Interview Process

addage

I read today that CJ and Elhai were part of the initial screening. That makes no sense to me. In any meeting like that, the most senior person in the room controls the process. 

How can the Jets say JD is going lead this job search if he can’t even have a first meeting on his own?

Does not bode well.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Bronx said:

Question, who cares?

It's certainly worth mentioning. The owner and the President who know little to anything about football being involved in an interview of a professional football coach, especially the first round of interviews seems strange. 

I posted something earlier dating back to the Idzik hire where Woody and his attorney ran the interview and basically asked zero football questions. The Jets integrate other matters (god knows) into these interviews it seems.

• Upvote 1

Just now, football guy said:

This isn't true. CJ/Elhai and the staff on their wing vetted the candidates. They created their profiles and resumes based on background work they accumulated. They spoke to their agents. They created the scripts for questions. 

Douglas is now studying those reports. He adds his personal input. He speaks to his sources around the league. But without a doubt, Douglas is the man in charge during the interview itself. 

Oh that's comforting.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, addage said:

I read today that CJ and Elhai were part of the initial screening. That makes no sense to me. In any meeting like that, the most senior person in the room controls the process. 

How can the Jets say JD is going lead this job search if he can’t even have a first meeting on his own?

Does not bode well.

You just dont get how interviews work

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Oh that's comforting.

Yeah it's not like they they said "here, these are the list of candidates you have to choose from." 

They essentially worked as the Recruitment coordinators and created a list of candidates. Word is it was about 25-30, which is considered a huge list by NFL standards. Douglas is going to (or already has) narrowed it down to a number not yet known; it's possible he added candidates too. The sense is his "interview list" is apparently 10-12 candidates which sounds high... last I heard 3 interviews were set for this week (we now know was with Bieniemy) and they have at least 5 scheduled for next week

• Upvote 2

Right there from the first interaction the candidate is having with the team, JD’s authority is being compromised and the message is sent that he’s not really in charge. Very shortsighted by Johnsons. They never managed anything in their life and thus don’t realize when you undercut the authority of your lieutenants, you undercut your own authority. Smart bosses empower and elevate the perceived authority of their lieutenants. It’s a force multiplier.

• WTF? 1

4 hours ago, football guy said:

Yeah it's not like they they said "here, these are the list of candidates you have to choose from." 

They essentially worked as the Recruitment coordinators and created a list of candidates. Word is it was about 25-30, which is considered a huge list by NFL standards. Douglas is going to (or already has) narrowed it down to a number not yet known; it's possible he added candidates too. The sense is his "interview list" is apparently 10-12 candidates which sounds high... last I heard 3 interviews were set for this week (we now know was with Bieniemy) and they have at least 5 scheduled for next week

What is Elhais football background and what are the types of questions he’d be asking a professional football coach? 

A guy that has nothing to do with the product on the field (or so we’ve been told, ha) asking interview questions is a major flag and presumably a major flag to any potential candidates.

• WTF? 1

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

What is Elhais football background and what are the types of questions he’d be asking a professional football coach? 

A guy that has nothing to do with the product on the field (or so we’ve been told, ha) asking interview questions is a major flag and presumably a major flag to any potential candidates.

If I was an owner, the extent if my meddling into the process would be to 1. insist we don’t hire an embarrassing psycho (Rex) and 2. Be kept in the loop regarding the financials in the event my GM got a hard-on for hiring Jim Harbaugh or Mike Gundy and it was going to cost me an extra $30 mil over four years to gwt it done. Worst case (and this would be my fear re: Elhai), they’re taking into account the marketability of any coach they hire and giving precedence to candidates who can sell tickets/sound good on The Michael Kay Show

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If I was an owner, the extent if my meddling into the process would be to 1. insist we don’t hire an embarrassing psycho (Rex) and 2. Be kept in the loop regarding the financials in the event my GM got a hard-on for hiring Jim Harbaugh or Mike Gundy and it was going to cost me an extra $30 mil over four years to gwt it done. Worst case (and this would be my fear re: Elhai), they’re taking into account the marketability of any coach they hire and giving precedence to candidates who can sell tickets/sound good on The Michael Kay Show

Yeah, which is why I don’t get why they don’t allow Douglas to 1. Be in charge as he comes off as a better speaker than they realize 2.back off the football team. This interview process with CJ and Elhai involved on interview 1, that could not be a more red flag. You’re losing candidates right off the bat with that Mickey Mouse stuff.

If CJ wants to give the final tour of the facility and pick up the tab at Del Friscos after the ink is dry- great. Him bumbling through an interview with guys who have coached their entire lives? Not great.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Yeah, which is why I don’t get why they don’t allow Douglas to 1. Be in charge as he comes off as a better speaker than they realize 2.back off the football team. This interview process with CJ and Elhai involved on interview 1, that could not be a more red flag. You’re losing candidates right off the bat with that Mickey Mouse stuff.

If CJ wants to give the final tour of the facility and pick up the tab at Del Friscos after the ink is dry- great. Him bumbling through an interview with guys who have coached their entire lives? Not great.

The caveat is that I think every team operates this way, and that prospective coaches want the owner involved in the process in some capacity(?) I’d see it as disrespect if I was a candidate for an HC gig and the owner didn’t deign to speak to me right off the bat. The Johnson Problem  has been thinking that they’re at least an equal partner in the hiring process, but they’ve expressed a few times now that this isn’t the case anymore

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The caveat is that I think every team operates this way, and that prospecting coaches want the owner involved in the process in some capacity(?) I’d see it as disrespect if I was a candidate for an HC gig and the owner didn’t deign to speak to me right off the bat. The Johnson Problem  has been thinking that they’re at least an equal partner in the hiring process, but they’ve expressed a few times now that this isn’t the case anymore

What does the other guy do? I know for a fact Biscotti wasn’t interviewing Harbaugh. Ozzie was.

