Early 2021 top 5 RBs

Paradis

I think in an effort to move towards modern football the Jets need a home run hitter in the backfield.

Need to watch more to see if I actually like him since sometimes he looks too slight in the lower half and sometimes he looks built enough, but aside from Etienne who I’d guess they’d need to spend the Seattle one on I think Gainwell seems like the best option at this stage?

Would be nice if one of Perine/Adams/Ballage proves worthy of the less exciting change of pace role.

1 hour ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

Where do you see Etienne going?  I keep thinking he would be a nice get with Seattle’s late first rounder.

It's pretty early, but I don't know if Etienne will get that 1st round pedigree. he's special but today's NFL is so picky - i can see him being a 2nd round guy. I dunno. We'll see what January-Feb brings. 

Just now, Beerfish said:

I just picked etiene in a mock with our early 2nd rounder. 

The advantage of having the high pick in every round is significant.

I mean it's only september, but it kinda feels like that's where his sweet spot will be. Would be great value. 

Can you imagine a world where the JETS first 3 picks (inside the first 35 picks we'll say) is WR, TE, RB... ? Feels like Star Trek level fantasy. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

Where do you see Etienne going?  I keep thinking he would be a nice get with Seattle’s late first rounder.

12 hours ago, Paradis said:

It's pretty early, but I don't know if Etienne will get that 1st round pedigree. he's special but today's NFL is so picky - i can see him being a 2nd round guy. I dunno. We'll see what January-Feb brings. 

I'd almost prefer taking him in the 1st, even if its a bit of a reach.  Having the 5th-year option is more important for RB than just about any other position.  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'd almost prefer taking him in the 1st, even if its a bit of a reach.  Having the 5th-year option is more important for RB than just about any other position.  

Hard to imagine taking a RB given the state of our roster in round 1.  I agree about the 5th yr option though... it a dramatic sense, if SEA won the SB and we wound up with #1... we'd be looking at picks #32 and #33.. no brainer to take the back with 32 in that case.

Thankfully i'm digging the RB crop this year that will find itself in that 3rd sweet spot... Lovett, Hill, Gainwell, Boyd -- all probably in that convo. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

Hard to imagine taking a RB given the state of our roster in round 1.  I agree about the 5th yr option though... it a dramatic sense, if SEA won the SB and we wound up with #1... we'd be looking at picks #32 and #33.. no brainer to take the back with 32 in that case.

Thankfully i'm digging the RB crop this year that will find itself in that 3rd sweet spot... Lovett, Hill, Gainwell, Boyd -- all probably in that convo. 

Well, in an ideal world, we have pick 33.  Use the second 1st rounder on Etienne and still get a quality player at a more premium position at 33.

With the way things are going I could see a situation where we end up with picks 32 and 33.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

Are you just like, trying to be cool not having Najee Harris on this list? 

no, i've talked my feelings about him before. I don't trust him. Underacheiver until last year. If he runs with same command this year, OK i'll start get on board, but otherwise I'm not a fan. 

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

no, i've talked my feelings about him before. I don't trust him. Underacheiver until last year. If he runs with same command this year, OK i'll start get on board, but otherwise I'm not a fan. 

Underachiever?  lol what?  He was behind Jacobs and Harris.  And he averaged more ypc than both of them. (6.1 on his career) and had more yards on less carries than Jacobs.

He might be the first back off the board.

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

Underachiever?  lol what?  He was behind Jacobs and Harris.  And he averaged more ypc than both of them. (6.1 on his career) and had more yards on less carries than Jacobs.

He might be the first back off the board.

Good. glad he's not even an option for us.

I didn't like his play back then. Sloppy and left yards on the field, regardless of whatever stats you dig up.  That's for me to own. He looked different last year, yes. But oh well. I like other backs. 

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Good. glad he's not even an option for us.

I didn't like his play back then. Sloppy and left yards on the field, regardless of whatever stats you dig up.  That's for me to own. He looked different last year, yes. But oh well. I like other backs. 

We have 2 first rounds picks, a high 2nd.  He's an option and a great one.  You cant teach that type of size/speed/burst/vision/elusiveness/power and can also catch the ball.  I think your analysis is nutty.  Kids a beast and to not have him in the top 5 when he could be the best of the bunch is just trying to be the cool guy in the room with a hot take.

❤️

23 minutes ago, JiF said:

We have 2 first rounds picks, a high 2nd.  He's an option and a great one.  You cant teach that type of size/speed/burst/vision/elusiveness/power and can also catch the ball.  I think your analysis is nutty.  Kids a beast and to not have him in the top 5 when he could be the best of the bunch is just trying to be the cool guy in the room with a hot take.

❤️

Not it isn’t and fck that. I’ve said I didn’t like him since last summer. You throw this little tongue and cheek wink after you look to verbally undress me here and there and it doesn’t go unnoticed. You’re not a fan of mine. That’s fine.

Last time I checked the hit rate for top 2-3 backs has never been 100%. so I’m not a fan of Harris. Who cares. I wasn’t a fan of Fournette. Sometimes it happens. Sometimes it goes the way of Dexter Williams. 

if the jets pick Harris - as of today I’ll be disappointed. You don’t agree - cool story. 

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

Not it isn’t and fck that. I’ve said I didn’t like him since last summer. You throw this little tongue and cheek wink after you look to verbally undress me here and there and it doesn’t go unnoticed. You’re not a fan of mine. That’s fine.

