Newbie to Scotch/Whiskey

CajunJet

So all this talk has me with a Scotch in my hands.  BUT...  a great friend bought me Dewars 12 knowing I drink Dewars.  Strange but I’ll drink it but not a fan. I want Dewars White label.  BUT.....  I’ll drink it.  Cheers everyone.   

Putting the kids to bed then I’ll be sitting with my Dewars White Label!! Definitely warming up to it... I enjoy it now.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Because we're all Jets fans, there is a bourbon you should know about.

Noah's Mill.  It's a small batch distillery.  Very good.

Skip to main content Skip to footer Search My Location Sacramento (Arden),  CA My Location Sacramento (Arden), CA Wine Spirits Beer & Seltzer  Accessories & More Deals Sign inCreate Account Home \ Spirits \ Bourbon \  Small Batch Bourbon \ Noahs Mill ...

But the reason it's important is for Sundays after the games.

image.png

This is strong stuff and will kick your face in.  Still really good though.  For comparison, most bourbons are in the mid-40s alc./vol.

• Upvote 1

So, after failing to find any of your Scotch recommendations... here’s what I came up with;

IMG_3444.JPG

Frustrating part... while I was at the cash paying, I noticed a little Scotch corner, that was away from all the other Scotch’s, which had your recommendations. Now I’ll know for next time but til’ then... can’t wait to try my first Bourbon and Canadian Rye Whiskey.

Your $60-65 bottles in the US are $99 here!

Enjoy your weekend! Cheers!

• Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, CajunJet said:

So, after failing to find any of your Scotch recommendations... here’s what I came up with;

IMG_3444.JPG

Frustrating part... while I was at the cash paying, I noticed a little Scotch corner, that was away from all the other Scotch’s, which had your recommendations. Now I’ll know for next time but til’ then... can’t wait to try my first Bourbon and Canadian Rye Whiskey.

Atta boy!

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

Because we're all Jets fans, there is a bourbon you should know about.

Noah's Mill.  It's a small batch distillery.  Very good.

Skip to main content Skip to footer Search My Location Sacramento (Arden),  CA My Location Sacramento (Arden), CA Wine Spirits Beer & Seltzer  Accessories & More Deals Sign inCreate Account Home \ Spirits \ Bourbon \  Small Batch Bourbon \ Noahs Mill ...

But the reason it's important is for Sundays after the games.

image.png

This is strong stuff and will kick your face in.  Still really good though.  For comparison, most bourbons are in the mid-40s alc./vol.

Yes, got this one few years back for my birthday. Great, albeit strong flavor but damn son, it will wreck you. Tough to find though. 

88DF1CCF-5DC9-4E54-A367-29AAB8435994.png

• Sympathy 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone looking to explore top shelf Scotch would do well to try the Dalmore as a stepping stone. Can’t say enough about it. 

Related; finally got around to trying Glenlivet’s 14 yr with a cognac cask finish. I’m bigger Cognac guy so I was curious, and as expected it was tasty and smooth but sort of clumsy at the same time. No depth. 

On 2/27/2021 at 3:44 PM, CajunJet said:

IMG_3444.JPG

Jameson makes a nice Irish coffee .

2 hours ago, BP said:

@Warfish no tariffs on UK scotch for the next four months. Stock up..welll you sound like you already have eleventy billion gallons aging in your scotch cellar.

Yup, was glad to hear that.  Scotch is already exceedingly overpriced, tbqh, so added tariff costs on top of that is a bit much.

With that said, I live in a alcohol control State, and in a region of that State that already pays an extra 20% tax on top of the normal 6% State tax on alcohol, so I'm pretty much hosed regardless, price-wise.  Such is life.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Yup, was glad to hear that.  Scotch is already exceedingly overpriced, tbqh, so added tariff costs on top of that is a bit much.

With that said, I live in a alcohol control State, and in a region of that State that already pays an extra 20% tax on top of the normal 6% State tax on alcohol, so I'm pretty much hosed regardless, price-wise.  Such is life.

Before the tariffs I could get a bottle of 12 year old glenlivet for $40.00. Now it’s around $47.00. Gordon (Scottish Jet on JI) gave me an open invitation to go visit him and check out all the distillery’s. The scotch tasting tours always get me ****ed up lol but that would be worth it.

• Sympathy 1

• 4 weeks later...

I am a Bourbon and Rye drinker looking to get more into Scotch. Some excellent suggestions in this thread. Tried several from the Speyside and Highland regions and really want to have a go at some more Peaty, Smokey Islay Scotch’s.

Looking at starting with Coal ILa 12 to get my feet wet to start then moving to Ardbeg and some Lagavulin 16 and so on. Really interested in Talisker also. Need to spend some time tasting before I buy. 

15 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

I am a Bourbon and Rye drinker looking to get more into Scotch. Some excellent suggestions in this thread. Tried several from the Speyside and Highland regions and really want to have a go at some more Peaty, Smokey Islay Scotch’s.

Looking at starting with Coal ILa 12 to get my feet wet to start then moving to Ardbeg and some Lagavulin 16 and so on. Really interested in Talisker also. Need to spend some time tasting before I buy. 

Had some Talisker 25 last night at a buddy's house, his 1Q reward from work.

Not a fan of the peaty smoky scotchs.  I stick to Balvenie, MacCallan, Dalmore and for a blend Monkey Shoulder.

Someone once bought me a dram of Laphroig at a steakhouse in NYC and I couldn't even get it up to my nose.

Question for the board--does England have a whiskey? I've had scotch, Irish whiskey, Canadian whiskey, all types of bourbon and American whiskeys.

England?  I know about their affinity for Gin although I'm assuming yes but does it taste more like scotch or Irish whiskey?  Never seen it in stores.

51 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Had some Talisker 25 last night at a buddy's house, his 1Q reward from work.

Not a fan of the peaty smoky scotchs.  I stick to Balvenie, MacCallan, Dalmore and for a blend Monkey Shoulder.

Someone once bought me a dram of Laphroig at a steakhouse in NYC and I couldn't even get it up to my nose.

Question for the board--does England have a whiskey? I've had scotch, Irish whiskey, Canadian whiskey, all types of bourbon and American whiskeys.

England?  I know about their affinity for Gin although I'm assuming yes but does it taste more like scotch or Irish whiskey?  Never seen it in stores.

That’s a nice reward. All great Scotch’s, I really like the Balvenie and the Dalmore 12. I have to get out and start trying some more Scotch’s. The Laphroaig is a strong starting point as far as Peat and smoke go in my opinion. The Coal Ila 12 may be a good intro if you care to get into Peaty smoke types. My palate will hate something  one day and a few days later I can’t stop drinking it.