Brian Flores confirms Dolphins fielding trade calls for QB Josh Rosen

Jetsfan80

https://www.nfl.com/news/brian-flores-confirms-dolphins-fielding-trade-calls-for-qb-josh-rosen

Brian Flores confirms Dolphins fielding trade calls for QB Josh Rosen

Published: Sep 04, 2020 at 10:03 AM

Headshot_Author_Kevin-Patra_2020

Kevin Patra

Around the NFL Writer

Josh Rosen might be on the move once again.

Miami Dolphins coach Brian Flores confirmed that general manager Chris Grier has been fielding calls about potential trades for Rosen, as well as other players, per Joe Schad of the Palm Beach Post.

Rosen is the odd man out in Miami with Ryan Fitzpatrick expected to start the season and first-round pick Tua Tagovailoa the future in South Beach.

With all the starting quarterback gigs currently accounted for around the league, a team would be looking to add a signal-caller like Rosen as a backup insurance with potential upside. Any team that views the former UCLA product as a long-term answer would be relying on its pre-draft evaluation of Rosen. His play in the NFL has been sub-par through two years.

After being selected with the No. 10 overall pick by the Arizona Cardinals in 2018, Rosen started 13 games, struggling behind a faltering offensive line. When the Cards reversed gears, making Kyler Murray the No. 1 pick last year, Arizona traded Rosen to Miami during the 2019 draft for a second-round pick and a 2020 fifth-round selection.

In Miami, Rosen fared little better behind a similarly disastrous offensive line. After initially getting beaten out by Fitzpatrick, Rosen made three starts from Weeks 3-6 last year. He did not play well, throwing for 465 total passing yards with three INTs and one TD, and was sacked 12 times before being benched. He didn't throw a pass again, as FitzMagic played the rest of the season.

Coming out of UCLA, Rosen was a polarizing prospect. He owns a good arm and flashes of talent. Those splashes, however, were too few and far between in his 16 pro starts. The signal-caller displayed disastrous pocket presence last year, struggled under pressure and made too many poor reads.

To be fair to Rosen, neither situation in Arizona nor Miami was conducive to positive growth.

Perhaps another new start can give the backup quarterback a shot at proving he belongs. The price-tag for a team to take a look shouldn't be prohibitive, neither is his rookie contract.

With cut-down day looming on Saturday, we'll see if the Dolphins get an offer worth taking for their third QB.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I so thought you were going to say Darnold as I started to read this. 

Unlike Darnold, he got a chance to sit and watch behind two incredibly bad OL.  It might be an advantage?  I think writing him off based on the two teams he played for is a mistake.  I hope we don't wreck Darnold.  

• Upvote 1

I can't quite connect the QB I saw in the UCLA - A&M game with the one we've seen in the NFL.  Was ARI so much worse of a situation in 2018 than it was last year for Murray?  I liked the moxie Rosen showed in that one particular game, which is the only one of his I saw in its entirety.  I'd like to see him figure things out and become a viable starter.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, section314 said:

If you believe this, why the hell would you want this? Just curious.

I like good football.  I prefer we are good and in a good division.  I'm not looking to see the Jets win because the rest of the division sucks.  I'm a football fan and a Jets fan.  They aren't mutually exclusive.  I hate to see a player with his talent wasted.  I feel the same about Darnold. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

I can't quite connect the QB I saw in the UCLA - A&M game with the one we've seen in the NFL.  Was ARI so much worse of a situation in 2018 than it was last year for Murray?  I liked the moxie Rosen showed in that one particular game, which is the only one of his I saw in its entirety.  I'd like to see him figure things out and become a viable starter.  

2018 in AZ was an amazing cluster f*ck.  It was brutal to watch.  Sam Bradford started the first 3 games and threw for 400 yards, 2 TDs. 4 INT's and had a QBR of 62.5.  I'm not a fan of Bradford but he doesn't suck that much.  It was a very bad situation to be thrown into.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

I like good football.  I prefer we are good and in a good division.  I'm not looking to see the Jets win because the rest of the division sucks.  I'm a football fan and a Jets fan.  They aren't mutually exclusive.  I hate to see a player with his talent wasted.  I feel the same about Darnold. 

Oh, I hope the AFC (Bills, Fins, Pats) suck as bad as (Jets, Bills, Fins) have sucked for the last 20 years. Maybe we can get to a freaking Super Bowl.

Jets, Bills, Fins, are responsible for the Pats winning 17 division championships, numerous home field playoff advantages allowing them to get to the Super Bowl with 2 home wins. 

Quick, name the number of Patriots teams that got to the Super Bowl as the wild card team? 

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Biggs said:

F**k that.  I want the division to suck and for the Jets to go 6-0 with ease every single season.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

4 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Oh, I hope the AFC (Bills, Fins, Pats) suck as bad as (Jets, Bills, Fins) have sucked for the last 20 years. Maybe we can get to a freaking Super Bowl.

Jets, Bills, Fins, are responsible for the Pats winning 17 division championships, numerous home field playoff advantages allowing them to get to the Super Bowl with 2 home wins. 

Quick, name the number of Patriots teams that got to the Super Bowl as the wild card team? 

1985 team.

