Clemson vs Notre Dame

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

We were told it would be a blowout.  A gold wave if you would.  It turned out to be a squeaker.

Who told you? Certainly not the oddsmakers. Clemson has talent oozing out all over the place. Sweeney is a recruiting machine constantly getting talent. ND does ok but not like Alabama, LSU and Clemson. 

That said, I can see Ian Book drafted in  round 4-6. Kids tough and has good pocket presence. Pretty accurate arm but lacks huge arm. 

37 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Who told you? Certainly not the oddsmakers. Clemson has talent oozing out all over the place. Sweeney is a recruiting machine constantly getting talent. ND does ok but not like Alabama, LSU and Clemson. 

That said, I can see Ian Book drafted in  round 4-6. Kids tough and has good pocket presence. Pretty accurate arm but lacks huge arm. 

I don't know....reminds me very much of Trace McSorley, really good college QB, but not a pro.

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

I don't know....reminds me very much of Trace McSorley, really good college QB, but not a pro.

Wasn’t McSorely more of an RPO QB?

ND appears to run a more pro-style set. With the WR unit they have had these last few years(Boykin, Claypool) they throw the ball downfield 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Wasn’t McSorely more of an RPO QB?

ND appears to run a more pro-style set. With the WR unit they have had these last few years(Boykin, Claypool) they throw the ball downfield 

Could be right. On a side note, wouldn't be too upset if we looked at some of those ND O linemen.?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

i have have watched every game of ian book’s career to date. He isn't good in fact i will go as far as to say he holds the team back .  Ill give him credit he has been decent to average this year. But i wouldn't draft him at all he is game manger at best now in college i don't see him as QB draftable upside there.  But then again i said the same thing about jake Fromm and be got picked in the 5th . So you may be right. 

2 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Keep the thread about the game. If you want to talk about COVID go to the forum for it

As far as the game go. If Trevor was playing ND would of lost. They made too many mistakes and the refs sucked. That being said who is the new 1 & 2. Does ND jump over Ohio who only has 3 wins against average teams?

I would think ND stays behind OSU for two reasons.1) no Trevor is huge 2) OSU won comfortably.

28 minutes ago, section314 said:

Could be right. On a side note, wouldn't be too upset if we looked at some of those ND O linemen.?

Agreed. Big & nasty. Big holes and push on those goal line plays. They also seem to have replaced Claypool with McKinley(5/102) and Skowronek reminds me of Thielin (Vikings).

The freshman TE Mayer will be another great ND TE coming out in a couple of years.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Notre Dame should stay behind OSU because imo, OSU should be number 1.

There was a lot of talk about Clemson being injured, but Notre Dame was missing their top two speed receivers and their number 1 guy went out with a head injury.  Not being able to stretch the field allowed Clemson to cheat down.  Add those outside threats and Clemson can't cheat all night and that beast o-line gashes their D.  

However, If Trevor played, Clemson wins.  DJ put up HUGE numbers, but still left a lot of plays out there that Trevor probably makes.  If both teams were at full strength, Clemson wins.  Too much talent to not eventually pull away. 

I will say this with confidence, Notre Dame is not over rated like everyone here likes to say.  They're not Alabama, Clemson, or OSU loaded, but they fit right in with the next tier of powerhouses.  The only position they currently lack top end talent is receiver which sucks, because it's been a strength with most of their recent teams.

• Post of the Week 1

21 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

OSU played Rutgers. The Jets could beat Rutgers. 

Agreed, but you can’t drop a team because they”only won” by 25 points. The OSU coach took it easy on Schiano in the 2nd half. If OSU and ND played this week on a neutral field, what do you think the line would be? I’d say OSU by at least 10.

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

Agreed, but you can’t drop a team because they”only won” by 25 points. The OSU coach took it easy on Schiano in the 2nd half. If OSU and ND played this week on a neutral field, what do you think the line would be? I’d say OSU by at least 10.

I don't know what the line would be, but OSU wins that game 8 out of 10 times.  

Notre Dame is very well coached and extremely talented, but lacks the depth and quarterback talent to keep up with OSU over the course of a full 60 minutes.   OSU would eventually overwhelm. 

• Upvote 1

Got to hand it to Notre Dame, they came to play.   Didnt look like the typical overhyped ND teams that cant hang with the big boys.   Ian Book is a playmaker and seems like he gives them a punchers chance in any game.    I dont think this game was different with Lawrence.  DJ played very well and unlike any game that Lawrence has ever played, ND shut down the run game so that game was legitimately all on DJ to win which is a tough ask on the road in your 2nd ever start.  I think Lawrence gives them a more dynamic run game but the Clemson OL was manhandled so I really dont see it being a different outcome.

