available so cheap because he's not going to be available Week 1, and possible longer.

Most backups are not really cheap at all.  

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The upside for Morgan would be he ends up something like the next Kirk Cousins.  He has a big arm and the Patriots seemed to like him.  And the beat writers seemed to indicate he had a pretty good camp, too.

That's why its not a "waste of draft capital"; QB's worth anything have very high ceilings, even midround guys.  You're thinking short-term.  Douglas was playing the long game. 

19 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

How do you know Douglas wasn't hedging his bets on Darnold?  Why are you assuming Douglas felt Morgan would be a QB2 his whole career and nothing more?

I’ll answer both In one:

The reason he was drafted to be a backup is because he was a 4th round pick. Whether he makes something of himself and becomes a 10 year FQB is a different story, but that’s not what he was drafted to be. If Darnold flames out and Morgan pulls a Brady or a Warner, I’ll be thrilled, but Douglass will never come out and say that he expected that. And that’s the crux of my issue: using a 4th round pick on someone drafted to be a backup when someone like AGG was available and could potentially help Darnold this season.

At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter and unless AGG or Morgan become game changers, it won’t change anything. I just don’t like the philosophy with the pick, and as I mentioned in my very first post - it’s an annoyance more than anything. The rest of Douglass’ draft was awesome IMO, but doesn’t mean he can’t be criticized. 

1 minute ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I’ll answer both In one:

The reason he was drafted to be a backup is because he was a 4th round pick. Whether he makes something of himself and becomes a 10 year FQB is a different story, but that’s not what he was drafted to be. If Darnold flames out and Morgan pulls a Brady or a Warner, I’ll be thrilled, but Douglass will never come out and say that he expected that. And that’s the crux of my issue: using a 4th round pick on someone drafted to be a backup when someone like AGG was available and could potentially help Darnold this season.

At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter and unless AGG or Morgan become game changers, it won’t change anything. I just don’t like the philosophy with the pick, and as I mentioned in my very first post - it’s an annoyance more than anything. The rest of Douglass’ draft was awesome IMO, but doesn’t mean he can’t be criticized. 

It's possible to draft someone for one thing while hoping he becomes something more.  Just being a 4th rounder on its own does not mean anything.  Dak Prescott was a 4th rounder.  

2 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I agree with most of what you're saying, just not as emphatically, lol. Yeah, I also would've liked another WR in the draft, and didn't need to see QB addressed at all, but that doesn't mean that a fourth round QB doesn't have value, or that he was selected with being a backup in mind. Taking a mid-round QB is buying a lottery ticket. If he doesn't hit, then you deal with the criticism of the pick. If you find a Kirk or Dak, you win! Douglas was definitely hedging his bet on Darnold by selecting Morgan, too. It gives him a young, well regarded QB under control cheaply for the next four years. If he performs well, the Jets will have the option down the road to replace Darnold or trade him for something far more valuable than a fourth round pick. So while I would've probably gone the route you suggested this year, I can't kill him for taking a QB both the Bills and Pats were rumored to have interest in. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I would gladly go with Darnold, Rosen, White and Morgan. Rosen is a really smart dude and would challenge Sam.

Sayonara to Flacco and Fales. Talk about Deadwood, I'd at least like some guys that have an opportunity to grow. I would take this guy in an instant for a conditional 7th to a 5th.

If Rosen would challenge Sam what does that say about Sam? Sam needs to put it all together. A couple more I see ghosts games and he could be in trouble.