Jets Starting Roster 2019 when JD took over

It’s why I don’t get all the Wilson hatters saying the pick sucks.Yes he might not be world class but is he better than Sam by far so it’s a upgrade. He might not work out but he was the right choice at that pick. Lawrence was already going number one so was choice him and fields really and he much better than fields 

good list but one thing to consider are the number of drafted players on the oline and dline.  i haven't looked that closely but it looks like in 2019 there were 3 drafted players on the oline and in 2022 just 1.  i think the same goes for the dline.  so it's not like douglas has built this team entirely through the draft.  he knows he can draft 7 or so players each season but the team reloads about 14 or 15.  these players have to come through free agency or trades.  

50 minutes ago, rangerous said:

good list but one thing to consider are the number of drafted players on the oline and dline.  i haven't looked that closely but it looks like in 2019 there were 3 drafted players on the oline and in 2022 just 1.  i think the same goes for the dline.  so it's not like douglas has built this team entirely through the draft.  he knows he can draft 7 or so players each season but the team reloads about 14 or 15.  these players have to come through free agency or trades.  

https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/06/23/ny-jets-spending-position-2022/amp/

This info is without Duane Brown signing  

Hoping after the Bye week the OL is ranked somewhere in the top 10 vs  our current 17th position  They need to do better in pass protection as teams continue to stack the box  

2. Offensive line – 5th ($48.5M)

The high expectations for New York’s offensive line are reflected in the amount of money that the team has invested in the unit. Only the Cardinals ($54.2M), Lions ($50.6M), Eagles ($49.6M), and Colts ($49.6M) are projected to spend more cap dollars on their offensive line in 2022.

The third (and final) years in the contracts of George Fant and Connor McGovern are the primary driving forces here. Fant is set for the 16th-highest cap hit among offensive tackles at $11.1 million. McGovern is set for the fourth-highest cap hit among centers at $10.3 million.

Following suit with his fellow 2022 signees, Laken Tomlinson has a low cap hit thanks to the backloaded structure of his lucrative three-year, $40 million deal. He’ll only cost $5.6 million this year. In 2023 and 2024, Tomlinson will have a massive cap hit of $17.4 million. That mark is currently set to rank fifth-highest among guards in 2023.

This is why I get lost in GM conversations.  I will never understand how a GM is tied to the QB he selected, and if said quarterback does not work out, the GM is gone too. 

I love JD.  I think he has done a tremendous job, but I still hear "If Zach doesnt work out then JD is gone".  JD put together the other 52 players as well.  Granted the QB spot is the most important but if you put together an amazing team of talent - couldnt you just plug in a FA QB or draft another?  Why is it all or nothing?

Furthermore, with the exception of his first draft, the man has been killing it.  I think most of us can look at the talent assembled above and realize this guy knows what he's doing.  Most of us agree and cheer his moves on draft night.  But if one out of 53 doesnt work out.. get rid of him.  I will never get it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

Eh.  The drafted players on the 2019 O line were Winters and Shell.  Winters was an Idzik pick.  Now they only have AVT, but they also have Becton (who I guess Douglas would not crow about) and Mitchell.  On the D line they had Leo and Q.  Now they have Q and Johnson, and presumably Clemons.  I think the key is that they money pieces are primarily drafted - QB, WR, CB, pass rusher (hopefully).  The drafted LT didn't work out, but that seems like a better move than paying guys like Beachum or Clady and calling it done.  I mean Douglas still managed to fit Fant, Moses and Brown onto the roster. 

To me the key is having a solid floor of cheap talent.  Then you can fill in with draft picks and mid-tier free agents like  Reed, Martin, Kwon Alexander.   If you are looking at those guys to be your savior or they HAVE to start it is a huge problem, but if they are just an attempt to upgrade everything is good.  I think that is where we are getting.  There is a lot of chatter here about this team being awesome except for the QB.  I don't know about that.  They appear solid, but that is the last 3 games.  They looked pretty sh*tty before that.  OTOH, we can see what they are supposed to be and they appear to be well constructed and it should be sustainable. 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Eh.  The drafted players on the 2019 O line were Winters and Shell.  Winters was an Idzik pick.  Now they only have AVT, but they also have Becton (who I guess Douglas would not crow about) and Mitchell.  On the D line they had Leo and Q.  Now they have Q and Johnson, and presumably Clemons.  I think the key is that they money pieces are primarily drafted - QB, WR, CB, pass rusher (hopefully).  The drafted LT didn't work out, but that seems like a better move than paying guys like Beachum or Clady and calling it done.  I mean Douglas still managed to fit Fant, Moses and Brown onto the roster. 

To me the key is having a solid floor of cheap talent.  Then you can fill in with draft picks and mid-tier free agents like  Reed, Martin, Kwon Alexander.   If you are looking at those guys to be your savior or they HAVE to start it is a huge problem, but if they are just an attempt to upgrade everything is good.  I think that is where we are getting.  There is a lot of chatter here about this team being awesome except for the QB.  I don't know about that.  They appear solid, but that is the last 3 games.  They looked pretty sh*tty before that.  OTOH, we can see what they are supposed to be and they appear to be well constructed and it should be sustainable. 

i'm not criticising douglas, just pointing out that many people had issues with the way mac and even idzik would sign a bunch of scrub free agents or high priced slugs.  douglas is doing much of the same but he's making better selections.  and yes he is also bringing in depth through the draft.  i also agree that too often teams play the guys based on the money they're paying as opposed to a younger/cheaper guy who might be better.  imo this is a dumb move.  play the guy who going to make the plays.