Jets work out WR Tavon Austin

2 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

No idea why he would be brought in.

Maybe he's there for camp to just show Berrios, 'hey, it's OK to return a punt"

He was in camp with SF last year but ended up hurt at the end of camp and released off IR.  Even if they have no intent to sign him, it is good to have guys around that have some familiarity with the system (or at least a similar system).  If you need to sign a guy last to fill in, you probably want a vet and one that has some idea what you are trying to do.  If you don't think that is important, remember some of the guys we trotted out last year. 

12 hours ago, clayton163v said:

I have been wondering about this.

It will be interesting to see how they decide to run it.  Especially in how they use Corey Davis.  I could see us put in a three wide receiver alignment and then put Davis into an H-back role while splitting the other receivers out wide in addition to simply putting a receiver in the slot.  If Carter is also in the game, then we could run it or put him on the line of scrimmage in a bunch formation.  Davis is such a strong blocker he offers the versatility to do things like that.  It is part of what makes him such an attractive player.  But I still expect Lafleur to use formations that offer the ability to run or pass to keep the regular defense on the field or to permit us to run at nickel defenses with power.  Nor do such formations foreclose spreading out the running game which is a staple of zone blocking schemes.

I saw the signing of Kroft - who is a decent blocking tight end - as a sign that the Jets intend to use a lot of two tight end sets.  Not to mention that solid blocking is what keeps Herndon as our #1.  Then there is Wilson.  According to Ourlads, in college Wilson relied on his tight ends as safety valves.  I see them trying to adapt some of what Wilson already does well.  After all, he is going to have to adjust to taking snaps under center since the west coast offense thrives on play action.   Like Sam Darnold, Wilson mostly played in the shotgun in college.    While I would like to believe that Wesco will be focal point of the offense as a fullback/H-back, I kind of doubt it at this point in his career.  But you never know.  We did use him as the fullback last season to the extent we used one. 

The Jets just have so much more talent at WR now than at TE, and it’s really not close. I just can’t see them taking Crowder and either Mims or Moore off the field for the versatility that having Herndon and Wesco on the field at the same time would allegedly bring. The Jets are actually five deep at WR right now with NFL caliber players for the first time in a very long time. I expect three and four WR sets to dominate their packages. I’d think 11 personnel would be their base. With a guy like Moore in the slot, he’s still a threat to run the ball or run a route. They can run from the shotgun. 

Good coaches make the best use of the players they have, rather than trying to fit misfit players into their rigid systems. And I’m really hoping we have good coaches now. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, slats said:

The Jets just have so much more talent at WR now than at TE, and it’s really not close. I just can’t see them taking Crowder and either Mims or Moore off the field for the versatility that having Herndon and Wesco on the field at the same time would allegedly bring. The Jets are actually five deep at WR right now with NFL caliber players for the first time in a very long time. I expect three and four WR sets to dominate their packages. I’d think 11 personnel would be their base. With a guy like Moore in the slot, he’s still a threat to run the ball or run a route. They can run from the shotgun. 

Good coaches make the best use of the players they have, rather than trying to fit misfit players into their rigid systems. And I’m really hoping we have good coaches now. 

For that reason, I think Yeboah has a really good chance to win the starting job at TE, as he is a better and more willing blocker than Herndon and may be just as good if not better as a receiver.    Yeboah is their guy as Herndon was drafted by the previous regime and lets face it, has not exactly set the league on fire the last two years, after a promising rookie season.  He really has a lot to prove.  Also with the type of receivers we have in terms of Mims, Davis and Cole, they are all good blockers who take pride in that part of their game.  

3 hours ago, slats said:

I agree.  But that does not mean that Lafleur will abandon the dual looks that keeps defenses guessing just to use three wide receivers.  Moreover, this year's acquisitions have made such chameleon formations possible even with three wide receivers on the field.  Davis - as I alluded - can line up as an H-back and do it credibly.  Is he ideal?  No.  But he is a threat as a blocker in side.  Especially on the move against a player who was expecting pass and is not suited for a running play because he is part of the nickel package.   Moore can also help us.  He is capable of suddenly leaving the slot and lining up in the backfield and taking the pitch or handoff.   And he has the wheels to make it to any spot in the formation.  Carter is an excellent pass receiver and can allow us to suddenly move into a three wide passing formation.  All of these players offer the potential to help us run it when the defense sees pass and to pass it when the defense sees run, including through the use of play action.   Through the use of pre-snap motion, all of this is possible and the players are decent fits for these hybrid roles.

This is a developing theme for Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh.  The glass half-empty way of looking at it is we are playing tweeners and will regret it.  The glass half-full way of looking at it is we are acquiring personnel who are good fits for their role but are also VERSATILE.  This versatility allows them to do a different job and do it well enough that they can execute the play against defensive personnel that is lined up and staffed to defend a different alignment. 

This versatility is a hallmark of the players we have been acquiring.  Whether it is this year's Feeney who is a center/guard or last year's McGovern C/G or Clark who is a OT/G.  This sort of versatility is starting to crop up all over the team.  Davis is a wideout whose blocking skills offer tantalizing possibilities out of what appears to be a three wide alignment.  Moore and Carter are both good at their jobs, but can also switch positions in an instant and defenses will learn to respect it.  Cole and Mims - like Davis - are not limited to the slot, X or Z.  They too offer versatility.

On defense this versatility is so obvious it is startling.  With only a few exceptions - pass rushers Curry and Lawson - our defensive lineman can play inside or out.  Our ability to shuffle the deck with Quinnen as the chess piece will keep him popping up where he is not expected.  We can do this because Phillips, Rankins and Zuniga can play inside or out.  Our linebackers, safeties and even our corners can line up in multiple spots in the formation and offer the ability to get the job done while disguising what the team is trying to do on a given play.  Just because certain players are in the game does not mean that the opponent can discern what we intend to do.  Is is a nickel formation?  It is standard 4-3-4?  Is it a dime?  Just because we line that personnel up in a given formation does not mean that the opponent can guess what they will do post-snap.  It is this sort of neither this nor that that is so different about the team that Douglas and Saleh have assembled.   I do not know if it is going to work, but it is tantalizing and it is a theme.   

I do take issue with one part of your post.  Where you say we can "run from the shotgun".  We ran the read option with Sam a great deal and he was a terrible fit for it.  To make the read option work the QB must offer the versatility to be able to credibly run the ball.  Sam could not offer that.  Neither can Wilson.  They just are not running quarterbacks.  If I never see the damned shotgun or read option again I will be thrilled.   Both scream to the defense what we are doing.  No disguise.  It did not work with Sam and it will not work with Wilson.  We need to take snaps under center and use play action or we surrender the most dangerous part of a west coast offense.  

On 5/12/2021 at 1:37 PM, jetsons said:

He's familiar with the system & can help the young guys grasp it.

Tavon is a gadget type player that can be a depth piece for Moore and MC1.  Both of those players will be utilized in gadget play situations.  Tavon can fill that roll too.