League Worst Defensive DVOA After 3 Weeks (update: now 6th best)

On 9/27/2022 at 10:06 AM, johnnysd said:

Why is this shocking. On every 3rd and long, we literally give a 6 to 7 yard cushion in off coverage rush 4 and then the corners start by backpeddling. It is a system so totally focused on not giving up a big play and "keeping things in front of you" that it makes the 3rd and long coverage so incredibly soft it's almost hard to not make the first down. I am just not a fan of our defensive scheme at all. It is entirely predicated on having an elite 4 man DL that is 2 deep and we simply do not have that. Our Cover 3 defense makes Tampa 2 seem like an overly aggressive defense. 

What's even more bizarre is that the defense is designed to be effective by protecting 2nd tier CBs so that more money can be spent on the DL. Well we went out and signed one of the best man corners in the NFL in Reed and then drafted the #1 man corner in the draft and then stick them in soft Cover 3 pass off zone. What in the total FA-UCK?

This was totally valid criticism at that point, but starting in Week 4 we moved away from that to the point we are very aggressive now on 3rd down coverages. It took too long IMO for Saleh to realize just how good Sauce, Reed and Carter actually are

Obviously when I stated this I thought we would improve by ditching Soft cover 3, but I have to say I did not anticipate just how dramatic the difference would be

4 hours ago, fastmover said:

Reading this thread from the beginning, it’s hysterically funny all the expertly wrong takes on the team that was posted in here!

comedy gold

Semper Fi 

To be fair the Jets had completely redone half of their defense and were still bottom feeders, with a defensive head coach. People had a right to be mad. I don't see many of these takes as expertly wrong, I instead see the Jets' turnaround as expertly sudden and mostly unpredictable. 

On 9/28/2022 at 11:11 PM, T0mShane said:

He definitely needs to actively take control of the organization right now. I don’t think he knows how close he is to being the next Matt Rhule coach-in-the-barrel. @Steelers, Miami at home, then @Broncos, @Packers, Pats, Bills, @Pats, then the BYE. That’s a real shot at being an ugly 1-9. I don’t know what he can do, but if his plan is to hope Zach Wilson saves him, he may as well apply to Ypsilanti High for their LB coach position next Fall

Really? 1-9?   ?

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...