Way Too Soon 2022 Offseason

Doggin94it

It's early days. But here's a look at what our top priorities should be after the season:

1) Extend/Resign Jonathon Franklin-Myers. JFM has been terrific for us for the past year-plus, and with the uncertainties surrounding Lawson's recovery a DE rotation of Lawson-JFM-Huff is anywhere from terrifyingly good to good enough (if Lawson comes back as a backup). Fits the system, good dude, and if Lawson is fully healthy could even slide inside for the NASCAR look on long passing downs. Top priority

2) Extend Quinnen Williams. Now is the time. Leverage the last year of his contract (currently 5.13M) and buy out his option year (~10.3M) and first franchise tag year (~17M) = 32.43/3.  Do a 5 year extension for 95M (19M/per, a discount against what he could expect on the open market in 3 years) and shift a huge chunk of that money up to next season (as signing bonus). He ends up signed through his age 30 season for 6 years, 100M (16.6M per). It's a win-win deal, because 16.6M per is a discount to the Jets long term, while he gets his money 3 years sooner (present value bump is huge) and would need to get 68.3M over the first 3 years of his next deal (23M per) to end up with the same 6-year cash flows.

3) Explore resigning Cole, Moses, and Crowder. We can overpay them a bit (versus a comparable option on the market) because they won't impact the comp-pick calculation ... or let them walk if too expensive because then they will. Let Foley go (ouch, but comp pick). Let Maye go. Nobody else on our pending FA is a particular concern, though there are some good enough players there (Berrios, Sheppard, etc.).

4) Throw ALL the money at Brandon Scherff. All of it. 3 year deal at 17M per year is fine - that will take him through Zach's and Becton's rookie contracts as the highest paid guard in the league. If he won't take it, pivot to Ryan Jensen. Draft a G or a C, depending on which you sign.

5) #1 draft targets should be a playmaking TE, a RT, Edge (if no JFM), WR (unless Mims turns it around), and IOL. 

• Upvote 1

I doubt we'll be letting Foley go - In fact I wouldn't be surprised if his extension soon follows. I know I'm his #1 fanboy but there's no way the coaches don't see his consistency on tape and he's obviously appreciated in the locker room as he was named a captian. He's by far our most consistent player, just wins off the snap time and again. Q and Rankins may make more spectacular plays but they also have long quiet periods which Foley does not. When we were stuffing the run on Sunday more often than not Foley was involved and was out for some of their bigger runs - Even the play where JFM blew up Henry that everyone talked about. Foley was right behind him and ready to do the same. Given how Saleh values the front 7 and the line in particular I think he'll be banging the drum for Foley to sign, he'll want all of them signed if they keep playing like they have been. Like in San Fran he'll want that unit to be where the resources go defensively. 

Agreed on the draft targets - Tight End has to be a priority, you can see Wilson likes to look for them but we just have nothing worth looking at. It's a bit early to talk draft though as it just depends on how the draft falls - As luck will have it the elite players that falls to us will probably be S Kyle Hamilton or DT Jordan Davis. 

8 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

I doubt we'll be letting Foley go - In fact I wouldn't be surprised if his extension soon follows. I know I'm his #1 fanboy but there's no way the coaches don't see his consistency on tape and he's obviously appreciated in the locker room as he was named a captian. He's by far our most consistent player, just wins off the snap time and again. Q and Rankins may make more spectacular plays but they also have long quiet periods which Foley does not. When we were stuffing the run on Sunday more often than not Foley was involved and was out for some of their bigger runs - Even the play where JFM blew up Henry that everyone talked about. Foley was right behind him and ready to do the same. Given how Saleh values the front 7 and the line in particular I think he'll be banging the drum for Foley to sign, he'll want all of them signed if they keep playing like they have been. Like in San Fran he'll want that unit to be where the resources go defensively. 

Agreed on the draft targets - Tight End has to be a priority, you can see Wilson likes to look for them but we just have nothing worth looking at. It's a bit early to talk draft though as it just depends on how the draft falls - As luck will have it the elite players that falls to us will probably be S Kyle Hamilton or DT Jordan Davis. 

He's terrific but there's a limit to how many big contracts you can give out on the DL, and we have Lawson, JFM, and Q coming up. Can't pay everyone and they're going to have to replace him. Would love to be wrong and Foley's market ends up being less than I expect, but I doubt it. Kid is going to be coveted and he can get Eddie Goldman/Dalvin Tomlinson money (10.5 per). You can't have that be your 4th highest paid DL.

