Brian Flores confirms Dolphins fielding trade calls for QB Josh Rosen

Jetsfan80

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I wonder how long these NFL media puff pieces will keep getting puked out about how Flores and the Dolphins are such a smart, savvy team now that their QB of the future is Ryan Fitzpatrick for the past two years. 

You got to have much respect for the Voodoo Doll Fitzpatrick sold his soul to acquire.

Thing is undefeated.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jetster said:

Oh, I hope the AFC (Bills, Fins, Pats) suck as bad as (Jets, Bills, Fins) have sucked for the last 20 years. Maybe we can get to a freaking Super Bowl.

Jets, Bills, Fins, are responsible for the Pats winning 17 division championships, numerous home field playoff advantages allowing them to get to the Super Bowl with 2 home wins. 

Quick, name the number of Patriots teams that got to the Super Bowl as the wild card team? 

I think the 1985 Pats team did but that's it.

Hard to believe that Rosen has failed so quickly.  He got part of a season in AZ before they gave up on him.  The Dolphins acquired him but I don't think they ever believed in him.  Now it sounds like he's on his way to his 3rd team in 3 years.  He was a guy talking about winning 6 Superbowls prior to the draft.

7 hours ago, nycdan said:

I can't quite connect the QB I saw in the UCLA - A&M game with the one we've seen in the NFL.  Was ARI so much worse of a situation in 2018 than it was last year for Murray?  I liked the moxie Rosen showed in that one particular game, which is the only one of his I saw in its entirety.  I'd like to see him figure things out and become a viable starter.  

Rosen is a statue, Murray can get away.

11 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:
And this is why wasting a 4th round pick on Morgan when we could have taken a chance on another WR like AGG will always annoy me. Rosen would provide the exact same thing as Morgan at probably a better value without having to use draft capital.

I didn’t know we had so many people on the board capable of prognosticating QB futures so well. If only Douglas listened to people here he’d already know Morgan would be a bust.

Some of the same people posting here had Rosen as their top QB in the ‘18 class. Like @CTM for instance.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

And this is why wasting a 4th round pick on Morgan when we could have taken a chance on another WR like AGG will always annoy me. Rosen would provide the exact same thing as Morgan at probably a better value without having to use draft capital.

Because in April we should have realized the fins would cut Rosen and we could have had him

And of course thinking he would come here to sign on to be Darnolds backup?  Why would he?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Rosen is a proven failure at this point.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Imagine the reaction here if our GM traded a 2 and 5 for a QB them cut him the next season.

And people say the Dolphins are righting the ship??? Garbage

Good coaching staff's know when to cut bait...Pat's just released a player they traded a second rounder for as well.

Problem teams are the one's who hang on too long.

7 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Morgan is under contract for 4 years/$4M, with $700K guaranteed. Rosen has $5M guaranteed left over two years if someone makes a waiver claim. If no one does, I'll start to wonder if his career is over. 

I'd rather roll the dice with Morgan than be the third team to try to get something (anything!) out of Rosen. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I didn’t know we had so many people on the board capable of prognosticating QB futures so well. If only Douglas listened to people here he’d already know Morgan would be a bust.

Some of the same people posting here had Rosen as their top QB in the ‘18 class. Like [mention=6967]CTM[/mention] for instance.

Yikes. Didn’t take you to be one of those guys with the “DiDnT kNoW” about something you disagreed with.

My post had nothing to do with prognosticating anyone’s future. It’s about the point that you can always find a young backup QB for a cheap deal in FA, and that draft capital shouldn’t have been used on it when we are sorely lacking elsewhere and there was a player available with a high ceiling for the taking at a position of need. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Because in April we should have realized the fins would cut Rosen and we could have had him

And of course thinking he would come here to sign on to be Darnolds backup?  Why would he?

No, I’m not speaking of Rosen specifically - he just happened to fit the argument. The point was, there was always going to be a young backup caliber QB in FA. It happens every year.

9 minutes ago, slats said:

Morgan is under contract for 4 years/$4M, with $700K guaranteed. Rosen has $5M guaranteed left over two years if someone makes a waiver claim.

For all the people butt hurt about me having the audacity to say something negative about Douglas’ 4th round pick (because let’s face it, that’s all this boils down to), this is the only valid argument I’ve seen against my post. 

I agree that financially, a drafted QB will always be the better potential value over a QB acquired in FA unless it’s Peyton going to Denver while still in his prime.

Still, personally, I’d have preferred AGG+Mims, and whatever young FA QB to be our QB3, even if it meant paying the $5mm to Rosen for two years. We have the cap space.

• Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

For all the people butt hurt about me having the audacity to say something negative about Douglas’ 4th round pick (because let’s face it, that’s all this boils down to), this is the only valid argument I’ve seen against my post. 

