Some random non-QB Jets thoughts

JohnnyLV

Someone is going to throw big money at Bryce Huff. I hope he isn’t priced out of our market bc he is an elite pass rusher.

Bam demonstrated speed and power we haven’t seen since Breece went down. Bam and Breece sounds like a good RB tandem for the next few years.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetty said:

Someone is going to throw big money at Bryce Huff. I hope he isn’t priced out of our market bc he is an elite pass rusher.

Bam demonstrated speed and power we haven’t seen since Breece went down. Bam and Breece sounds like a good RB tandem for the next few years.

I liked Bam even going back to when signed him as an UDFA. Almost thought I was watching Breece Hall a bit today lol. 

Hall, Bam and Carter as a 3rd down back next year wouldn't be bad. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

1. We need to extend Huff. He might not survive any RFA tender. He is insanely disruptive. On a clear passing down, he is close to unstoppable and he has started converted his rush wins to sacks

2. Is it possible to recover a fumble? There are without exaggeration like 10 fumbles right in front of us where we just don't recover and theres like 4 or 5 Jets and 1 of them in the area

3.  Zonovan Knight looked really good today. Like long term contributor good. Fresh legs could be this teams Shonn Greene.

4.  We should not fear anyone. With this defense we can and maybe even should beat anyone

5.  We are in much better shape than our current position suggests for the playoffs. All the teams play each other quite a bit. There are 9 guaranteed losses for the other 5 teams going forward that help us. Win 10 and we are almost certainly in, and 9 might get there too. If we can beat Buffalo we have a great chance at the division. 

Cincinatti's schedule is brutal and they have BUF NE and KC on the schedule.

Dolphins have Chargers 49ers Bills and Patriots

Cheatriots have Bills twice Miami Cincinatti 

Chargers have Dolphins and Titans but fairly soft schedule. They could be the sticky one.

6. It is an exciting time to be a Jets fan, yet all anyone seems to be focused on is the QB. 

We are 7-4 and extremely well placed for the playoffs. ALL of our December and January games are going to be meaningful.

Yeah as per 1.  How can you not extend Bryce Huff, you hear that stat that he might get to the QB FASTER than ANYONE in the NFL?  That includes Micah Parsons.

As for 2.  Maybe it’s just me but I’ve always thought there was a Law or something that forces the Jets to NEVER recover a fumble, and it’s not just this year, going back DECADES.  You can even see 5 Jets around a fumble with no one else around and in a flash a 160 lb slot WR dives between the legs of ALL 5 and recovers the ball.  It’s kind of like when they have a Pick 6 or a long punt or KO return for a TD, there’s a Law that says you’ll ALWAYS have a Ref drop a flag against them.

• Upvote 1

My randomly scrambled thought: It appears that this coaching staff has no favorite players except the players that are playing the best in practice and games - example James Robinson take a seat for Bam Knight, Zach take a seat Ogbuehi take a seat. If your playing better in practice you could very well take someones place - no favorites - except C.J. Mosely of course. Play the players that are playing the best - simple but not always done in this league. 

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

6. It is an exciting time to be a Jets fan, yet all anyone seems to be focused on is the QB. 

We are 7-4 and extremely well placed for the playoffs. ALL of our December and January games are going to be meaningful.

Everyone is focused on the QB for a good reason. This ain't Alabama. Can't win in this league without a competent QB. We aren't well placed because we lost to both BAL and CIN plus NE twice. Our best prayer is for the Chargers to fold down the stretch (which they are infamous for) and for NE to crash and burn. A second option is for the Jets to win out the rest of the season but that probably won't happen

1 hour ago, Jetty said:

I'd imagine we hit him with the 1st round tender. Force a team to pay and give up a 1st round pick to us. He'll be back next year, there is a pretty decent shot Lawson gets cut if he doesn't restructure.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

My randomly scrambled thought: It appears that this coaching staff has no favorite players except the players that are playing the best in practice and games - example James Robinson take a seat for Bam Knight, Zach take a seat Ogbuehi take a seat. If your playing better in practice you could very well take someones place - no favorites - except C.J. Mosely of course. Play the players that are playing the best - simple but not always done in this league. 

I don't necessarily disagree overall but notes on the examples you gave:

James Robinson - Corey Davis came back, they didn't want to deactivate Mims so Jeff Smith got deactivated. This meant the Jets needed help on special teams, we deactivated Robinson so Bam could play specials. Also helps that Robinson has a yardage threshold that turns the 6th into a 5th.

Zach Wilson - idk I'd you could have played him and kept the locker room intact. 