Agree with all of this in principle.  But since we're probably going to end up with a very high draft pick, if Thibodeaux or Stingley are sitting there, I would have to imagine they're the pick.
I'd take Neal over stingley and move up if needed to snag wyrdermyer. Cb is definitely a need imo but can find one a little later id also consider double dipping at tight end and looking at a guy like stronger. A two tight end system with big targets might help Wilson actually develop.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

On 10/8/2021 at 4:31 AM, Irish Jet said:

I doubt we'll be letting Foley go - In fact I wouldn't be surprised if his extension soon follows. I know I'm his #1 fanboy but there's no way the coaches don't see his consistency on tape and he's obviously appreciated in the locker room as he was named a captian. He's by far our most consistent player, just wins off the snap time and again. 

Cimini said on his podcast from this week that he predicts Foley as the next resigning.  His reasoning was that the coaches love him and he’s one of the locker room leaders.

• 2 weeks later...

You’re 100% correct they need to give Scherff a blank check and get him in here. He’s been tagged 2 years in a row so he’s definitely hitting the open market. I’d also resign Moses and Fant as well. OLine of Becton, AVT, McGoven, Scherff, Fant/Moses should be good.

Other than that I’d also try to build my offense in free agency and look for one of the top receivers. Robinson or Godwin would be nice. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2021 at 10:25 AM, bealeb319 said:

I'd take Neal over stingley and move up if needed to snag wyrdermyer. Cb is definitely a need imo but can find one a little later id also consider double dipping at tight end and looking at a guy like stronger. A two tight end system with big targets might help Wilson actually develop.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

On 10/14/2021 at 8:31 AM, IndianaJet said:

Can't see this regime drafting a CB high.  They're putting late round picks and udfa's out there now with decent results.  They'll roll the dice on getting a huge pass rush upgrade before spending a top 20 pick on a CB.

Its just going to be top player on the board. At this point, no way the Jets draft for need. If they feel Stingley is a superstar and the best player available they will take him. If that guy is Neal, despite them keeping Moses, trust me, JD would love another monster OT. If its Green, the OG out of A&M, I could see JD taking him. If its Marvin Leal or even the safety out of ND, Hamilton- then he will take him. Especially with another potential high pick in Rd. 1. 

25 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Its just going to be top player on the board. At this point, no way the Jets draft for need. If they feel Stingley is a superstar and the best player available they will take him. If that guy is Neal, despite them keeping Moses, trust me, JD would love another monster OT. If its Green, the OG out of A&M, I could see JD taking him. If its Marvin Leal or even the safety out of ND, Hamilton- then he will take him. Especially with another potential high pick in Rd. 1. 

there is no way in hell JD will ever pick a safety in the 1st rd. hes a value drafter and they have the worst value on defense.

and he wont pick a OL in the 1st rd. that would be 3 big contracts and that doesnt make sense. your just training one of them to go to a new team in 3-4 years.

after the last 2 games, hell the whole season the defense has been bad. all of the 1st and 2rd picks will be defense. 

6 hours ago, doitny said:

there is no way in hell JD will ever pick a safety in the 1st rd. hes a value drafter and they have the worst value on defense.

and he wont pick a OL in the 1st rd. that would be 3 big contracts and that doesnt make sense. your just training one of them to go to a new team in 3-4 years.

after the last 2 games, hell the whole season the defense has been bad. all of the 1st and 2rd picks will be defense. 

I don’t think we’re at the stage that we can assume Becton projects to be worthy of a contract. Two banged up seasons with a bad training camp in between doesn’t make up a great resume. Kind of depends how he ends the year among other things, even then he needs to put together probably consecutive good healthy seasons in years 3 and 4 to get serious consideration or you’re paying a guy for one good full year and flashes otherwise.

To be clear I’m not a “Becton is bad” guy, he had special moments last year and is a pretty crazy run blocker. Saying he’s bad is too far one way, but the extension talk is too far the other.

I honestly think the way he finishes the year is going to determine how seriously they look at bringing in a legitimate potential replacement and they’re always going to need tackle depth with him on the roster as well - both backup tackles have gotten serious run this year.

Roster building wise the Moses replacement should almost certainly end up being a draft pick anyway. Not necessarily first round but Becton isn’t a consistent presence and Fant can potentially be upgraded and is in the last year of his deal - as is Edoga - Douglas usually tries to draft to replace expiring contracts a year early anyway.