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Got to hand it to Notre Dame, they came to play.   Didnt look like the typical overhyped ND teams that cant hang with the big boys.   Ian Book is a playmaker and seems like he gives them a punchers chance in any game.    I dont think this game was different with Lawrence.  DJ played very well and unlike any game that Lawrence has ever played, ND shut down the run game so that game was legitimately all on DJ to win which is a tough ask on the road in your 2nd ever start.  I think Lawrence gives them a more dynamic run game but the Clemson OL was manhandled so I really dont see it being a different outcome.

I agree about the O-line, it’s been bad all year.   The only difference if TL was playing would be the play selection, the playbook is bigger with TL in there and they have him make more decisions.   With DJ in there, they don’t put as much on his plate.   

7 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I agree about the O-line, it’s been bad all year.   The only difference if TL was playing would be the play selection, the playbook is bigger with TL in there and they have him make more decisions.   With DJ in there, they don’t put as much on his plate.   

Understandable.  I dont think I watch enough to see that type of detail.  That said, ND's D did a great job of taking away some of the plays that develop behind the LOS that you guys seem to also run with TL but I what I wouldnt know is if they had wrinkles/were limited on the variety of those plays the could call with DJ.  I still thought he played very well.  Great composure to get you guys the lead, questionable play calling when you had a chance to put it away and TE didnt do any favors by going out of bounds.  All that said, totally unacceptable to get beat on a double move like that at end game.

19 minutes ago, JiF said:

Understandable.  I dont think I watch enough to see that type of detail.  That said, ND's D did a great job of taking away some of the plays that develop behind the LOS that you guys seem to also run with TL but I what I wouldnt know is if they had wrinkles/were limited on the variety of those plays the could call with DJ.  I still thought he played very well.  Great composure to get you guys the lead, questionable play calling when you had a chance to put it away and TE didnt do any favors by going out of bounds.  All that said, totally unacceptable to get beat on a double move like that at end game.

Tony Elliot isn’t as good as Jeff Scott was with play calling.  They miss him a lot and not just as a play caller but as a WR coach as well.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, section314 said:

OSU - 7/15 I’m guessing. As a life long ND fan I wait from them to mess up. 

• Sympathy 1

On 11/8/2020 at 9:40 AM, section314 said:

I guessing you can. 

1. Bama

2. ND

3. Ohio

5 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Ohio has a huge following abs ND still would of been 3 so it won’t be that different. ND beat the #1 team Ohio beat Rutgers. 

Its not about OSU vs ND fans.... It's about the #5 & 6 teams. With sports ratings down accross the board, even if ND stumbles (more likely than OSU) they can still drop down to 4th and still secure a PO berth. It's all about the $ in a pandemic economy. Ask the NBA & MLB.

39 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Its not about OSU vs ND fans.... It's about the #5 & 6 teams. With sports ratings down accross the board, even if ND stumbles (more likely than OSU) they can still drop down to 4th and still secure a PO berth. It's all about the $ in a pandemic economy. Ask the NBA & MLB.

I'm an FSU fan of the ACC Conference and even though my Seminoles are struggling again this year, I can honestly say as an ACC crazed fan that both Clemson (7-1) and Notre Dame (7-0 undefeated) deserve to be there.

Notre Dame being ranked top 4 has nothing to do about "money/TV Ratings within a pandemic" and everything to do with them being 7-0, undefeated and coming off an upset victory of #1 Clemson (Lawrence or no Lawrence). 

ND could play Clemson again in an ACC title game, since ND for this year only is in the ACC for football. In which case on a neutral field with Trevor Lawrence, reasonable to expect a very different outcome. This year is a mess, but going forward the playoff should have 8 teams, even if that means dumping conference championships. 

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Totally agree.   If you have Alabama and OSU win out and finish 1-2, have ND and Clemson win out, you will have a Clemson/ND rematch in the ACC Championship game.  Say Clemson wins a close game, both have one loss, you could potentially have first round play off matchups of Alabama/Notre Dame and OSU/Clemson.  That’s probably as good as the committee could have hoped for.   

Plus you would have the likely #1 and #2 picks in the draft, a dominant Alabama team and a “National” team in Notre Dame.  As far as rating go, it doesn’t get any better.  

• Upvote 2

Clemson's defense is not what it has been the past couple of years but they are still going to be in the playoff. Notre Dame is a Senior laden team especially on the offensive line. It will not surprise me in the least if they are there as well.

Big game for the Irish coming up against BC. 

16 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

Clemson's defense is not what it has been the past couple of years but they are still going to be in the playoff. Notre Dame is a Senior laden team especially on the offensive line. It will not surprise me in the least if they are there as well.

Big game for the Irish coming up against BC. 

"Trap" game.

captain kirk badass GIF