Albert Breer Article: Why Saleh picked the Jets

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's all fine and good that the Johnson's support the players and everything.  It's also true that the Jets have the longest active playoff drought in the NFL.  You don't get to that point if ownership is competent.

Saleh's take is far more indicative of what Douglas has brought to the table than anything the Johnson's are doing.  Douglas ran the coaching search.  This was his hire.  

CJ hired Douglas. He also changed the organizational structure to better support Douglas.

This thing “feels” like it’s going to move in the right direction. Douglas gets credit for that. But he’s not here without CJ. It took CJ some time to learn what to do as an owner though. I think he will eventually be viewed as a good owner. But past criticisms are certainly warranted. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

CJ hired Douglas. He also changed the organizational structure to better support Douglas.

This thing “feels” like it’s going to move in the right direction. Douglas gets credit for that. But he’s not here without CJ. It took CJ some time to learn what to do as an owner though. I think he will eventually be viewed as a good owner. But past criticisms are certainly warranted. 

Woody's back.  You'll probbly see CJ as many times as you did the first 16 years Johnson has owned the team.  0

Can't say as I'll miss him

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'd also like to point out that the above is a fantastic ******* joke, and if your job doesn't demand that you have to experience the excruciating pain of endless Zoom in order to get it, I am envious of you.

Zoom Zoom Zoom

• Upvote 1

"the fact that they allowed me into the circle, there’s no way those three are gonna fail"

That's some Rex Ryan quality stuff right there.

Saleh is enthusiastic but respectfully, these words are all prime quality, A1 horse sh1t.

Those three people that Saleh deemed to be very special, screwed it up royally in the previous two years....

Gase was the central-casting perfect patsy, the decoy. The guy everyone loved to hate, took the fall.

The truth  behind the Jets franchise will be indicated by performance, nothing else...just as it was the previous two years.

Bad luck is just another beautiful excuse. 

If they turn things around, then we will know that the words mean something. Until then its a Jets public relations department Kumbaya drum circle moment. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, flgreen said:

So much so that when Saleh went to get into his car service ride to head off to Florida for his interview with the Eagles, he texted his wife, Sanaa: Honey, if they call, we’re going to New York. They later called and, in a twist befitting Saleh’s good feeling for the organization, he did more than take the job—he actively chose the Jets.

I read the article.  I know that is what they are selling.  I am not buying.  He interviewed on something like the 8th.  Then he interviewed with another bunch of teams.  He interviewed with 5 teams that needed a coach.  He came in for an interview on the 13th and the Jets supposedly wanted to close the deal, but couldn't.   January 14th he is getting on a plane to Florida to meet with Philadlephia and the Jags announce that they are going with Urban Meyer.  Next thing you know he is with the Jets.  Either where was some ulitmatum that he left out there waiting for the Jets to meet, the Jets wanted Meyer, or Saleh was waiting on the Jags job before deciding.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, AlexVanDyke said:

This was a good read and in my opinion highlights some of the unfair criticism of the johnsons.  While some of the hiring has not worked out, the organizational chaos and distinction was always myth largely driven by the ny media and embellished by fans and mass media.

I agree that the "let's laugh at the Jets" mentality prevails to an unfair degree in the media and amongst fans of other teams, but if we're being completely honest, there was organizational chaos here.  This last month is the first time in 5 years that neither Maccagnan nor Gase are here.  Both of them had key positions that they didn't have the competence for - and things were never more dysfunctional than when both were here together.  Having a situation where the HC targeted and destroyed the GM is the height of organizational chaos.

Christopher Johnson seems to be a nice man who really wants to do right by the team.  Woody?  Probably not so much on the "nice" thing (if reports/rumors are to be believed), but I think he also wants to do what he can for the team to succeed.  The problem is that neither one has the football savvy to make the right decisions on their own and they never had a good football man that they could trust to guide them.  

The one thing Gase did right was to encourage CJ to hire Douglas (kind of like how Kotite's one positive legacy was discovering Wayne Chrebet).  Kudos to the Johnsons for recognizing Joe D's legitimacy and respect around the league, and for trusting him to make the right calls needed to rise above the "Same Old Jets" perception.  Coach Saleh's desire to come here, largely because of how JD has stabilized the organization, is the first big get for this new era and will hopefully have a snowball effect in making the Jets an even more desirable destination as opposed to a laughingstock to be avoided (the solid staff that Saleh is putting together and the positive attention from high-profile players like Watson an ARobinson are indications of this).

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I read the article.  I know that is what they are selling.  I am not buying.  He interviewed on something like the 8th.  Then he interviewed with another bunch of teams.  He interviewed with 5 teams that needed a coach.  He came in for an interview on the 13th and the Jets supposedly wanted to close the deal, but couldn't.   January 14th he is getting on a plane to Florida to meet with Philadlephia and the Jags announce that they are going with Urban Meyer.  Next thing you know he is with the Jets.  Either where was some ulitmatum that he left out there waiting for the Jets to meet, the Jets wanted Meyer, or Saleh was waiting on the Jags job before deciding.

or... the Jets just wanted to fulfill their promise to interview Arthur Smith for the second time.   

Cool story tho

11 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Honey, if they call, we’re going to New York. 

Both Saleh, and the Jets have said he wasn't offered a contract on the 13th.

Why would they both lie about that?  C'mon 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Honey, if they call, we’re going to New York. 

Both Saleh, and the Jets have said he wasn't offered a contract on the 13th..  

