Fun With Formation Frequency

good post - we should have a multifaceted offense for the first time in a long while - i expect the early part of the season will be run oriented but once we establish the running game i could see lafleur opening it up as the season progresses- and as you point out we seem to have a number of receivers (and tight ends) that can do different things - if we stay healthy ( particularly the offensive line ) we might see the beginning of a playoff level offense developing before our eyes!

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, NewGuyJet said:

The separate thread about Eli Moore as a wide out vs in the slot got me thinking ...

Given that we finally have not one one decent TE but two decent TEs, I wonder how often we'll even have a slot WR on the field.  We may end up in 12 persone1 RB, 2 TE for any newbs) quite a lot.  I also wonder if we might see some more 21 or even 22 personnel, given that Breece and MC I can both catch and there may be some matchups vs slow LBs to exploit.  So weird to think we might not only have good players but a whole bunch with different features allowing us to pick and choose based on our opp.

If Jets can just stay relatively healthy this year...

The game specific packages that LaFleur can plan will be a challenge for defenses to contend with.  Breece-MC + 2 TEs tandem is going to cause opposing DCs problems to game plan against.  Because the Jets have two speedy game breaking wideouts on the outside in Moore-GW to contend with too.  It's gonna be pick your poison. 

Yes...this offense can put points on the scoreboard...and win games this year.

The Jets DL could be special this year too.  Lawson-Q-JFM-Huff-JJ-Martin-Clemens-Soloman-Rankins-Curry...they could be called the Terrible Ten.  The High Fives.  Sauce-DJ-Bryce-MC II-Echols...gives Jets the best cover secondary since Revis-Crow days.  Add Kwon to CJ-Quincey...you got the Three Amigos.  And don't forget that Dynamic Duo of snot knockers Whitehead-Joyner.

Yes...this D can do 1-2-3s and toss the rock back to ZW & Company for more insane dial ups by LaFleur.

Yes...Jets can win...win and surprise.

Can't wait!

• Upvote 2

This is the first time in a long time that the Jets have weapons that can attack all areas of the field w/ a QB who supposedly can deliver to every area of the field, so it is very exciting to see what they can do from a formation standpoint.  I still see this being a very run heavy team.

• Upvote 2

Now that Jet fans are accepting that Elijah Moore is not slot receiver, they are trying to push a narrative that we wont use a slot receiver.  Just unbelievable.

Braxton Berrios is the starting slot wr and the formation of 1 te, 3wrs w/ berrios in the slot will be the most used formation we run this year.

Why can Jet fans not accept that Berrios is a huge part of this offense?  Its really strange.

5 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Now that Jet fans are accepting that Elijah Moore is not slot receiver, they are trying to push a narrative that we wont use a slot receiver.  Just unbelievable.

Braxton Berrios is the starting slot wr and the formation of 1 te, 3wrs w/ berrios in the slot will be the most used formation we run this year.

Why can Jet fans not accept that Berrios is a huge part of this offense?  Its really strange.

He won't be a huge part of the offense. He'll see some plays, but he's a 4th WR and they're not keeping Davis/Wilson/Moore/Uzomah off the field for huge chunks to get Berrios in the game. Most likely, he'll rotate through on specific plays.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Doggin94it said:

He won't be a huge part of the offense. He'll see some plays, but he's a 4th WR and they're not keeping Davis/Wilson/Moore/Uzomah off the field for huge chunks to get Berrios in the game. Most likely, he'll rotate through on specific plays.

This is 100% wrong.  When the Jets go 3 wide, berrios is in the slot.  Every single time.  Hes not the 4th wr on this team.  Hes the #1 slot receiver on this team.

8 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I agree that 11 personnel (with 3WR) will be the most common formation we use.  I actually didn't say otherwise.  But I do not expect Berrios to play a majority of the snaps.  He's a very good backup, but just a backup ... in addition to being a return guy.  And while I hope everyone now understands that E Moore played amazing as a X and Z last year, he and also G Wilson can also play slot, and I think you'll see the Jets mix it up quite a bit based on matchups.  I would absolutely expect a majority of our 3WR sets (when all are healthy) to include C. Davis at the X and G Wilson/E Moore, in either order, at the Y and Z.  

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, NewGuyJet said:

The separate thread about Eli Moore as a wide out vs in the slot got me thinking ...

Given that we finally have not one one decent TE but two decent TEs, I wonder how often we'll even have a slot WR on the field.  We may end up in 12 persone1 RB, 2 TE for any newbs) quite a lot.  I also wonder if we might see some more 21 or even 22 personnel, given that Breece and MC I can both catch and there may be some matchups vs slow LBs to exploit.  So weird to think we might not only have good players but a whole bunch with different features allowing us to pick and choose based on our opp.

Lining up in 22 personnel is traditionally a heavy run formation but usually uses a RB and FB combination.  But as you said, with MC and Breece there would be 4 true pass catchers in tight formation there, causing a conundrum for the defense.  Against defenses that don't have great cover Safeties or LBs it would really be a challenge as the Jets would likely still be lining up someone such as Elijah Moore out wide that could force that Free Safety to stay deep and help the CB.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, NewGuyJet said:

I agree that 11 personnel (with 3WR) will be the most common formation we use.  I actually didn't say otherwise.  But I do not expect Berrios to play a majority of the snaps.  He's a very good backup, but just a backup ... in addition to being a return guy.  And while I hope everyone now understands that E Moore played amazing as a X and Z last year, he and also G Wilson can also play slot, and I think you'll see the Jets mix it up quite a bit based on matchups.  I would absolutely expect a majority of our 3WR sets (when all are healthy) to include C. Davis at the X and G Wilson/E Moore, in either order, at the Y and Z.  

What are you basing this on?  I was there on Tuesday.  I watched every snap.  Berrios is in the slot w/ the starters on every snap.  Garrett Wilson is exclusively lining up out wide.  

Is berrios a better receiver the Moore, Davis or wilson?  No.  Is he a better slot wr the Moore, Davis and Wilson?  Yes.

I cant argue this point anymore.  Jet fans cant accept Joe D is a generational GM.  They cant accept Robert Saleh is a superstar HC in the making.  And we can add to the list that they cant accept Berrios is the starting slot receiver on this team.

23 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Lining up in 22 personnel is traditionally a heavy run formation but usually uses a RB and FB combination.  But as you said, with MC and Breece there would be 4 true pass catchers in tight formation there, causing a conundrum for the defense.  Against defenses that don't have great cover Safeties or LBs it would really be a challenge as the Jets would likely still be lining up someone such as Elijah Moore out wide that could force that Free Safety to stay deep and help the CB.

Indeed.  Interesting question would be which WRs to line up in such a formation.  Best run blockers are probably C. Davis and Mims.  The idea of leaving G. Wilson and E. Moore on the bench even for one play makes me want to throw up, but for the right matchup against the right defense, I can choke down a little vomit.

34 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

This, 100%.  Berrios is 4th.  Unless Mims knocks him down a peg.  I suppose the Jets could decide they're NEVER putting E. Moore or G. Wilson in the slot ... but I really don't see that happening.  I see it as a week to week matchup decision.  And play to play.

Edited by NewGuyJet

1 hour ago, NewGuyJet said:

I apologize.  It was wrong of me to say something different than what you said.  I'll just repeat every single thing you say from now on.

Say it with me.... "Thank you Joe Douglas Thank you"