28 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He is in charge.  Just because others are in on the process doesnt mean he isnt.  Two of us where part of the interview process, spoke to candidates and gave our opinions.  Our boss made the ultimate decision whether I agreed or not.  Who was in charge? 

WTF is the matter with people?  Theres more to being the HC of a team than X's and O's, do people understand this?  

49 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

What does the other guy do? I know for a fact Biscotti wasn’t interviewing Harbaugh. Ozzie was.

If you interview with the Pats, you’re talking to Kraft, Cowboys: Jones, Giants: Mara. I don’t think the problem is having Johnson in the room, I think the problem is letting Johnson have veto power or a deciding vote

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

I respect your opinion and I have a few moments before my next meeting so I will respond.

The reality is that in the business world there is this thing called panel interviews.  The hiring manager or executive, depending on the level of the hire, selects a pool of possible candidates.  He or she conducts interviews with these prospects.  If people above them have certain requirements needed to fill this vacancy they are informed before the process begins.  Once the hiring manager has narrowed his list the panel interview process begins.

The panel interview questions usually have nothing to do with job tasks specific to the position. Rather they are along the lines of "tell me about a time that you had a deadline for a project that you could not meet.  How did you handle it" or "tell me about a co worker that was difficult to deal with and how you over came their objections" etc.  These are important questions and I would point to the Giants situation with their offensive line coach.

Most of the information coming out point to JD being the "hiring manager".  This Eli guy seems to be an intelligent person that will give his input on how the hire would respond to working in this market, organization skills etc.

Just my $0.02

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

I respect your opinion and I have a few moments before my next meeting so I will respond.

The reality is that in the business world there is this thing called panel interviews.  The hiring manager or executive, depending on the level of the hire, selects a pool of possible candidates.  He or she conducts interviews with these prospects.  If people above them have certain requirements needed to fill this vacancy they are informed before the process begins.  Once the hiring manager has narrowed his list the panel interview process begins.

The panel interview questions usually have nothing to do with job tasks specific to the position. Rather they are along the lines of "tell me about a time that you had a deadline for a project that you could not meet.  How did you handle it" or "tell me about a co worker that was difficult to deal with and how you over came their objections" etc.  These are important questions and I would point to the Giants situation with their offensive line coach.

Most of the information coming out point to JD being the "hiring manager".  This Eli guy seems to be an intelligent person that will give his input on how the hire would respond to working in this market, organization skills etc.

Just my $0.02

Fair enough and I am aware as I have sat through countless of these. Elhai asking the boilerplate "tell me how have you handled a tight deadline" or "explain a time you didnt see eye to eye with a colleague" IDK...just doesnt seem necessary. At the end of the day, what is the organization looking for to lead a team and how would Elhai know this? From my understanding he's only been with the Jets his entire career. If the Jets had brought in someone from the outside I'd probably have more confidence.

57 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

There's your problem. Glad we're on the same page.

I said JD is in charge.

Others can be part of the process, give input, JD makes the pick

Like most of the real world, more than one person is involved in the interview process.

If JD is the problem in your mind, well didnt you say he was getting fired?

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Fair enough and I am aware as I have sat through countless of these. Elhai asking the boilerplate "tell me how have you handled a tight deadline" or "explain a time you didnt see eye to eye with a colleague" IDK...just doesnt seem necessary. At the end of the day, what is the organization looking for to lead a team and how would Elhai know this? From my understanding he's only been with the Jets his entire career. If the Jets had brought in someone from the outside I'd probably have more confidence.

I figured you are aware and I consider you intelligent :) and if Elhai has been around the Jets his entire career he has seen a lot of failure at this position.  You know that saying that you learn more from failing than you do from succeeding.  The Jets are on record as stating that they are looking for more than just a HC, they want a CEO type.  Sheeeet, pop warner coaches have playbooks.  They want more than X and Os, and when (and when not to) play cover zero.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

I figured you are aware and I consider you intelligent :) and if Elhai has been around the Jets his entire career he has seen a lot of failure at this position.  You know that saying that you learn more from failing than you do from succeeding.  The Jets are on record as stating that they are looking for more than just a HC, they want a CEO type.  Sheeeet, pop warner coaches have playbooks.  They want more than X and Os, and when (and when not to) play cover zero.

71560223-52B8-4FF9-99E2-13C0FA567F7D.gif

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

It’s almost as if they’re operating as a team. Idiots. 

People just don't get it.  They think a 60 year old billionaire owner and CEO of a $3.5 billion dollar family business isn't going to have a say in who the face of his franchise is?

They are so naïve its almost adorable.

SAR I

A few responses.

Elhai played college football.  He has a reputation as a guy with some understanding of the game.  He is a "business" type but seems able to relate to the football professionals.  I have read that in a couple of places but can't easily go back and find the links.

No one thinks ownership isn't going to participate.  But much more typical is for the "manager" overseeing the "department" to do the initial screening and come up with several viable candidates.  Presumably, then, all of the finalists are "acceptable" to the manager and the senior personnel are in a veto position over the finalists.  If done properly, all of the finalists are acceptable to JD.

By having ownership and business management participate in first interviews, the risk is that JD either has to either get in conflict with his bosses or (more typically of this type of hiring situation) has to accept a coaching hire that he doesn't fully support.

So all of the lip service paid to creating a unified football staff led by professionals is undercut by how they have approached the first public interview.

9 hours ago, football guy said:

... we now know the 2nd interview. There will be a 3rd, whether it has already happened or will happen between today-tomorrow I'm not sure. There will be a slew of interviews beginning Sunday (next week)