Draft Strategies

BettyBoop

Just now, RichardTodd27 said:

For me it was. Never quite the same post-surgery.

Wilson's shoulder combined with his slight frame makes me very nervous about selecting him at 2.

#TeamJustinFields

I’d happily take Fields at 2. I just find the injury discussion to be separate from evals. Wilson’s injury was from high school he got it fixed and 2 years later after 2 seasons of football no recurrence and more arm strength than ever.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I’d happily take Fields at 2. I just find the injury discussion to be separate from evals. Wilson’s injury was from high school he got it fixed and 2 years later after 2 seasons of football no recurrence and more arm strength than ever.

That's fair. But doesn't it bother you that he also tore the labrum in the other arm too? Lets be honest, there are certain players that are more prone to injuries than others, and that should be a major consideration as far as the evaluations.

Durability matters.

16 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

That's fair. But doesn't it bother you that he also tore the labrum in the other arm too? Lets be honest, there are certain players that are more prone to injuries than others, and that should be a major consideration as far as the evaluations.

Durability matters.

It doesn’t because there hasn’t been a recurrence. There’s been a year since his last injury and he’s taken shots since. All of his injuries occurred when he was probably 18/19 years old.

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

So I’m not fixated on drafting a quarterback at #2. I’m not ruling it out but it’s not a decision I feel forcing my hand. If they believe in fields,  OK. If it’s Mac Jones in a trade back, great. If it’s riding Darnold through the storm this fall, sure. Maybe we see to the quarterback situation next January through April. 

If they like Darnold enough to go into 2021 with him, I'm good with it.  

If not and they want to go in another direction then I draft one at 2.  If they have fallen in love with Fields, Wilson or even Trey they have to do it at 2.  Any drop down and they'd risk losing their guy.

<ac Jones reminds me of Daniel Jones

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

If they like Darnold enough to go into 2021 with him, I'm good with it.  

If not and they want to go in another direction then I draft one at 2.  If they have fallen in love with Fields, Wilson or even Trey they have to do it at 2.  Any drop down and they'd risk losing their guy.

<ac Jones reminds me of Daniel Jones

For sure. That’s a given. If you love one, you don’t Fck around for an extra pick... I’m speculating it’s possible they don’t love anyone that much 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Wilson had a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder 

you want to draft that at 2 with our luck?

I don’t think I’d use the two pick on any of the QBs prospects. As for Wilson’s torn labrum, it’s like any other college injury.  The kid is still young so maybe he grows out of it.  It may also be why fields or trask or Jones are better bets. We’ll see.

6 hours ago, Paradis said:

1 month ago, Mac was a mid rounder by the same ppl talking up Zach. Now it’s “where in the first does Mac go?”

He’ll never overtake Zach. I would hands down feel better knowing what I’m getting with Mac, than Wilson or even Fields. Different ceiling yes, but also different floors imo. 

Sarkisians offense is a bonus for Mac. Even though its heavy RPO its all traditional 1-4 progression reads.  He's more prepared in that sense going forward to go through full progressions than most players.  

I wouldnt take him over Zach personally, but I do think he goes mid to late first and he helped himself with his senior bowl

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Paradis said:

Chazz Surratt. LB, UNC ....I missed that you mentioned Sage. Spacing out. 

Sage is a good player too, but he was correct in his analysis that he's a similar style player to Mims.  I think we'll be drafting more slot type receivers in this draft than traditional X.  

Chazz is a horse of another color. Some risk attached to Chazz because he hasnt played the positon for a long time but his football intellect is off the charts (former QB in college before transitioning to backer), and he's extremely athletic. 

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Sarkisians offense is a bonus for Mac. Even though its heavy RPO its all traditional 1-4 progression reads.  He's more prepared in that sense going forward to go through full progressions than most players.  

I wouldnt take him over Zach personally, but I do think he goes mid to late first and he helped himself with his senior bowl

True but there’s something to be said about a guy like Jones who can operate an offense effectively and minimize mistakes. It’s under appreciated in today’s “Hercules at QB” era

5 hours ago, rangerous said:

I don’t think I’d use the two pick on any of the QBs prospects. As for Wilson’s torn labrum, it’s like any other college injury.  The kid is still young so maybe he grows out of it.  It may also be why fields or trask or Jones are better bets. We’ll see.

Fields is going to bust. Typical one read Ohio State guy.  Wilson with that injury history plus the fact that he got his stats playing against East Tampon State

and he’s not even a great athlete like Josh Allen.  Allen played crap competition too but his athleticism was off the charts and he had no serious injury history

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

And?

He never missed time with it, was one of those things players have fixed in the offseason.  Also it happened when he was tackled, not vis his throwing motion.  

In 2006 Drew Brees hurt his shoulder, a much worse injury.  The Fish turned down a trade because of it.  

In the late 1980's Favre hurt his shoulder and he dropped to the 2nd round because teams were afraid.

Worked out well.

14 hours ago, Paradis said:

For sure. That’s a given. If you love one, you don’t Fck around for an extra pick... I’m speculating it’s possible they don’t love anyone that much 

I cant get a feel for if they do or dont.

Problem is JD doesnt have a history, cant tell if whatever comes out of his mouth is smoke or clues into his thinking.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He never missed time with it, was one of those things players have fixed in the offseason.  Also it happened when he was tackled, not vis his throwing motion.  

In 2006 Drew Brees hurt his shoulder, a much worse injury.  The Fish turned down a trade because of it.  

