Draft Strategies

BettyBoop

I’m going under the assumption that Douglas does not trade for Watson.  The assumptions upon which this strategy is based is Douglas’s free agency haul includes:

• One WR like Juju or Corey Davis but not Allen Robinson.
  • Two OL including one stud like Thuney and one potential starter to replace Van Roten, (e.g., Linsley).
  • One Edge possibly Matt Judon or Bud Dupree.
  • One CB to compete for a starting job.  I don’t think Douglas will be willing to give up a top 100 draft pick to trade for Lattimore unless he trades out of #2.

Draft Strategy -I think a trade back is likely albeit not for the haul most posters are envisioning.  Possibly to Carolina for an extra second and third in 2021 and another pick in 2022.  Detroit is possible but only if they trade Stafford for an extra first and third.  Otherwise, they don’t have enough picks this year (5) to make a deal with Douglas.  Possibly Denver if Douglas has a bunch of guys in his 8 - 15 range.  For this purpose let’s say he trades with Carolina for #8, #39, #107 and a first in 2022.  (Please don’t argue this package.  it’s not the point of the post).

• First round: CB, WR/QB.
  • Second round: OL, OL/LB
  • Third round: RB, WR, TE
  • Fourth round: OL/LB

If Douglas is high on Mac Jones he could pull the trigger on him with his first pick.  Jones is shooting up draft boards based on his Senior Bowl performance.and will likely go top 15 possibly before Fields.  If he does take him that high this board will lose it’s collective minds, half with “what the hell did he do???” and the other half with “we found our Tom Brady!”.

A few guys to keep an eye on Day 3:

• Nico Collins, WR (if he lasts)
  • Quinn Mereinz, OG who is reminding people of small school stud Ali Marpet.
  • Shi Shuratt, WR
  • Aaron Robinson, CB
  • Ambry Thomas, CB
  • Michael Carter, RB
  • Khalil Herbert, RB

Bottom line is Douglas must to find a stud CB and OL in the first two rounds.  There are tons of talented WR to be had in the middle rounds.  I think he needs to double down on CB because they desperately need help (the entire group is a giant ?) and, unless he wrangles Lattimore away from the Saints, he’s not getting much help in free agency.

3 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

I’m going under the assumption that Douglas does not trade for Watson.  The assumptions upon which this strategy is based is Douglas’s free agency haul includes:

• Two OL including one stud like Thuney and one potential starter to replace Van Roten, like Linsley.
  • One CB to compete for a starting job.  I don’t think Douglas will be willing to give up a top 100 draft pick to trade for Lattimore unless he trades out of #2.

Draft Strategy -I think a trade back is likely albeit not for the haul most posters are envisioning.  Possibly to Carolina for an extra second and third in 2021 and another pick in 2022.  Detroit is possible but only if they trade Stafford for an extra first and third.  Otherwise, they don’t have enough picks this year (5) to make a deal with Douglas.  Possibly Denver if Douglas has a bunch of guys in his 8 - 15 range.  For this purpose let’s say he trades with Carolina for #8, #39, #107 and a first in 2022.  (Please don’t argue this package.  it’s not the point of the post).

If Douglas is high on Mac Jones he could pull the trigger on him with his first pick.  Jones is shooting up draft boards based on his Senior Bowl performance.and will likely go top 15 possibly before Fields.  If he does take him that high this board will lose it’s collective minds, half with “what the hell did he do” and the other half with “we found our Tom Brady”.

• Shi Shuratt, WR
  • Aaron Robinson, CB
  • Ambry Thomas, CB
  • Michael Carter, RB
  • Khalil Herbert, RB

Bottom line is Douglas must to find a stud CB and OL in the first two rounds.  There is tons of talented WR to be had in the middle rounds.  I think he needs to double down on CB because they desperately need help (the entire group is a giant ?) and, unless he wrangles Lattimore away from the Saints, he’s not getting much help in free agency.

Did you look at an article about the senior bowl and decide to start a thread about it?

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Did you look at an article about the senior bowl and decided to start a thread about it?

I read every article I found on the Senior Bowl.  It’s called research.  Yes, some guys move up based on the SB Week and of course I factored that in.  The only guy on my list I wasn’t familiar with or knew a lot about before this week is Mereinz.  I hadn’t even heard of Ali Marpet until his Senior Bowl week.

Mac Jones is playing lights out in Mobile proving he’s not just a product of a great team.  Funnily enough, Watson suffered the same fate by playing for a loaded Clemson team and then falling to the Texans.

• Upvote 1

Just now, BettyBoop said:

The only guy on my list I wasn’t familiar with or knew a lot about before this week is Mereinz.

8 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

• Two OL including one stud like Thuney and one potential starter to replace Van Roten, (e.g., Linsley).

