Saleh Stumped on Most Important Question Surrounding Wilson and Jets

JetNation

Robert Saleh

There was nothing out of the ordinary about Jets head coach Robert Saleh’s post game press conference.  There he stood, fielding one question after another from a Jets beat that peppered him with questions about his team’s latest loss.  This time a 22-17 heartbreaker to the New England Patriots.

Most of questions Saleh fielded were in regards to the poor play of quarterback Zach Wilson.  The presser followed it’s usual pace; question…answer, question…answer, question…pause…longer pause…longer pause…coachspeak answer.  The question that had Saleh have to stop and gather his thoughts before speaking spoke volumes?

Having said earlier in the presser that he believed Zach Wilson would eventually “figure it out”, Connor Hughes of SNY followed up by asking Saleh at the 6:45 mark; “What you guys have shown over the last five or six weeks is that you have a team that’s pretty good and is capable of winning in the NFL now.  So how do you balance waiting for Zach to be ready versus the pieces that are around him that are showing they’re ready now”?  It was the most important question Saleh faced, because if Wilson makes wasting outstanding efforts from the team’s defense a habit, Saleh could lose the locker room.

Saleh realized he had to tread lightly.  He couldn’t say the other 52 guys on the roster will just have to wait on Zach.  That would be too much to ask of the roster publicly and would make Wilson’s scrutiny by the media and fans that much stronger.  He couldn’t tell a fan base that has witnessed the NFL’s longest playoff drought that they may have to sit through a wasted season for the benefit of a quarterback who looks to have regressed from late last season.

So all Saleh do was put the heat anywhere but on Wilson.  After five to six seconds of only a blank stare, Saleh  replied, “We just gotta’ rally around him.  You know, coaches, we gotta’ find a way to make it, not necessarily simpler (translation, make it simpler) but just help him continue to progress and evolve”.  So as one  might expect in today’s NFL, and this is no fault of Saleh’s, no real answer to the question was offered.  It was a great question from Hughes and one that had to be asked.  And all Jets fans can do is that hope that in the coming weeks won’t have to be answered in reality vs a press conference hypothetical.

The post Saleh Stumped on Most Important Question Surrounding Wilson and Jets appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Did anyone else notice this? 

Thought it stuck out like a sore thumb.

Ya,  I did. 

And the other thing I noticed on every ZW question was it was the first time I haven't seen Salah adamantly supporting/praising ZW.

1 minute ago, Spoot-Face said:

Definitely sounds like Saleh is planting the seeds for them to make the switch to Mike White should Zach continue to struggle. The only question is how soon do they pull the trigger.

Now, I hope.  I've seen enough of ZW.  Malfunctioning tennis ball machine on casters. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Definitely sounds like Saleh is planting the seeds for them to make the switch to Mike White should Zach continue to struggle. The only question is how soon do they pull the trigger.

Make a call to the best man in your wedding, tell him " look, its obvious you all are struggling and the outlook is grim for you all. Why don't you do me and Aaron a favor. Lets work out a deal where we get Rodgers to the JETS for his last push towards a title?"

do it.. lol... it won't happen but damn if it did?!?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PorP said:

Ya,  I did. 

And the other thing I noticed on every ZW question was it was the first time I haven't seen Salah adamantly supporting/praising ZW.

This. He wasn't his usual PVO self when talking about Zach. This is very telling the coaching staff knows he is a problem. 

• Upvote 1

For me it was the throwing the ball away comment, but not only was it an indictment on Zach but on MLF. How does Zach not understand that rule? How does MLF not tell him over and over again how to throw the ball away. 

This coaching staff is tied to Zach and if they make the move to another QB, it will be with a new coaching regime. Saleh, LeFleur and Calabrese better help Zach become better or they will be fired.

11 minutes ago, Stark said:

Make a call to the best man in your wedding, tell him " look, its obvious you all are struggling and the outlook is grim for you all. Why don't you do me and Aaron a favor. Lets work out a deal where we get Rodgers to the JETS for his last push towards a title?"

do it.. lol... it won't happen but damn if it did?!?

Eh, Rodgers is a douche, and he seems kinda checked out this year. I guess it would depend on the compensation.

10 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

This. He wasn't his usual PVO self when talking about Zach. This is very telling the coaching staff knows he is a problem. 

It might be more along the lines of he was okay with Zach growing this year - but all of a sudden they're a playoff contender and Zach isn't growing as fast as they need him to - to be a legit playoff contender.

• Upvote 1