Early 2021 top 5 RBs

Paradis

6 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'd love Etiene with our 2nd. I'm not sure Douglas takes as RB that high though.

Etiene is far and away my favorite college back. Great speed, can run between the tackles, durable and has terrific hands for any passing scheme. He is the prototype NFL back but unfortunately for the Jets, I don't think he makes it out of round 1. I agree it's doubtful JD pulls the trigger for a RB that early.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

On 9/29/2020 at 1:51 PM, maury77 said:

I'm surprised you guys left Journey Brown off the list. Big home run hitter.

Just watched a bit and every play on that vid was open space and a fast back that took advantage of it. He's fast as hell but even that vid showcases a one horse pony. Future bust.

On 9/29/2020 at 12:52 PM, Paradis said:

I mean it's only september, but it kinda feels like that's where his sweet spot will be. Would be great value. 

Can you imagine a world where the JETS first 3 picks (inside the first 35 picks we'll say) is WR, TE, RB... ? Feels like Star Trek level fantasy. 

We have greater needs. Like 15 new starters. QB, Edge, CB, WR

16 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Agreed that Harris should be on the list, but I like that you don’t have Hubbard on here.

Stay far away from that dickhole. Plays like Bell with a fraction of the anticipation and vision.

Many stuffs at the line and 2 yard gains in his future before he’s ultimately left in the dust before his rookie contract expires.

And Hill is probably my biggest sleeper at this point.

Hill is something of a anti-thesis to Harris. Unreal short area speed/burst... but i noticed after watching some games he has no top gear. Will never pull away from DBs. 

12 hours ago, RobR said:

Hate the highlight vids but Bama puts solid backs into the NFL. @Paradis

yea yea... I know. he's oodles of potential as a workhorse... runs somewhere between Henry and Kamara in style. The lack of short quickness hurts him behind the line, but that's not really why you draft him. He's an anchor. He's stiff arm leaves me stiff. 

• Upvote 1

Whatcha you guys think of Rakeem Boyd?  I like his size and long speed. Downhill runner with good hands and likes to get dirty in pass pro..

Don't think offense did him in any favors, think you get your mileage out of him lined up in formations that give him some steam.  

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Whatcha you guys think of Rakeem Boyd?  I like his size and long speed. Downhill runner with good hands and likes to get dirty in pass pro..

Don't think offense did him in any favors, think you get your mileage out of him lined up in formations that give him some steam.  

An Arkansas RB wearing #5, no wonder you like him....Lol

On 9/30/2020 at 8:21 PM, RobR said:

I've only watched two games of Hubbard and I don't see it even though he has some incredible stats.

He just has excellent speed and agility and in that wide open offense that puts him in space he can eat up stats.  But his vision isnt there for me.  I dont hate him as an RB, but he isnt someone id pick before rd 3/4 ish

On 10/1/2020 at 12:44 PM, Paradis said:

watching him when youre watching woods?!?! lol 

• 3 months later...

wow what a difference 4 months makes--

• Apparently Harris IS good after all ;)
  • R. Boyd stunk it up and the more i watched the more i hated him after contact. Got a little ahead of myself there. UDFA
  • Lovett transferred to Penn State, that should be interesting next year. Baylor was impossible to enjoy this year
  • Couple of previously unknowns shined. Think i found my "under a rock" back in Nate McCrary, though coming out of Div-II might be hard for him to get any looks. Very little opportunity to show his stuff when the school had no football (covid) and not a lot work outs to show off.

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

wow what a difference 4 months makes--

• Apparently Harris IS good after all ;)
  • R. Boyd stunk it up and the more i watched the more i hated him after contact. Got a little ahead of myself there. UDFA
  • Lovett transferred to Penn State, that should be interesting next year. Baylor was impossible to enjoy this year
  • Couple of previously unknowns shined. Think i found my "under a rock" back in Nate McCrary, though coming out of Div-II might be hard for him to get any looks. Very little opportunity to show his stuff when the school had no football (covid) and not a lot work outs to show off.

This is who you should focus your interest on. Big guy that's a one cut monster and he can catch the ball.

• Sympathy 2

8 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

What about the North Carolina RBs,  Michael Carter and Javonte Williams?  There's a bit of a Lightning and Thunder combo to them.  Any value in the mid/late rounds if JD wants another body like he did with Perine?

Carter is perfect for our new offense. 

• Upvote 2

I drool over the thought of Najee Harris, but realistically don't expect us to take him at #23 where we would need to.

But as to the rest of these guys, I can't help but wonder if investing in a road-grading type of OG wouldn't be a better overall move.  You put a Dwayne White type Guard next to Becton and you should be able to run left all day.  Or else opposing defenses stack that side and you open up the right side to RPO plays.  

I guess the question is, are any of these guys other than Harris really that much better than the guys we have now?  I think we just started to explore how good Ty Johnson and Josh Adams might be and I'd be curious to see how Saleh and LaFleur see them in their system.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, nycdan said:

I drool over the thought of Najee Harris, but realistically don't expect us to take him at #23 where we would need to.

But as to the rest of these guys, I can't help but wonder if investing in a road-grading type of OG wouldn't be a better overall move.  You put a Dwayne White type Guard next to Becton and you should be able to run left all day.  Or else opposing defenses stack that side and you open up the right side to RPO plays.  

I guess the question is, are any of these guys other than Harris really that much better than the guys we have now?  I think we just started to explore how good Ty Johnson and Josh Adams might be and I'd be curious to see how Saleh and LaFleur see them in their system.