In the late 1980's Favre hurt his shoulder and he dropped to the 2nd round because teams were afraid.

Worked out well.

Good thing he plays a sport where players don’t get tackled.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

Good thing he plays a sport where players don’t get tackled.  

And you dont see the difference between falling wrong or just throwing?

Its a labrum, not a rotator cuff or worse.  

He never missed time and it was injured 4 years ago.

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And you dont see the difference between falling wrong or just throwing?

Its a labrum, not a rotator cuff or worse.  

He never missed time and it was injured 4 years ago.

I was just replying to what you wrote.  I’m not his doctor, I really don’t know the depth of the injury.  You are right though, some guys do just have a single injury, and that’s it.  The problem is, some guys are just injury prone, or unlucky, and the injuries pile up.  The fact that he has had injuries in both labrums is worrisome though. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

I was just replying to what you wrote.  I’m not his doctor, I really don’t know the depth of the injury.  You are right though, some guys do just have a single injury, and that’s it.  The problem is, some guys are just injury prone, or unlucky, and the injuries pile up.  The fact that he has had injuries in both labrums is worrisome though. 

I agree.  Just that an injury sustained in HS, quick fix after his freshman year and nothing since doesnt indicate that he is.  I assume just about every player gets hurt over the course of 8 years 

8 hours ago, Paradis said:

True but there’s something to be said about a guy like Jones who can operate an offense effectively and minimize mistakes. It’s under appreciated in today’s “Hercules at QB” era

I agree with you. I starting really liking his game toward the end of the season. Everything I saw from him the playoffs and the championship game just reinforced it. Everyone is looking for the next guy like kyler, josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Watson. I grant you Mac Jones isn’t going to wow anyone with his athleticism but there is something to be said about a guy that is just efficient, doesn’t make mistakes, and consistently makes accurate throws/good decisions. 

Mac Jones would be the perfect belicheck pick, I’d have no problem taking him in the first or second, but not with our first pick. That pick is too valuable and needs to be either traded or used on a guy like Sewell or chase.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

I agree with you. I starting really liking his game toward the end of the season. Everything I saw from him the playoffs and the championship game just reinforced it. Everyone is looking for the next guy like kyler, josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Watson. I grant you Mac Jones isn’t going to wow anyone with his athleticism but there is something to be said about a guy that is just efficient, doesn’t make mistakes, and consistently makes accurate throws/good decisions. 

Mac Jones would be the perfect belicheck pick, I’d have no problem taking him in the first or second, but not with our first pick. That pick is too valuable and needs to be either traded or used on a guy like Sewell or chase.

I agree.  I think he is going to be drafted earlier than people think.  I could very well see him going to the Pats, or maybe Houston if they trade Watson.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Paradis said:

Agreed, I just think his potential is capped.  To me, there isnt a tremendous amount of upside in a guy like Mac Jones, where as the physical skill set of other QB's give them as you said a much higher ceiling albiet a lower floor.  Some team in the 20's i think will take him and sit him and he'll be a good QB down the road. 

He has a little better than average arm I'd say in terms of ball velocity, but he is good at layering the ball to different areas of the field and can throw with anticipation. Good footwork in the pocket, and an average at best athlete. its a lazy comparison because i havent had my coffee yet, but he is kind of reminds me of kirk cousins, or maybe a less athletic daniel jones. I think he can be a solid starter, I just think he may need more talent around him to succeed than other guys. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Paradis said:

Yeah, but the Hercules at QB guys are the ones that are in the playoffs every year: Brady, Brees, Wilson, Mahomes, Jackson, Roethlisberger, Rodgers.   Maybe Allen reaches that level over next few seasons (but I hope not). 

The game managers who can operate efficently tend to have 2-4 year windows until you can't keep the supporting cast together due to cap.  Either guy would be a big imrpovement over what we have, but I want a team that can compete for a decade, not a 2-4 year window.

Unless Douglas somehow manages to get Lattimore, I think there is no way he doesn’t spend one of his three first picks on a corner.  One of Farley, Surtain, Horn or Campbell will be a Jet.  And if Douglas trades for more picks, I expect another corner to be drafted.  The cupboard is bare.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I agree.  Just that an injury sustained in HS, quick fix after his freshman year and nothing since doesnt indicate that he is.  I assume just about every player gets hurt over the course of 8 years 

Let’s also recall, Drew Bees had a dislocated shoulder, a 360 degree tear of his labrum and 50% tear of his rotator cuff. Had it fixed and threw for over 42 miles. 

Zach hurt it years ago, hasn’t had an issue since and has an absolute cannon of an arm. 

Not concerned. 

Not saying he’s my pick but the arm isn’t an issue for me if he’s my pick. 

I am not sold on Wilson or Fields.  I read this article on Wilson https://walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/Some-Teams-Have-Makeup-Concerns-with-Zach-Wilson

Fields seemed inconsistent especially against Indiana and Northwestern.  The way he plays seems to be more susceptible to injury.

Injuries and character are a big issue with a QB and I do not feel good about the choices with the second pick.  There are two options I feel is good for the Jets.

1) Trade second pick plus other picks for Watson. 

2) Stay with Sam and trade second pick back 3-4 spots and get picks.  Then trade again for more picks,  We can fix this team in two years,  If Sam works out fine, but if not he can be reevaluated next off season which if according to plan the Jets will have a boat load of picks to fix either the QB or other areas that need addressing.