LaFleur says he believes that, “Knapper’s going to live on in this quarterback room”

First let me say what happened is a tragedy.  For the guy to die the way he did is just horrible. What I find incredible is how people seem to think this is going to be bad for Wilson. I mean who did this team hire to help Darnold and everyone seemed to think Darnold just sucked anyway. If Wilson has the goods, he will overcome the loss of Knapp. 

12 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

First let me say what happened is a tragedy.  For the guy to die the way he did is just horrible. What I find incredible is how people seem to think this is going to be bad for Wilson. I mean who did this team hire to help Darnold and everyone seemed to think Darnold just sucked anyway. If Wilson has the goods, he will overcome the loss of Knapp. 

I don't know.  They like to talk about Wilson burning coaches out.  Was he talking to Knapp? 

I'm sure everyone Knapp knew is affected, but Wilson's development isn't dependant on one coach.  The early interviews made it sound like Knapp was already a big deal to Wilson, but I'm not sure what the day-to-day looked like. 

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Great point. The thing with Knapp is he knew how to get the best out of his players by understanding their skill set an applying it to their game plan. Knapp was excited to coach Wilson . It’s not that Wilson doesn’t have the potential but Greg Knapp would have helped tremendously, in my opinion. 

I still have faith in Wilson as our CS is less experienced without Knapp. He would have been key in assisting our first year NFL QB coach and OC.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Action Zachtion said:

I don't know.  They like to talk about Wilson burning coaches out.  Was he talking to Knapp? 

I'm sure everyone Knapp knew is affected, but Wilson's development isn't dependant on one coach.  The early interviews made it sound like Knapp was already a big deal to Wilson, but I'm not sure what the day-to-day looked like. 

It was the Steve Young Gregg Knapp connection that made Zach comfortable from what I took away from the process of drafting Wilson as we know his parents initially were not to happy with him becoming a Jet.  That is where  where Young and Knapp stepped in to the process. 

I think the burning coaches out was in relation to his film study work ethic.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

It was the Steve Young Gregg Knapp connection that made Zach comfortable from what I took away from the process of drafting Wilson as we know his parents initially were not to happy with him becoming a Jet.  That is where  where Young and Knapp stepped in to the process. 

I think the burning coaches out was in relation to his film study work ethic.

Yeah I worded it poorly. 

When he had someone he wanted to talk with, was it Knapp?  If so, I imagine the impact is larger. 

3 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Just a thought...

I know it is in vogue to say the performer or athlete "A" would be great no matter what, and I for one don't buy it!

Look at Ali, the greatest boxer of his generation, he  had Angelo Dundee in his corner and trust me Dundee wasn't getting 10% of Ali's purses because he had nice teeth.....SMILES

It is simple:

Causes plus Conditions = Outcomes in life........

And no single cause alone can produce anything .........Nothing....

And this goes for planting an apple seed so it can become a tree or a person becoming the best at something.

At the end of the day...we always grow and thrive in relationship.....  And that is something I believe that Coach Knapp truly understood...

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Just a thought...

I know it is in vogue to say the performer or athlete "A" would be great no matter what, and I for one don't buy it!

Look at Ali, the greatest boxer of his generation, he  had Angelo Dundee in his corner and trust me Dundee wasn't getting 10% of Ali's purses because he had nice teeth.....SMILES

It is simple:

Causes plus Conditions = Outcomes in life........

And no single cause alone can produce anything .........Nothing....

And this goes for planting an apple seed so it can become a tree or a person becoming the best at something.

At the end of the day...we always grow and thrive in relationship.....  And that is something I believe that Coach Knapp truly understood...

I get what you are saying but to your point, Ali would have been a great fighter with or without Dundee. His talent was that great. Maybe it takes him another year, maybe two to become the greatest  the sport has ever seen but he gets there.

It will be the same for Zack. The cream rises to the top.

• Upvote 2

I think from a football standpoint Zach will be fine. I hope that the Jets will honor Coach Knapp’s memory by using his teachings and doing everything they can to be successful this year. His loss from a human standpoint, however, will take time to get over. He was  by all accounts,  a great man. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

This truly sucks man....Knapp was one of my fav hires when Saleh started to assemble his staff. Was excited to see what he could do with Zach and the offense....life is so fragile man....throwing football to the side, I really feel for his family to have to go through this....my deepest condolences to them ??

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

12 hours ago, Action Zachtion said:

Yeah I worded it poorly. 

When he had someone he wanted to talk with, was it Knapp?  If so, I imagine the impact is larger. 

Good question,  I don’t have the answer to that just pure speculation. I would guess Knapp and LaFleur, most of times I saw Zach on the field Knapp was right there along with LaFleur.

• Upvote 2