This Brewing '20 WR Fiasco - Darnold Who?

JetsLife

15 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Yes, just like 99.9% of quarterbacks in the history of the NFL.

In a year or two he should be expected to elevate the players around him.

This is year 3. 

He doesn't  have great weapons but IF the Oline is decent (which is a big question mark) then he has enough weapons with Crowder, Herndon, Bell, Perriman to succeed. It's not an ideal set of weapons, but's not Stephen Hill bad. 

But this is all assuming the offensive line gives him a reasonable amount of time. No QB can succeed behind a bottom 5 Oline  and this supporting cast. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Savage69 said:

Rich Gannon didn't do squat for around 13 years until he got HOF'ers Tim Brown and Jerry Rice at W/R then he made 5 Pro bowls and All Pro twice..

Rich Gannon wasn't a Franchise QB.  

Are you saying Sam is as good as Rich Gannon, and that in 11 years when he gets WR's he'll finally deliver?

9 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

How does Sam elevate Denzel Mims’ two hamstrings? How does he elevate Vyncint Smith off the IR? How come he couldn’t elevate Herndon or Demaryius Thomas or Ryan Khalil last year?

I’m not really joking. You can only work with what’s around you. Ask Tom Brady about his offense last year. Getting that team to a playoff loss was almost a miracle, similar to getting the 2019 Jets to finish 6-2.

With that attitude, why bother even watching the game today, if we take your worldview, we're already doomed, and no one is to blame, and oh well too bad. 

What a horrible mindset to have, where no one is ever held to expectations or account for their play because oh well, we all suck so how could we not suck, right?

Frankly, I just think your post is a great reflection of the massive homer of this forum.  It's too painful to think Sam has materially underperformed his expectations to-date, so better to throw everyone and everything under the bus instead so you can cling to the oldest trope in Jets Fandom, the "just needs time, and weapons" trope.  The same trope used for literally every QB the Jets have fielded since the mid-80's.  The same EXACT trope endlessly used for late-era Sanchez, and all of Geno Smith, in literally all the same ways.

I wish just once my fellow Jets fans actually had some pride, and stood up and said "I don't want to hear the endless excuses, just win, just produce, and stop whining like a bunch of little bitches".  But I don't think that day is ever gonna come, poor poor Sam, boo hoo, never had a chance......

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Rich Gannon wasn't a Franchise QB.  

Are you saying Sam is as good as Rich Gannon, and that in 11 years when he gets WR's he'll finally deliver?

With that attitude, why bother even watching the game today, if we take your worldview, we're already doomed, and no one is to blame, and oh well too bad. 

What a horrible mindset to have, where no one is ever held to expectations or account for their play because oh well, we all suck so how could we not suck, right?

Frankly, I just think your post is a great reflection of the massive homer of this forum.  It's too painful to think Sam has materially underperformed his expectations to-date, so better to throw everyone and everything under the bus instead so you can cling to the oldest trope in Jets Fandom, the "just needs time, and weapons" trope.  The same trope used for literally every QB the Jets have fielded since the mid-80's.  The same EXACT trope endlessly used for late-era Sanchez, and all of Geno Smith, in literally all the same ways.

I wish just once my fellow Jets fans actually had some pride, and stood up and said "I don't want to hear the endless excuses, just win, just produce, and stop whining like a bunch of little bitches".  But I don't think that day is ever gonna come, poor poor Sam, boo hoo, never had a chance......

So again you can’t answer to your whole “Sam needs to elevate” comment.  Instead of providing some evidence to support to your claim you call the people who question you homers and bitches.  Talk about being a bitch.   

5 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

So again you can’t answer to your whole “Sam needs to elevate” comment.  Instead of providing some evidence to support to your claim you call the people who question you homers and bitches.  Talk about being a bitch.   

I'm sick of whiners and whining and losers who are ok with losing.

I want a winner and (at QB) a producer.  I'm really REALLY tired of so-called Jets Fans endlessly whining about why that's just expecting too much, year after year after year.  No pride, no accountability, just acceptance of being horrible.

Now sod off and cry about how bad we are and how that's ok to someone else.  I want no part of people who have already given up before the first snap is played, and already excused underperformance because boo f'ing hoo.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I'm sick of whiners and whining and losers who are ok with losing.

I want a winner and (at QB) a producer.  I'm really REALLY tired of so-called Jets Fans endlessly whining about why that's just expecting too much.

Now sod off and cry about how bad we are and how that's ok to someone else.

So no explanation of the whole elevation comment?  So you’re just whining about others whining and don’t actually have a point.  Got it.   You think you are some super fan because you “want” to win games?  It’s not my fault you can’t articulate your point or that you don’t know what you are looking at.  

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Frankly, I just think your post is a great reflection of the massive homer of this forum.