Ogbuehi - Mitchell came off IR

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I like Bryce Huff as well, but I wonder if he would lose effectiveness if he was utilized as more of an every down player. His best fit may always just be what he is now. 

As excited as a I am about the team, I really wish Breece Hall and AVT were still healthy. 

Suspect teams would run right at him.  If you could go to a lab and combine him (pass) with JJ (run), you'd probably be close to a perfect edge player...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

1. We need to extend Huff. He might not survive any RFA tender. He is insanely disruptive. On a clear passing down, he is close to unstoppable and he has started converted his rush wins to sacks

2. Is it possible to recover a fumble? There are without exaggeration like 10 fumbles right in front of us where we just don't recover and theres like 4 or 5 Jets and 1 of them in the area

3.  Zonovan Knight looked really good today. Like long term contributor good. Fresh legs could be this teams Shonn Greene.

4.  We should not fear anyone. With this defense we can and maybe even should beat anyone

5.  We are in much better shape than our current position suggests for the playoffs. All the teams play each other quite a bit. There are 9 guaranteed losses for the other 5 teams going forward that help us. Win 10 and we are almost certainly in, and 9 might get there too. If we can beat Buffalo we have a great chance at the division. 

Chargers have Dolphins and Titans but fairly soft schedule. They could be the sticky one.

I honestly don’t care if Namath is at QB throwing from a wheelchair as long as we win and keep progressing towards the playoffs.

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Just Like Joe Douglas Wanted...

GM Joe Douglas: Jets 'Need to Be Playing Meaningful Games in December' (newyorkjets.com)

Mar 30, 2022 at 08:15 AM ... Randy Lange NYJets.com Contributor

The "meaningful games in December" question is a prickly thicket for most owners, general managers, coaches and players in the NFL. Why invite trouble and second-guessing down the road should unforeseen circumstances and an injury tsunami hit your team in September, October or November?

But Jets GM Joe Douglas didn't have cold feet when Jets reporters asked him that hot-potato question Tuesday morning at the annual league meeting in Palm Beach, FL.

"Absolutely. We need to be playing meaningful games in December," Douglas said.

He had several reasons for the boldness of that statement. One was how the Jets have fared so far in the NFL's free agency period and how they hope to capitalize on their draft position in Las Vegas in a month.

"I think we're still young," Douglas said of his roster, which was among the league's youngest at the start of last season, "having two years' worth of draft guys on the roster and getting ready to add, right now, nine more young guys. But being able to bring in some quality veteran free agents that are still young, still in their prime and have played in championship moments to really add to these young players and help this entire locker room grow and develop.

"Just going through what we did last year, playing all the young guys, knowing there was going to be some bumps along the road, but hoping that the payoff starts now with this year moving forward."

The Jets added that youthful experience around the roster — at tight end with the signings of C.J. Uzomah and Tyler Conklin, on the O-line with the arrival of Laken Tomlinson, and in the secondary with D.J. Reed and Jordan Whitehead.

And at one more position, one that often gets overlooked at this time of year but one that could also have a big hand in Douglas' December plans: placekicker.

"I think with where we were with the couple of moves we made recently, we expect to be playing in a lot more close games," he said. "That's why, if we're going to be playing in close games, it's important to have a good kicker. And so signing [Greg] Zuerlein and bringing Eddie [Piñeiro] back, there's going to be a nice competition there and hopefully they can be a big factor for us in some of these tighter games that we play next year."

Yet another reason for Douglas' optimism came up when he was asked about the health of tackle Mekhi Becton, who rehabbed his opening-day knee injury the rest of the entire year, and WR Denzel Mims, who struggled through illness and light production in the offseason and into the regular season.

"I'm excited, and not just Mekhi and Denzel but Jabari [Zuniga], Ashtyn [Davis], Bryce [Huff] and all the guys coming back from the 2020 and 2021 drafts, getting them back on the field with the new players we've added," he said. "A big focus for us — and I don't think this is breaking news — is that great teams, teams that are in the playoffs keep their good players healthy. So a huge focus for us will be keeping those guys healthy and keeping them on the field for those meaningful December games."

Some might say Douglas is feeling the pressure. Others might say he's feeling the cool vibe of working with owners Woody and Christopher Johnson, team president Hymie Elhai, head coach Robert Saleh and everyone else in the football wing of the Atlantic Health Training Center in spending cap dollars and draft capital to get the 2022 Jets program off and flying.

"There's pressure every offseason, But especially this year, having four picks in the top 38, if we do this the right way, it could be really special," Douglas said. "Where we've set ourselves up with free agency and the opportunity here with these top four picks, it's a huge opportunity for us."