Analyst on YouTube has Zach Wilson above Trevor Lawrence

GreekJet

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

The thing about Jones is he had really easy throwing to smith and waddle.  Smith is a football vacuum cleaner.  Of course he did beat the much vaunted Osu defense.

Mac Jones evaluation is really hard for me.  That offense was just flat out loaded, like I think they legitimately could score 20-25 points on an NFL defense.  This was the same issue last year, with Tua, where the stats look amazing.  Tua had 4 receivers that may go in the first half of the first round within 2 years, plus a borderline first round RB that is probably RB1 in the draft, and a stud OL.  I can see Jones mocked anywhere in the first because that one is so complicated.  

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

But he put the ball where it needed to be.  If you watch the Bama games to see smith and harris and waddle etc play and you notice jones puts it here it needs to be the vast majority of the time.  He has a nice touch on passes to backs and short throws, can make most long throws and though not super mobile is mobile enough in the pocket and has good pocket presence.

i would love to see him zip it in once and a while.  i think it would be great for the jets to have a bama starting qb again.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, maury77 said:

I'm going to sit down with a beer for this one. 

I finally got around to watching it.  First of all, we knew the results were going to be great because it's the 6TD game.  

What I noticed:

- He absolutely goes through his progression, this wasn't a one read and chuck offense

- His ability to escape pressure is great, which is a major advantage.  It reminds me a bit of Russel Wilson, who just can seem to always make the first guy miss.  

- Deep ball accuracy is absolutely impressive

- His processing speed is fast, but it does need to improve a bit.  However this is true for any QB coming out of college. 

- In the same vein (as with any other college QB) he needs make more anticipatory throws, rather than waiting for confirmation.  

- He has a good understanding of defensive shells.  

At this point, I have no idea how Fields isn't the No. 2 QB picked.  I'd love to see the All22 for Coastal Carolina from Wilson.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, win4ever said:

I finally got around to watching it.  First of all, we knew the results were going to be great because it's the 6TD game.  

What I noticed:

- He absolutely goes through his progression, this wasn't a one read and chuck offense

- His ability to escape pressure is great, which is a major advantage.  It reminds me a bit of Russel Wilson, who just can seem to always make the first guy miss.  

- Deep ball accuracy is absolutely impressive

- His processing speed is fast, but it does need to improve a bit.  However this is true for any QB coming out of college. 

- In the same vein (as with any other college QB) he needs make more anticipatory throws, rather than waiting for confirmation.  

- He has a good understanding of defensive shells.  

At this point, I have no idea how Fields isn't the No. 2 QB picked.  I'd love to see the All22 for Coastal Carolina from Wilson.

This is the comparison I continue to make, when I watch him play, I see a bigger faster more athletic, Russell Wilson.

The thing that stands out to me the most, in addition to everything you pointed how is how quite his feet are, especially in comparison to Wilson.  His motion in the pocket is silky smooth, so under command and always under control, it's really text book and he's shown a variety of drop backs and every time time, his foot work is tremendous.  And while I know everyone loves that Wilson can throw off platform, so can Feilds, the kid was a high level SS prospect coming out of High School.  In fact, when he transferred to OSU, there was talks he might get back on the diamond.  And there is a nice trend of pro-caliber baseball player who chose QB balling out in the NFL;  Wilson, Mahomes, Murrary just to name a few, not that it means anything but a little ironic nonetheless.

• Upvote 2

This is the comparison I continue to make, when I watch him play, I see a bigger faster more athletic, Russell Wilson.
The thing that stands out to me the most, in addition to everything you pointed how is how quite his feet are, especially in comparison to Wilson.  His motion in the pocket is silky smooth, so under command and always under control, it's really text book and he's shown a variety of drop backs and every time time, his foot work is tremendous.  And while I know everyone loves that Wilson can throw off platform, so can Feilds, the kid was a high level SS prospect coming out of High School.  In fact, when he transferred to OSU, there was talks he might get back on the diamond.  And there is a nice trend of pro-caliber baseball player who chose QB balling out in the NFL;  Wilson, Mahomes, Murrary just to name a few, not that it means anything but a little ironic nonetheless.

The Wilson comparison comes up for me as well, quite a bit.

- Transitioned from Big10 to NFL, albeit Wilson was only there for a year

- Just have that innate ability to avoid the first rusher

- Accuracy to all parts of the field

- Has a high trajectory on passes, which I think is an exceptional trait in QBs. In scouting receivers, most teams look for guys that stack their defenders, and a QB having the ability to be accurate while being able to drop it in over the CB is crucial.

- Instant leader. Wilson transferred from NC State and stories say he was instantly the leader at Wisconsin. Fields transferred from UGA and became the leader (idk how much by default of being the QB), but it told me something when he was out there throwing passes after his injury.

- The ability to be mobile adds suck a different element to the game now. We see more missed sacks because the defense has to be careful with the QB, so a guy that can evade rushers goes a long way. While this doesn't relate to Wilson as much, having the ability to be a running threat throws a whole new wrench into the Shanahan system.

Unrelated:

Wilson struggling against Power 5 teams doesn't help.

Greg Cosell on the top Quarterbacks. He's my go to guy to when it comes to the NFL draft, especially for Qb's. 

Ross Tucker & Greg Cosell preview the top six quarterbacks heading into the NFL Draft including: - Trevor Lawrence: Clemson (8:58) - Zach Wilson: BYU (12:14) - Justin Fields: Ohio State (14:20) - Trey Lance: North Dakota State (16:05) - Mac Jones: Alabama (18:23) - Kyle Trask: Florida (21:14)

• Upvote 1

On 2/25/2021 at 2:01 AM, Dinamite said:

In a way, we are lucky there at least a couple of potentially good qb prospects to pick from.   Sure, we can have preferences, but there are good options regardless.  Imagine if it was a year like 2019, with Daniel Jones, Haskins, Love and Lock as top qbs?

Sorry to break it to you but other than Lawrence this is a similar year