Last time I checked the hit rate for top 2-3 backs has never been 100%. so I’m not a fan of Harris. Who cares. I wasn’t a fan of Fournette. Sometimes it happens. Sometimes it goes the of Dexter Williams. 

if the jets pick Harris - as of today I’ll be disappointed. You don’t agree - cool. 

Whoa.  Why you say that?  I love you, I just like to bust your balls and remind you how good I am at this. ;-) You come hard with your takes, figured you had tough enough skin to handle it.  My bad.  I simply like Harris and think it's nutty to put guys over him that well, wont be drafted over him because they are nowhere near as good as him and had some fun along the way.

22 minutes ago, JiF said:

Whoa.  Why you say that?  I love you, I just like to bust your balls and remind you how good I am at this. ;-) You come hard with your takes, figured you had tough enough skin to handle it.  My bad.  I simply like Harris and think it's nutty to put guys over him that well, wont be drafted over him because they are nowhere near as good as him and had some fun along the way.

Maybe I bruised my vagina today unknowingly. Just feels like often our exchanges are surrounding some take you feel is pretty laughable.

I'm not naïve, Harris is going to be in 98.9% top 5s... and I think it was Rob was i talking to earlier this spring where i said that if he plays as well this year again, like obviously i can't deny the potential...  Had bad vibes pre-2019... want to see him do it again first. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I'm surprised you guys left Journey Brown off the list. Big home run hitter.

we'll see. Didn't think he or Brooks for example looked anything special at first glance, but i'll be totally honest when i say i haven't like really sat down to stroke my chin... this was meant to get some conversation started

Remember when Bryce Love was thing? lol

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, derp said:

He runs pretty upright, no? Reminds me of McFadden.

i love you. 

I was going to elaborate my post by saying - to understand why I like Lovett so much, you have to understand that I'm still chasing the dream of DMC circa 2007 at Arkansas. I will never stop loving that film. The Perfect backfield in my offense has a McFadden slash and dash back paired with a contact grinder like DJ/Hunt

18 minutes ago, Paradis said:

i love you. 

I was going to elaborate my post by saying - to understand why I like Lovett so much, you have to understand that I'm still chasing the dream of DMC circa 2007 at Arkansas. I will never stop loving that film. The Perfect backfield in my offense has a McFadden slash and dash back paired with a contact grinder like DJ/Hunt

I saw the notification of the quote and figured you’d give me a hard time for the comparison so I’m glad you got where I was going haha. Figure if McFadden came into the pros without expectations of being drafted as high as he did he would’ve been remembered differently. I could see wanting that kind of a back as a part of your backfield with the understanding you’re not giving him 20 carries a game. And I don’t really want a 20 carry a game back in the current NFL.

Also man you love Baylor players.

My $.02 on Harris is he reminds me of Forte, which I feel like was mentioned a while back. I think if he ends up on a good offense he’s a stud, but he’d underwhelm somewhere like the Jets.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

Don't sleep on him, he's one of my favorites.

26 minutes ago, derp said:

My $.02 on Harris is he reminds me of Forte, which I feel like was mentioned a while back. I think if he ends up on a good offense he’s a stud, but he’d underwhelm somewhere like the Jets.

Harris is a much more powerful runner than Forte. 

45 minutes ago, RobR said:

Harris is a much more powerful runner than Forte. 

That is fair and reasonable. I intended that more from the perspective of how someone will produce than a stylistic comparison. Harris is certainly more powerful and I still don’t think I see him as a great fit on this roster as constructed.

I’m also just not huge on bigger backs so there’s certainly some bias at play there.

• Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, Paradis said:

would sleep never, maybe pass, but never sleep. 

As i've intimated a dozen times, if he crushes 2020, my tune will change. 

I'm not sure what you're missing. The guy has great size, good vision, great hands, can run with power, and is criminally underrated when it comes to athleticism. He's not gonna run a 4.4 but he'll be in that 4.5 area.

9 hours ago, maury77 said:

I'm surprised you guys left Journey Brown off the list. Big home run hitter.

This. I’ve never seen a guy who so noticeably pulls away from defenders.

He has a remarkable second gear and reportedly runs in the 4.29s, which at 205 is really impressive. 

I also like the burst on Kenny Gainwell. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, RobR said:

I'm not sure what you're missing. The guy has great size, good vision, great hands, can run with power, and is criminally underrated when it comes to athleticism. He's not gonna run a 4.4 but he'll be in that 4.5 area.

it's like Darrell Henderson all over again. To be fair, before last year he didn't fit that description. Honestly, if I worked for a GM  and was asked for my cheat sheet, i would have to include Harris that at #3 to fair and let he/she make the call (2020 woke).. I favor different styles. I'm sure by january if he doesn't face plant, he'll have won me over.

Agreed that Harris should be on the list, but I like that you don’t have Hubbard on here.

Stay far away from that dickhole. Plays like Bell with a fraction of the anticipation and vision.

Many stuffs at the line and 2 yard gains in his future before he’s ultimately left in the dust before his rookie contract expires.

And Hill is probably my biggest sleeper at this point.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Agreed that Harris should be on the list, but I like that you don’t have Hubbard on here.

Stay far away from that dickhole. Plays like Bell with a fraction of the anticipation and vision.

Many stuffs at the line and 2 yard gains in his future before he’s ultimately left in the dust before his rookie contract expires.

And Hill is probably my biggest sleeper at this point.

I've only watched two games of Hubbard and I don't see it even though he has some incredible stats.

• Upvote 1