WR Breshad Perriman concussion.

27 minutes ago, jacarter220 said:

I mean yes, technically it was illegal, per the "defenseless receiver" rule. But I don't really buy into the "vicious and illegal hit to the head" stuff. He hit him square in the chest with his shoulder. May have slightly glanced the facemask. Technically illegal because he's "defenseless?" Sure. But definitely not a dirty play on Hyde's part. Bang bang play.

perriman.PNG

My question would be - is that how players are taught to tackle? Go in high and sideways so you no longer see the target?

His shoulder pad is up at the receiver's neck level. And what happens after this static image? Do the two players just fall down, or does their momentum carry them further into each other? That pad is going to continue into Perriman's face mask / head, and Hyde's helmet is likely to impact too. A static shot doesn't tell the whole story.

It was clear from the number of flags that got thrown in that this was in no way a "bang bang" kind of play. All officials immediately reacted with yellow, it was not clean in any way per the rules as they are now. What was OK 20 years ago has no bearing.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Ok, i didn't re watch the play or anything just going off live memory... 

I didn't the defender was at fault on the level people are indicating. He was defenseless receiver and he'll have to pay the penalty price for that, but if you have a chance to make a play on the ball, or on the receiver right after, you have to try. 

It was a very close play to clean. I think the refs initially reacted to the viciousness of the hit, and decided nit to overturn it. It was more a defenseless player being hit is what I think they ruled. That is not always a black or white call.

2 minutes ago, jamesr said:

My question would be - is that how players are taught to tackle? Go in high and sideways so you no longer see the target?

His shoulder pad is up at the receiver's neck level. And what happens after this static image? Do the two players just fall down, or does their momentum carry them further into each other? That pad is going to continue into Perriman's face mask / head, and Hyde's helmet is likely to impact too. A static shot doesn't tell the whole story.

It was clear from the number of flags that got thrown in that this was in no way a "bang bang" kind of play. All officials immediately reacted with yellow, it was not clean in any way per the rules as they are now. What was OK 20 years ago has no bearing.

It is a very grey area. You can't lead with the head. You can't hit up around the head. But you need to tackle the player.

Sometimes it is just bang/bang as you suggest, and you have to live with the interpretation. 

If it was a Jet player doing that on defense we would be saying, "why the flag?". 

16 hours ago, Gibby said:

Hate to see injuries, especially concussions. Truth is... 25 years ago.... That’s nothing but a NICE HIT!! He got JACKED UP! Instead that drew a flag.

I have watched quite a few old games  and this is a myth. Players hit harder today than the did 25 years ago. There were a few that pushed the boundaries like Lott but it was not the wild west like people remember 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

I thought it was a murder ball, too

That's a little nuts to me.  Well thrown ball into the hands of a WR streaking down the sideline.  If we now want the QB to assess not only whether his WR will be open but whether the defender will tackle the WR illegally or dangerously after the pass is completed we're going to take even more steps backwards in developing our QBs.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I got a re watch this… from what I recall it was a soft throw and got their way too late

Putting a wide receiver out to dry is leading him to the defender with the ball placement, where his momentum is carrying him directly into the path of that defender.
On this play, it was down the sideline and ball was leading the receiver toward the sideline. The defender just had a bead on the receiver. That is football. Defense gets paid to cover guys too.
Darnold has many faults from Sunday's game, but he did not lay out the receiver there.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app