Sam has materially underperformed his expectations to-date, 

I wish just once my fellow Jets fans actually had some pride, and stood up and said "I don't want to hear the endless excuses, just win, just produce, and stop whining like a bunch of little bitches".  

yo brother ... a little early to have started pounding the moonshine!

---

your first sentence is a big exaggeration 

- I think this board actually has much less homer-ism than most fan sites.  I think those posters are somewhere around 25% homers.

I think the "were not going to be good no matter what" posters probably around 15%,

I think the pretty strong majority have a very reasonable belief of "these things are strong" "these things are weak" "these things i'm hopeful about" "these things I'm fearful about" "i want to actually see them on the field before I make up my mind" ... jmo

---

your 2nd sentence is a setting a very high bar on what you were expecting from him.

- personally I wanted him to sit on the bench for the 1st half of season 1 ... so just being on the field all year (if you feel like nitpicking, for 13 games) and taking his lumps exceeded my expectations.  he had a modest improvement in year 2, I'll call that a small degree of not meeting my expectations (did I hope for more ... sure ... but it is still a step up in the right direction).

- my expectation for this year are 4,000 yards, 20TD, 10INT... jmo

---

your 3rd sentence is just being an *$$hole ... again, jmo

12 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

How does Sam elevate Denzel Mims’ two hamstrings? How does he elevate Vyncint Smith off the IR? How come he couldn’t elevate Herndon or Demaryius Thomas or Ryan Khalil last year?

I’m not really joking. You can only work with what’s around you. Ask Tom Brady about his offense last year. Getting that team to a playoff loss was almost a miracle, similar to getting the 2019 Jets to finish 6-2.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

I think you missed my point.  1. We're not doomed.  2. Gregg Williams and Sam Darnold are the reasons to watch the game today.  3. The roster has been to blame, particularly on offense (not no one), and we were fortunate the Jets were able to go 6-2 down the stretch with the roster we had, particularly when our passing game production down the stretch relied on receiving contributions from these guys...

496154354_ScreenShot2020-09-13at9_04_16AM.png.14d9eb110e73358a5c5ee51b281f5d50.png

673537668_ScreenShot2020-09-13at9_04_45AM.png.00ff23b5aff9ea098d0a3252d8de66c6.png

1531990900_ScreenShot2020-09-13at9_05_17AM.png.fcd23ef7f727222b23b4a3f7c5a608f5.png

That group is interesting.  D. Thomas seems to no longer be worthy of a NFL roster, Robby Anderson was considered a WR2 by the Jets and they very clearly had a price limit they were willing to pay (middle of the road WR2), Bell is a guy that Gase seems to use only because he has to, etc.  But Crowder is a consistent contributor, not a Pro Bowler and not a WR1.  Griffin is a good TE2 but not a TE1.  Wesco, Jeff Smith, Ty Montgomery, Daniel Brown - those guys were on the field and getting targets on this team last year.  Who do they scare....besides us Jets fans?

These were the guys the Jets were counting on to win games down the stretch, and they did.

It's not doom and gloom to hope that Darnold can elevate a bunch of random dudes again this year to win some NFL games, but it's kind of getting to the point that he shouldn't have to.  That was the point of my post.

21 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

You can make a case he DID elevate the s**ty supporting cast around him last year.  

Yeah, thats the one case against Sam I dont get.  The Jets are so clearly better with him then without it's not even funny.  People forget, there was a point in the season, like 3/4 weeks deep where the defense had outscored the offense.  lmfao

7-6 on a terrible Football team with one of the worst OL's in history.  Pretty sure that means you're elevating the play of the team around you.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yeah, thats the one case against Sam I dont get.  The Jets are so clearly better with him then without it's not even funny.  People forget, there was a point in the season, like 3/4 weeks deep where the defense had outscored the offense.  lmfao

7-6 on a terrible Football team with one of the worst OL's in history.  Pretty sure that means you're elevating the play of the team around you.

Agreed.  These people who think he can turn off the street vagabond free agent WRs into Pro Bowl receivers is laughable.   

21 hours ago, Losmeister said:

by selecting b/u QBs (that are among the worst b/u in a 32team league)  that can offer NO COMPETITION to Sam (coddling) 

they also damn themselves to being unable to even compete when those b/u are pressed into service.

Trevor Siemian has a 13-12 career record as an NFL starter. How did he look playing with Sam's weapons and offensive line for a half of football? 

You people who think Darnold didn't elevate that team last year . . . I'm just not sure what you watched. 

20 minutes ago, JiF said:

There never is a cogent response to this point - other than that Sam is not Watson or Mahomes. LOL

3 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

So no explanation of the whole elevation comment?  So you’re just whining about others whining and don’t actually have a point.  Got it.   You think you are some super fan because you “want” to win games?  It’s not my fault you can’t articulate your point or that you don’t know what you are looking at.  

It's his new shtick, he wants to troll like 14 and Bit.