Draft Strategies

BettyBoop

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

Let’s also recall, Drew Bees had a dislocated shoulder, a 360 degree tear of his labrum and 50% tear of his rotator cuff. Had it fixed and threw for over 42 miles. 

Zach hurt it years ago, hasn’t had an issue since and has an absolute cannon of an arm. 

Not concerned. 

Not saying he’s my pick but the arm isn’t an issue for me if he’s my pick. 

Exactly. 

QBs get labrum injuries, can live with the annoying pain or can fix it.  Not a shock

5 hours ago, Lith said:

Yeah, but the Hercules at QB guys are the ones that are in the playoffs every year: Brady, Brees, Wilson, Mahomes, Jackson, Roethlisberger, Rodgers.   Maybe Allen reaches that level over next few seasons (but I hope not). 

The game managers who can operate efficently tend to have 2-4 year windows until you can't keep the supporting cast together due to cap.  Either guy would be a big imrpovement over what we have, but I want a team that can compete for a decade, not a 2-4 year window.

I would agree with that. A guy like Jones makes sense depending on what’s needed. I liked him a lot more as 2nd rounder type possible contingency plan... but using a premium pick would be a tough sell unless you think he’s more than as you say, Game manager 

• Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, Philc1 said:

The 2 starting running backs in the super bowl what round were they drafted in?

This is an excellent point, because I know when I think about the Chiefs and Bucs and the reasons for their success, the running game is at the top of the list. And the fact that the 12th (Jones) and 19th (Edwards-Helaire) leading rushers this year were drafted in rounds 1 and 2 of the NFL draft is definitely making your argument stronger.

Oh, wait, you mean Leonard Fournette, drafted in the top 10, cut by the team that drafted him, and his "62nd in the NFL" accomplishment this year is definitely a strong argument for drafting a RB early. I mean let's be honest, where else but the 1st round can you find a back that totaled *checks stats* 397 yards at an awe inspiring 3.8 yards per carry? 

I wish I could say you should stop trolling, but the sad thing is I know you're serious

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

I would agree with that. A guy like Jones makes sense depending on what’s needed. I liked him a lot more as 2nd rounder type possible contingency plan... but using a premium pick would be a tough sell unless you think he’s more than as you say, Game manager 

Yup.  Sounds like we are on the same page.  Putting the Watson nonsense aside for a moment, I still like the idea of QB at 2.  But if the Jets braintrust is not sold on any of the options at 2, don't reach.  Trade back if possible, add picks and take a Jones type at 34 and suddenly keeping Sam for the upcoming season without extending him makes more sense.  Let him compete with Jones and a young vet FA in a true competition. 

I absolutely hate the idea of Sam being handed the starting role for a 4th season without any competition.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Lith said:

Yup.  Sounds like we are on the same page.  Putting the Watson nonsense aside for a moment, I still like the idea of QB at 2.  But if the Jets braintrust is not sold on any of the options at 2, trade back, add picks and take a Jones type at 34 and suddenly keeping Sam for the upcoming season without extending him makes more sense.  Let him compete with Jones and a young vet FA in a true competition. 

I absolutely hate the idea of Sam being handed the starting role for a 4th season without any competition.

I think it’s the predictability/consistency you get out of a guy like Mac Jones that has me attracted to rolling the dice with him. I feel like since Pennington wrecked his shoulders, we have have been plagued by QBs with totally erratic play. Most have been bad for stretches, but even when things were Ok, it was still a week to week “anybody’s guess” if you were getting jeckle or Hyde 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

This is an excellent point, because I know when I think about the Chiefs and Bucs and the reasons for their success, the running game is at the top of the list. And the fact that the 12th (Jones) and 19th (Edwards-Helaire) leading rushers this year were drafted in rounds 1 and 2 of the NFL draft is definitely making your argument stronger.

Oh, wait, you mean Leonard Fournette, drafted in the top 10, cut by the team that drafted him, and his "62nd in the NFL" accomplishment this year is definitely a strong argument for drafting a RB early. I mean let's be honest, where else but the 1st round can you find a back that totaled *checks stats* 397 yards at an awe inspiring 3.8 yards per carry? 

I wish I could say you should stop trolling, but the sad thing is I know you're serious

Plus CEH was hurt half the year and hasn't been a impact player since week 6 and was taken as a luxury to the best offense in football....such a lazy argument and I'm not even against taking a RB late 1 or in the 2nd.  The best argument for taking a RB in the first is if you keep Darnold and go all in on the offensive side of the ball to give him the best chance to succeed asap.

• Upvote 1