If Douglas is high on Mac Jones he could pull the trigger on him with his first pick.  Jones is shooting up draft boards based on his Senior Bowl performance.and will likely go top 15 possibly before Fields.  If he does take him that high this board will lose it’s collective minds, half with “what the hell did he do???” and the other half with “we found our Tom Brady!”.

• Shi Shuratt, WR
  • Aaron Robinson, CB
  • Ambry Thomas, CB
  • Michael Carter, RB
  • Khalil Herbert, RB

Bottom line is Douglas must to find a stud CB and OL in the first two rounds.  There is tons of talented WR to be had in the middle rounds.  I think he needs to double down on CB because they desperately need help (the entire group is a giant ?) and, unless he wrangles Lattimore away from the Saints, he’s not getting much help in free agency.

So do you know a lot about Sage Surratt or Shi Smith?

• Sympathy 1

I view taking a QB at 2 to be in the above average ceiling and low floor range.

For various specific reason I view both keeping Sam and trading for DW to he higher/better on both ends of the range.  

In the immortal words of Bart Scott....can't wait (for draft day)

1 hour ago, BettyBoop said:

• Shi Shuratt, WR
  • Aaron Robinson, CB
  • Ambry Thomas, CB
  • Michael Carter, RB
  • Khalil Herbert, RB

Bottom line is Douglas must to find a stud CB and OL in the first two rounds.  There are tons of talented WR to be had in the middle rounds.  I think he needs to double down on CB because they desperately need help (the entire group is a giant ?) and, unless he wrangles Lattimore away from the Saints, he’s not getting much help in free agency.

giphy.gif

Just now, Paradis said:

Should be Surratt. Chrebetfan80 was just talking to me about what a value pick he could be in that middle to late zone. This would be a smart play for JD 

I don’t buy the Surratt hype. He gets no separation and no YAC. Good at the catch point but we have Mims for that and honestly I’d love a guy that makes space and abuses player in their space.

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

You sure? The internet is trending towards Zach Wilson being tier 2 by himself. 

1 month ago, Mac was a mid rounder by the same ppl talking up Zach. Now it’s “where in the first does Mac go?”

He’ll never overtake Zach. I would hands down feel better knowing what I’m getting with Mac, than Wilson or even Fields. Different ceiling yes, but also different floors imo. 

4 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I don’t buy the Surratt hype. He gets no separation and no YAC. Good at the catch point but we have Mims for that and honestly I’d love a guy that makes space and abuses player in their space.

Chazz Surratt. LB, UNC ....I missed that you mentioned Sage. Spacing out. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

1 month ago, Mac was a mid rounder by the same ppl talking up Zach. Now it’s “where in the first does Mac go?”

He’ll never overtake Zach. I would hands down feel better knowing what I’m getting with Mac, than Wilson or even Fields. Different ceiling yes, but also different floors imo. 

Depends. If we were picking 10-20 I’d take Mac and not even question it. He’s a great option for teams like the Colts, Saints, Steelers, Rams, Pats or even the Panthers. At 2, it’s Wilson and the upside as a difference maker. 

TBH Wilson, Fields, Jones, Lance ensure that I’m not stuck watching Darnold anymore and I’m happy with any of them.

6 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Depends. If we were picking 10-20 I’d take Mac and not even question it. He’s a great option for teams like the Colts, Saints, Steelers, Rams, Pats or even the Panthers. At 2, it’s Wilson and the upside as a difference maker. 

TBH Wilson, Fields, Jones, Lance ensure that I’m not stuck watching Darnold anymore and I’m happy with any of them.

i’m looking at this next 16 months as one long off-season. January 2021 to draft day in April 2022. This roster is in such poor shape, that this next upcoming season is really just one long training camp.

So I’m not fixated on drafting a quarterback at #2. I’m not ruling it out but it’s not a decision I feel forcing my hand. If they believe in fields,  OK. If it’s Mac Jones in a trade back, great. If it’s riding Darnold through the storm this fall, sure. Maybe we see to the quarterback situation next January through April. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

i’m looking at this next 16 months as one long off-season. January 2021 to draft day in April 2022. This roster is in such poor shape, that this next upcoming season is really just one long training camp.

So I’m not fixated on drafting a quarterback at #2. I’m not ruling it out but it’s not a decision I feel forcing my hand. If they believe in fields,  OK. If it’s Mac Jones in a trade back, great. If it’s riding Darnold through the storm this fall, sure. Maybe we see to the quarterback situation next January through April. 

See this is where I disagree. This is the turnaround season for me. Let’s get results and let’s be drastic. Spend money, take swings. Wilson and Fields have the upside, we have the draft assets and money to give them a team. I’m sick of the 34th ranked QB in the league.

• Sympathy 1