Why would they both lie about that?  C'mon 

So then it was the Jets that weren't that sure?  I don't think it was anything nefarious or indicating that they are not very happy with the choice.  If it is that the Jets promised Smith a 2nd interview fine, but you're going to have a tough time the convincing me that the first domino falling wasn't a factor

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

So then it was the Jets that weren't that sure?  I don't think it was anything nefarious or indicating that they are not very happy with the choice.  If it is that the Jets promised Smith a 2nd interview fine, but you're going to have a tough time the convincing me that the first domino falling wasn't a factor

Nobody said they weren't happy, or sure, they wanted to talk about it.   That's what you do when you are negotiating a big contract.

If you want to "see ghosts, and dig for negatives.  Cool, that's your choice.

To me, they all seem thrilled, and I see no reason that they would be lying.  Would have been just as easy for Saleh to say "he just wanted to see what other offers he had before committing."  See no reason he would make up a lie involving his wife.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Nobody said they weren't happy, or sure, they wanted to talk about it.   That's what you do when you are negotiating a big contract.

If you want to "see ghosts, and dig for negatives.  Cool, that's your choice.

To me, they all seem thrilled, and I see no reason that they would be lying.  Would have been just as easy for Saleh to say "he just wanted to see what other offers he had before committing."  See no reason he would make up a lie involving his wife.  

I don't see why it is negative or that it is any indication that they weren't thrilled.  I tend to think that the Jacksonville deal had something to do with it, but maybe the Jets just wanted to have Smith in for his in person and by the time Smith left they made their choice.  Either way, I don't see why it is negative.

15 hours ago, GreenFish said:

On a strong recommendation from Gase.  Without Gase, Johnson doesn't fire Maccagnan when he did.  Which would have left the door open for Douglas to end up getting hired elsewhere the following offseason.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's all fine and good that the Johnson's support the players and everything.  It's also true that the Jets have the longest active playoff drought in the NFL.  You don't get to that point if ownership is competent.

Saleh's take is far more indicative of what Douglas has brought to the table than anything the Johnson's are doing.  Douglas ran the coaching search.  This was his hire.  

I never doubted the Johnsons desire to have a successful team with great players and a winning program.  I doubted the Johnsons ability to deliver on that promise, and never believed in their decision making.  In my opinion they are poor decision makers.  

I credit Adam Gase with pushing to get Mac fired and prompting Chris Johnson to hire Joe Douglas.

To me, Joe Douglas is the real deal; he is the difference maker, and he is the reason we now have Robert Saleh.  With both of them here, the sky is the limit.

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I agree and disagree slightly. But mostly agree lol.

I have been as critical of the Johnson's as anyone. Woody followed JetNation on twitter for awhile, so I know he saw it. He was following a handful of people, so trust me the day he unfollowed us, I knew we earned it.  :)

Agree:  This is Douglas. He ran this process. He got the coach and avoided the mistakes of years past.  (hopefully, but I believe it to be true).

The part where Saleh says Douglas is looking for a teammate is very telling. Douglas having another football mind that he is aligned with is good, really good. Having that person report to Douglas is also good.

Disagree:  It is also an indication that ownership is doing the right thing (finally). It took Steinbrenner getting suspended for the Yankees to build that dynasty in the 90's. But ownership here for a variety of reasons is changing. Giving Douglas the power is a huge step in the right direction.

The Johnson's always seemed like nice people. Just bad at football decisions. So if they take themselves out of the mix, that could be enough to get it done. They just have to support Douglas and not get in his way.

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I agree and disagree slightly. But mostly agree lol.

I have been as critical of the Johnson's as anyone. Woody followed JetNation on twitter for awhile, so I know he saw it. He was following a handful of people, so trust me the day he unfollowed us, I knew we earned it.  :)

Agree:  This is Douglas. He ran this process. He got the coach and avoided the mistakes of years past.  (hopefully, but I believe it to be true).

The part where Saleh says Douglas is looking for a teammate is very telling. Douglas having another football mind that he is aligned with is good, really good. Having that person report to Douglas is also good.

Disagree:  It is also an indication that ownership is doing the right thing (finally). It took Steinbrenner getting suspended for the Yankees to build that dynasty in the 90's. But ownership here for a variety of reasons is changing. Giving Douglas the power is a huge step in the right direction.

The Johnson's always seemed like nice people. Just bad at football decisions. So if they take themselves out of the mix, that could be enough to get it done. They just have to support Douglas and not get in his way.

Right.  But Douglas had to get here first to finally make ownership understand they need to take a giant step back.  That wasn't a Johnson-driven decision, really. 

I'm glad they're finally doing what needs to be done; let the football people take charge; but it took so long for this day to finally come because they made incompetent hire after incompetent hire for decades.  So I give a lot more credit to Douglas himself than the Johnson's on this.  And as bad as Gase was, he deserves a slight bit of gratitude for his impact on Maccagnan being fired and Douglas ending up here.  If not for Gase, Maccagnan may well still be around.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Right.  But Douglas had to get here first to finally make ownership understand they need to take a giant step back.  That wasn't a Johnson-driven decision, really. 

I'm glad they're finally doing what needs to be done; let the football people take charge; but it took so long for this day to finally come because they made incompetent hire after incompetent hire for decades.  So I give a lot more credit to Douglas himself than the Johnson's on this.  And as bad as Gase was, he deserves a slight bit of gratitude for his impact on Maccagnan being fired and Douglas ending up here.  If not for Gase, Maccagnan may well still be around.

Yeah we are on the same page I think. The Johnson's kind of backed into doing the right thing.  If Woody was already back he might have taken control and hired another committee.  Christopher Johnson has been dreading every day this year since he hears he hired Gase and how bad he messed up.

The Gase factor will forever be overlooked. But if he wasn't so bad and such a d-head things wouldn't have moved. I mean that in terms of the losing, that forced the firing but also with whatever he did behind the scenes in the organization. Basically getting Douglas here will be his legacy and hopefully it ends up being a good one.

• Upvote 1