43 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

F**k that.  I want the division to suck and for the Jets to go 6-0 with ease every single season.  

No you don't.  You just think you do.  The one thing about being a fan of a really crappy team is when I watch the playoffs without a rooting interest watching two good teams battle I'm always amazed how much I enjoy really good competitive games. It's a great game when it's played at a high level by two really good teams.  A competition is fun to watch when it's competitive at a high level. 

10 minutes ago, Biggs said:

No you don't.  You just think you do.  The one thing about being a fan of a really crappy team is when I watch the playoffs without a rooting interest watching two good teams battle I'm always amazed how much I enjoy really good competitive games. It's a great game when it's played at a high level by two really good teams.  A competition is fun to watch when it's competitive at a high level. 

Competitive games are certainly fun when other teams are involved.  Blowouts are more fun when its your team dominating.  I was in attendance for the Jets-Colts 41-0 playoff win in 2002, and never had more fun watching a pro sporting event.  

• Upvote 4

25 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Competitive games are certainly fun when other teams are involved.  Blowouts are more fun when its your team dominating.  I was in attendance for the Jets-Colts 41-0 playoff win in 2002, and never had more fun watching a pro sporting event.  

Agree with this 100%.

"Good games" involving the Jets are stressful. Nothing is more fun that watching the Jets kick the sh*t out of someone. 41-0 over the Colts was the most fun I've had at a Jets game as well.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

No you don't.  You just think you do.  The one thing about being a fan of a really crappy team is when I watch the playoffs without a rooting interest watching two good teams battle I'm always amazed how much I enjoy really good competitive games. It's a great game when it's played at a high level by two really good teams.  

only if both teams have to play by the same rules

--

we all know in NE they don't

I never liked Rosen, and this development does not surprise me at all. Lack of mobility and a soft noggin is never a good combo for a QB. I don’t care where he goes, he’ll probably suck there, too. 

He has over $5M guaranteed coming to him, still. If Miami wants to get out from that contract, they’ll probably have to give someone a pick to take him off their hands. 

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

Love to see him on the Pats.  Still think he's better than Mayfield or Allen.  

I hate when people say, "I see what you did there", but I did see what you did there, you Sneaky Pete. However, I'll feel so much better about it if I say it differently: "I see", said the blind man to the deaf man who picked up a hammer and saw. 

9 minutes ago, slats said:

I never liked Rosen, and this development does not surprise me at all. Lack of mobility and a soft noggin is never a good combo for a QB. I don’t care where he goes, he’ll probably suck there, too. 

He has over $5M guaranteed coming to him, still. If Miami wants to get out from that contract, they’ll probably have to give someone a pick to take him off their hands. 

How high a pick.....now you've got me wondering.....

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I wonder how long these NFL media puff pieces keep getting puked out about how Flores and the Dolphins are such a smart, savvy team now that their QB of the future is Ryan Fitzpatrick for the past two years. 

Brutal. Speaking of puking, sometimes people need to be reminded that the Dolphins are the true pukes of the AFCE. It took the Cheats a while to become neck and neck, and now because of the Cheats' Legacy of Cheating, that's the only reason that they finally and narrowly edged them out.

The Cheats, I'll tell you what, though. Even though Tom Brady has left the building, Bernard Pollard For President in 2020. I know, no politics, but it had to be said. 

pollard.jpg

^By the way, that was never my avatar from September 8th, 2008 until the end of the 2008 season, nope not me. That was some feller by the name of Arbogast. ? Anyway, to be clear, it's not remotely the same thing as wishing an injury on someone. I don't do that, even with a cheating sh*tbag like Brady . . . Bernard Pollard for President in 2020! I must be Britney Spears, because Oops I Did It Again.

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

Love to see him on the Pats.  Still think he's better than Mayfield or Allen.  

Yeah lets keep the Patriots competitive against us. Hell, 20 years isn't quite enough. 

That said I'd sign him over Mike White or that loser David Fales. Darnold,Flacco, Rosen might even sound better than Darnold, Flacco, Morgan.

• Upvote 1

I believe a large contributing factor to a QB making it or not making it in the NFL is the circumstance that he falls into. A really talented and driven player may be able to overcome circumstantial misfortune, while a mediocre or less talented QB may not. Conversely, a less talented QB may be put into a great situation and become a franchise QB.

In this regard, I think the NFL football gods have not been kind to Josh Rosen.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

One of the most fun games I watched was the Pittsburgh playoff game we eventually lost.  It was stressful, edge of your seat crazy.  That was 2005.  Granted I wanted to call Dr. Kovorkian after we lost.    I also loved the win over the Pats in 2010.  Coincidentally I have a partner in Boston and went to the Jets/Pats regular season game in 2010.  We lost 45 to 3.  It wasn't fun.  

I love sports for the competitive drama.  I love practically puking at ever turn and thinking I can't watch this anymore.  King Kong one minute, zippy the chimp the next minute.  It's like a roller coster.  Blowouts are the easy way out.  A win that you practically have to call your cardiologist during the game, that's entertainment.  I love the drama of the best going at it and not knowing the outcome until the final whistle.  

Granted if we actually have a great team and blow teams out because we're unbelievably good, I'm all in.  

• Upvote 1