I agree that a road grater is more prudent- but i wouldn’t assume Harris doesn’t hang around till the end of 1. Teams like us will prioritize positions like OG or C or CB - and it would necessitate a team like PIT deciding to burn their pick on a luxury tax. Will depend on whether other areas of need are depleted. 

No’s; IND, TEN, BAL KC CLE GB TB NOS LAR WSH etc 

more likely a team trades up late in the 1st like us or Mia around 30-32 if anything imo 

I still don’t get the Harris fascination but I’m probably over the top in terms of wanting a home run hitter.

Makes even less sense now with the switch to a Shanahan style system. 

Think it’s likely we’ll be seeing quicker guards instead of road graders too - fun as a road grader to go with Becton would be.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

1213928421_ScreenShot2021-01-19at8_24_48PM.thumb.png.4b33280c28d1992c8fec0d72cb94f669.png1038449046_ScreenShot2021-01-19at8_24_32PM.thumb.png.09d75482bec9ae8b8ec80f41c018b5a3.png

https://thedraftnetwork.com/

Interestingly enough, both UNC RB's appear to be 'scheme fits' for us. 

Granted, it's only from one source, and they offer different skillsets as runningbacks, but I've been liking that this website tries to give scheme fits. 

From what I watched of UNC this past season, Williams’ balance is as good as any back in this draft.  He always seemed to keep his feet underneath him.   Plus he looks very comfortable catching the ball, he may not have the long speed of an Etienne, but he’s more than fast enough IMO.  

• Upvote 2

From what I watched of UNC this past season, Williams’ balance is as good as any back in this draft.  He always seemed to keep his feet underneath him.   Plus he looks very comfortable catching the ball, he may not have the long speed of an Etienne, but he’s more than fast enough IMO.  

I’d rather take Williams in round 3 than Harris or Etienne in the first 2 rounds. Williams doesn’t have a lot of miles on him due to splitting carries with Carter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/20/2021 at 2:11 PM, maury77 said:

I’d rather take Williams in round 3 than Harris or Etienne in the first 2 rounds. Williams doesn’t have a lot of miles on him due to splitting carries with Carter

Etienne is a special type of back tho.  Draft Sewell at 2 Etienne at 33 and we have an elite running game next 4-5 years

You set up the pass with the run

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Etienne is a special type of back tho.  Draft Sewell at 2 Etienne at 33 and we have an elite running game next 4-5 years

You set up the pass with the run

Etienne is a very good player, but he is not a big back and he has a lot of miles on him. With all the holes on the team, I just can't favor drafting a RB in the first round (particularly when SF was able to produce with Raheem Mosert and Jeff Wilson last year). 

• Upvote 1

On 10/1/2020 at 6:57 AM, Wonderboy said:

We have greater needs. Like 15 new starters. QB, Edge, CB, WR

Draft Sewell, draft Etienne and develop an elite running game.  

Suddenly the QB looks better, offense can stay on the field giving the defense a break.  The entire team looks better

Frank Gore averaged 3.5 ypc last season as Gase’s featured back - awful by today’s standards

On 1/22/2021 at 2:03 PM, maury77 said:

Etienne is a very good player, but he is not a big back and he has a lot of miles on him. With all the holes on the team, I just can't favor drafting a RB in the first round (particularly when SF was able to produce with Raheem Mosert and Jeff Wilson last year). 

Both starting running backs in the super bowl are first round picks 

If we draft Etienne he will share duties with Perine/Johnson

Both starting running backs in the super bowl are first round picks 

If we draft Etienne he will share duties with Perine/Johnson

That’s correct, both are first rounders. Fournette was picked at 4 overall by another team and signed with Tampa after being waived by the Jags. CEH was drafted by a loaded team that had just won a Super Bowl. The Jets (who have needs everywhere) are not a loaded team coming off a championship that cannot afford the luxury of a 1st round running back.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, maury77 said:

That’s correct, both are first rounders. Fournette was picked at 4 overall by another team and signed with Tampa after being waived by the Jags. CEH was drafted by a loaded team that had just won a Super Bowl. The Jets (who have needs everywhere) are not a loaded team coming off a championship that cannot afford the luxury of a 1st round running back.

It is what it is.  Running game matters still in the nfl.  Our running game with Gore who was old and slow and had 3.5 ypc last year sucked 

Besides both super bowl starters these are other high draft pick RBs

Dalvin Cook - has made Kirk Cousins look good past 3 years

Derrick Henry - has made Tannehill look good for 2 years

Saquon Barkley - injured this year but brilliant first 2 seasons

Jonathan Taylor - 1,100 yards 11 tds last year for the colts

All drafted in the first 2 rounds

On 1/28/2021 at 4:47 AM, Philc1 said:

It is what it is.  Running game matters still in the nfl.  Our running game with Gore who was old and slow and had 3.5 ypc last year sucked 

Besides both super bowl starters these are other high draft pick RBs

Dalvin Cook - has made Kirk Cousins look good past 3 years

Derrick Henry - has made Tannehill look good for 2 years

Saquon Barkley - injured this year but brilliant first 2 seasons

Jonathan Taylor - 1,100 yards 11 tds last year for the colts

All drafted in the first 2 rounds

Mmmm, probably need to put the building blocks in place first. We had a pro-bowl RB last season, running behind a fairly trash O-line. You can have a mediocre RB look awesome behind a great O line.