I agree that financially, a drafted QB will always be the better potential value over a QB acquired in FA unless it’s Peyton going to Denver while still in his prime.

Still, personally, I’d have preferred AGG+Mims, and whatever young FA QB to be our QB3, even if it meant paying the $5mm to Rosen for two years. We have the cap space.

The thing to me about this whole situation is that we have no idea what the long play for Douglas is at the WR position.  While a 4th on a WR could have been helpful in the short term this year(although AGG specifically is also hurt at the moment) maybe Douglas has every intention of using a premium pick on another WR this year.  Maybe he has every intention of using a premium pick plus targeting a high end Free agent WR.  Adding an additional 5 million or so of cap each year by obtaining a cheap/capable backup(as opposed to signing a good vet backup) can help the roster build in tbe long term by allowing financial flexibility and using premium resources(which a 4th Rd pick is not) on the positions of greatest need.

In a vacuum adding a 4th RD this year makes sense, but that doesn't automatically mean it was the right move for roster build that is happening beyond just this season.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Rosen is a proven failure at this point.

Proven Failure - sure.

The kid has played 20 career games all of which have been on terrible teams with terrible offensive lines.

I understand why the Cardinals moved on and that the position is leaning more towards QBs who can move.  I also get that Rosen's attitude could still be an issue. But I think a smart team would bring him in as a backup, let him learn the offense and see exactly whether or not he can get back to the elite prospect he once was.

I find it hard to believe someone with his talent has less of a chance at success then Gardner Mishew in Jacksonville and a team like the colts with a strong OL both seem like good fits for him to get another legitimate shot.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The thing to me about this whole situation is that we have no idea what the long play for Douglas is at the WR position.  While a 4th on a WR could have been helpful in the short term this year(although AGG specifically is also hurt at the moment) maybe Douglas has every intention of using a premium pick on another WR this year.  Maybe he has every intention of using a premium pick plus targeting a high end Free agent WR.  Adding an additional 5 million or so of cap each year by obtaining a cheap/capable backup(as opposed to signing a good vet backup) can help the roster build in tbe long term by allowing financial flexibility and using premium resources(which a 4th Rd pick is not) on the positions of greatest need.

In a vacuum adding a 4th RD this year makes sense, but that doesn't automatically mean it was the right move for roster build that is happening beyond just this season.

Not that the Jets have cap issues and should have enough room to sign the necessary players, but there is cap uncertainty for the next year or two.  Plus, JD has 4 first round picks in the next two years, that requires a lot more cap space to sign your rookies to.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

No, I’m not speaking of Rosen specifically - he just happened to fit the argument. The point was, there was always going to be a young backup caliber QB in FA. It happens every year.

Because players who arent good enough to play backup on a team like the Dolphins are what we want here?  There are always capable backup QB options in FA?  Who?  If the Dolphins dont pull a surprise and cut Rosen, who would be there?  And why would Rosen want to back Darnold, where he would more than likely never see the field, baring injury?  

We all want talent added to the roster.  We needed help at multiple positions and thats clearly how JD drafted.  

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Some of the same people posting here had Rosen as their top QB in the ‘18 class. Like [mention=6967]CTM[/mention] for instance.

I shifted to Mayfield, but yep Rosen originally. Now they all look like crap :D

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Because players who arent good enough to play backup on a team like the Dolphins are what we want here?  There are always capable backup QB options in FA?  Who?  If the Dolphins dont pull a surprise and cut Rosen, who would be there?  And why would Rosen want to back Darnold, where he would more than likely never see the field, baring injury?  

We all want talent added to the roster.  We needed help at multiple positions and thats clearly how JD drafted.  

This is an important point. Fitzpatrick turns 38 this year and has an $8M salary. If Rosen was any good, he'd be a value as a backup for two years/$5M. Maybe he could see the field between this year and next and be worth something on the trade market going forward. Miami decided, instead, that they'd rather pay him that exact same $5M to not be on the roster. 

I think it's about time Rosen fans just come to terms with the fact that he sucks. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, slats said:

This is an important point. Fitzpatrick turns 38 this year and has an $8M salary. If Rosen was any good, he'd be a value as a backup for two years/$5M. Maybe he could see the field between this year and next and be worth something on the trade market going forward. Miami decided, instead, that they'd rather pay him that exact same $5M to not be on the roster. 

I think it's about time Rosen fans just come to terms with the fact that he sucks. 

It really seems that way.  Hes been on two teams, going onto his third in the three years since he was drafted.  

I cant think of a single QB that was drafted in the top 10 who was dumped by two teams after all of one season with each of those teams.  

He either sucks, is a horrible person to deal with or both