Your worst JN takes....

AFJF

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Honestly, my worst take after living outside NY for 20+ years will always be, “Well, you have to root for the teams you picked as a kid.”

OMG this, so very much this.

Over 35 years away from NY for me at this point. 

3 times as long as I actually lived in NY as a little kid.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He didn’t even trade up for Sam, though. He traded up for whichever QB was left to him by two other teams. (Some like to pretend he knew the Giants weren’t taking a QB, but he admitted himself he didn’t know until the Barkley pick was announced, let alone the nonsense that he 100% knew who the Giants were taking, and knew it 6 weeks before the draft). Just like Bradway trading up to #4 for Robertson before knowing who’d be there (at least Bradway’s gamble was only like a day in advance, not well over a month). It’s only fitting that both GMs got the player they truly wanted, and both were major letdowns. :bag: 

The part that makes it scary instead of sad is that i think they admitted they would have taken Rosen over Allen.  Yikes. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Honestly, my worst take after living outside NY for 20+ years will always be, “Well, you have to root for the teams you picked as a kid.”

If I rooted for the first team I liked I may well have ended up a Denver Broncos fan.  The John Elway helicopter play, Terrell Davis, and the touchdown "salutes" nearly reeled me in.  

But then I started going to Jets games in '98, including the playoff win over Jacksonville, and it was all over.  Dammit.

• Haha 1

I thought Bryce Petty was going to be The Man. Even named my puppy after him. 

To be fair I also thought Troy Taylor, Browning Nagle, Chad Pennington, Brett Ratliff, Tahj Boyd, Mark Sanchez and Sam Darnold we’re going to be The Man. 

I don’t want to jinx it but this time I am certain. 

So I won’t. But he is. 

POSSIBLY. 

• Upvote 2

I've pretty much hated or at least had deep-seated suspicions about everyone the Jets have hired for coach and GM and every personnel move they've made in my 45+ years as a Jets fan, and I've pretty much been right in feeling that way. So I don't know if it's that I'm a super perceptive person or a super negative person who coincidentally roots for a never-ending-train-wreck of an organization. 

This leaves me in a peculiar place going into the 2021 season. I've never had positive vibes about the Jets like I've had since Saleh and Wilson got here. It's an unfamiliar feeling and kind of creepy actually. 

• Upvote 2

-Believed after his first two seasons that Sanchez would continue to develop into a mid-tier starting QB.

-Jets should've made a play for Nnamdi Asomugha.

-Really wanted Tavon Austin to fall to Jets. We got Dee Milliner instead, groan.

-Michael Vick would be an upgrade over Geno. They both sucked.

-Didn't want Rex fired... not like what we have had since has been better... hopefully that's about to change.

-Darnold falling to Macc was a "blind squirrel finding a nut" situation.

-Gase would be good for Darnold since he developed Tannehill. Now I'm fully on board that coaching can enhance FQBs but not create them (corollary: they can't "ruin" them, either). These guys either have it or they don't and it's apparent quite quickly.

-Le'Veon Bell would relieve pressure on Darnold by giving him a safety valve out of the backfield.

• Upvote 1

On 9/7/2021 at 8:47 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  Maccagnan flew out to California for Rosen's Pro Day.  It would have been a lock.  

Ya at the time I was convinced that Rosen and Bowles could never co-exist (they probably couldn't) and that would likely result in Macc going a different direction. But after the draft I have accepted that the evidence is conclusive that Rosen was a lock there.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

-Believed after his first two seasons that Sanchez would continue to develop into a mid-tier starting QB.

-Jets should've made a play for Nnamdi Asomugha.

-Really wanted Tavon Austin to fall to Jets. We got Dee Milliner instead, groan.

-Michael Vick would be an upgrade over Geno. They both sucked.

-Darnold falling to Macc was a "blind squirrel finding a nut" situation.

-Gase would be good for Darnold since he developed Tannehill. Now I'm fully on board with coaching can enhance FQBs but not create them (corollary: they can't "ruin" them, either).

-Le'Veon Bell would relieve pressure on Darnold by giving him a safety valve out of the backfield.

You’re forgetting being pissed we didn’t hang  onto Percy Harvin for another $11MM, and trade away a 4th instead of a 6th for the privilege.

We all have had whiffs, though. ;) 

• Thumb Down 1

15 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You’re forgetting being pissed we didn’t hang  onto Percy Harvin for another $11MM, and trade away a 4th instead of a 6th for the privilege.

We all have had whiffs, though. ;) 

Honestly do not remember that at all. I do remember I had just traded Drew Brees for Harvin in my dynasty league and 30 minutes later the news broke that he had been traded to the Jets and I was inconsolable.

PS: the list wasn't meant to be exclusive was just top of mind. Maybe if I can carve out 1,000 hours I can trawl your post history for the things you've forgotten.

Jeeze this place sometimes. List like 10 whiffs, but let's throw one you forgot in your face and question your integrity.

44 minutes ago, jgb said:

Honestly do not remember that at all. I do remember I had just traded Drew Brees for Harvin in my dynasty league and 30 minutes later the news broke that he had been traded to the Jets and I was inconsolable.

PS: the list wasn't meant to be exclusive was just top of mind. Maybe if I can carve out 1,000 hours I can trawl your post history for the things you've forgotten.

Jeeze this place sometimes. List like 10 whiffs, but let's throw one you forgot in your face and question your integrity.

This thread just opened up old wounds, and triggered me.

You were very pissy with me at the time. I've got scars, man. Scars.

Conversely, I've never been pissy with anyone, ever, so I get to stand on my soapbox with my fingers in my ears.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This thread just opened up old wounds, and triggered me.

You were very pissy with me at the time. I've got scars, man. Scars.

Conversely, I've never been pissy with anyone, ever, so I get to stand on my soapbox with my fingers in my ears.

This reminds me of a Geraldo episode in the 80s where middle-aged people confront their high school bullies. They bring the former bullies on under false pretenses for the big reveal. In all cases the big bad bullies -- now with families, jobs, lives -- are like "Sorry about that. I was a dumb kid and hadn't thought about it for years" while the "victims" have ruined their lives obsessing over the past for decades. :) 

• Haha 1