1 hour ago, derp said:

I don’t think we’re at the stage that we can assume Becton projects to be worthy of a contract. Two banged up seasons with a bad training camp in between doesn’t make up a great resume. Kind of depends how he ends the year among other things, even then he needs to put together probably consecutive good healthy seasons in years 3 and 4 to get serious consideration or you’re paying a guy for one good full year and flashes otherwise.

To be clear I’m not a “Becton is bad” guy, he had special moments last year and is a pretty crazy run blocker. Saying he’s bad is too far one way, but the extension talk is too far the other.

I honestly think the way he finishes the year is going to determine how seriously they look at bringing in a legitimate potential replacement and they’re always going to need tackle depth with him on the roster as well - both backup tackles have gotten serious run this year.

Roster building wise the Moses replacement should almost certainly end up being a draft pick anyway. Not necessarily first round but Becton isn’t a consistent presence and Fant can potentially be upgraded and is in the last year of his deal - as is Edoga - Douglas usually tries to draft to replace expiring contracts a year early anyway.

i agree about Becton. but we cant assume he will not be worthy of that contract. not yet.

i would resign Fant and either move him to RT or even resign Moses. and yes i would draft a guard or Center with the 3rd rd pick and beyond.

very few teams have 3 first rd picks on there line and no one has done it 3 years in a row. plus that doesnt seem to be JDs MO. plus this defense has been bad all year. if this continues with that and the offense looking good like it has the pass 2 weeks he can not not pick defense in the 1st rd. even the 2nd. 

• Sympathy 1

47 minutes ago, doitny said:

i agree about Becton. but we cant assume he will not be worthy of that contract. not yet.

i would resign Fant and either move him to RT or even resign Moses. and yes i would draft a guard or Center with the 3rd rd pick and beyond.

very few teams have 3 first rd picks on there line and no one has done it 3 years in a row. plus that doesnt seem to be JDs MO. plus this defense has been bad all year. if this continues with that and the offense looking good like it has the pass 2 weeks he can not not pick defense in the 1st rd. even the 2nd. 

I didn’t say assume he’s not getting the extension but in my opinion assuming Becton, Vera-Tucker, and a hypothetical first round pick would all be extension worthy is more of a stretch than assuming at least one wouldn’t be - and if they are that’s a good problem to have. I’d also argue having those guys become extension eligible in consecutive years is less problematic than all at once.

Fant’s already signed next year but only next year. Becton, Edoga, and Fant are all back but Moses is expiring. Because they need to replace Moses but the tackle depth is clearly important and they will need to replace Fant and Edoga the following season, it makes more sense to replace Moses with a draft pick who can push Fant and at least be ready to start the following year than it does to re-sign Moses and have three expiring tackles the following year. I’d think second or third round for that.

On top of Fant and Edoga expiring after next year, McGovern and Van Roten do too. I’d be pretty surprised if Douglas doesn’t draft multiple linemen who can potentially start in 2023. Otherwise he's looking at going into that following season with just Becton, Vera-Tucker, and Cam Clark. It’s also a good roster situation to do it as McGovern could stay at center but could be upgraded there and get moved to guard where they definitely need an upgrade. And the tackle depth is important with Becton’s injury history.

I absolutely get the thought that it doesn’t make sense to draft OL in the first round next year. I’d make an exception for Tyler Linderbaum though, who is absolutely elite. Taking Linderbaum and kicking McGovern to guard likely fills two holes.

As for the defense, the Jets spent a decade focusing on it and it got them nowhere. They’re clearly struggling adjusting to a new scheme - largely the same personnel up front was solid against the run last year - and have had a bunch of injuries. On top of that, the bad offense gets the defense into bad game scripts. If there are any serious issues impacting the the run defense they’re at linebacker which can be addressed pretty aggressively in the second round since it’s not a premium position. They’ve got plenty of opportunities to work on the offense which still needs a lot more talent, particularly as they’re trying to develop a young quarterback.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2021 at 12:48 AM, PepPep said:

I think this is why we’ll end up picking Kyle Hamilton if we are picking in the 4-7 range with our own 1st round pick.  Guy is a sure fire difference maker at a spot where we need talent.  Then hopefully we can snag Linderbaum with Seattle’s number 1 pick.  With Russell Wilson back, they will win some games down the stretch and wind up with a pick in the 12-18 range.