Zach starting Thursday

Rhg1084

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

One of the dumbest traditions around imo, the olineman are already being paid to block for you and some paid a great deal.

Same f'ckers wearing Mike white t-shirts after one game are happy to accept this stuff.

I still recall Darnold getting gifts for the worst oline in the league and a center who literally could not snap the ball and they bitched about his gifts.  (If i recall it was custom really nice BBQ sets)

Same with rookies paying for dinner. 

3 hours ago, jgb said:

Two types of Jets fans… those that complain about the team… and those that complain about those that complain about the team.

Who was complaining, it was a question. 
I also see fans who complain that there are 2 types of fans, is that 3 types

20 minutes ago, football guy said:

I’m expecting a similar gameplan that we utilized against BUF in our first matchup, supplemented with a lot more RPO. There should be more opportunities to make plays after the catch as well

QB will need to be accurate for YAC. Fingers crossed! 

45 minutes ago, football guy said:

I’m expecting a similar gameplan that we utilized against BUF in our first matchup supplemented with more RPO. There should be more opportunities to make plays after the catch as well

The problem with RPO is everybody knows it's going to be a pass. I wish they would run the ball more. 

5 minutes ago, DireJet said:

QB will need to be accurate for YAC. Fingers crossed! 

One thing the Jets have noticed is how much more accurate Zach’s ball placement is on RPO plays. As Saleh alluded to this week, a lot of Zach’s accuracy issues due to overthinking, which leads to delay and breakdowns in footwork. The RPO eliminates the need to think. Also expect some jet sweep and wheels with the receivers in effort to get them the ball while on the move, which is where the Jags struggle.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I think a more interesting stat would be turnovers/yds or TDs. How much risk is being taken that results in moving the ball/scoring. You can have a very low turnover number and even lower offensive production. It would be interesting to see this. It does no good to not turn the ball over much at the expense of only having half the offensive production that is expected of a QB. 

Not sure if anyone else has responded, but I was curious as to that metric.

Here's a completely made up stat: yards / ints. The higher the number, the better (basically, the amount of yard per int)! I did not include fumbles. I added all three Jets QBs to give us an idea of how they performed from a team perspective.

image.png.7d89512035b3f16847db45c2c748a7f9.png

Some takeaways:

• Lawrence and White are head and shoulders above the competition.
  • Jones (and maybe Flacco) in that mid level category
  • Wilson leads the way for the bottom tier, with Wilson and Mills.

What does any of this mean? Nothing really...

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

One thing the Jets have noticed is how much more accurate Zach’s ball placement is on RPO plays. As Saleh alluded to this week, a lot of Zach’s accuracy issues due to overthinking, which leads to delay and breakdowns in footwork. The RPO eliminates the need to think. Also expect some jet sweep and wheels with the receivers in effort to get them the ball while on the move, which is where the Jags struggle.

Makes sense. Let’s hope he executes. Why didn’t they do that vs the Lions if it’s a friendly style for ZW? 

2 minutes ago, DireJet said:

Makes sense. Let’s hope he executes. Why didn’t they do that vs the Lions if it’s a friendly style for ZW? 

Really had to do with game plan. Going in the game plan was to attack the Lions the way we did. They play man coverage outside and have fast linebackers, so they’ve been very good at coverage on plays within 10 yards. It’s the rollouts and deep developing stuff where they struggle. 

MLF is married to his scheme as we know, but he’ll going to mix in stuff that he feels the opponent will struggle defending. The point is to not make it obvious when it’s called, and if you're constantly putting it on tape your opponent is going to pick up on it. So instead of the deep passing/designed rollouts, I expect 3-to-5 RPOs and another handful of jetsweep style stuff. Definitely expecting more “gadget” plays this week than what we saw against the Lions

6 minutes ago, football guy said:

Really had to do with game plan. Going in the game plan was to attack the Lions the way we did. They play man coverage outside and have fast linebackers, so they’ve been very good at coverage on plays within 10 yards. It’s the rollouts and deep developing stuff where they struggle. 

MLF is married to his scheme as we know, but he’ll going to mix in stuff that he feels the opponent will struggle defending. The point is to not make it obvious when it’s called, and if you're constantly putting it on tape your opponent is going to pick up on it. So instead of the deep passing/designed rollouts, I expect 3-to-5 RPOs and another handful of jetsweep style stuff. Definitely expecting more “gadget” plays this week than what we saw against the Lions

Oh god. Sounds like a disaster. Lefluer just can’t help but get in the way. Stop with the cute sh*t. 

12 minutes ago, football guy said:

Question…why don’t they run more RPO with Wilson and/or more no huddle hurry to eliminate the overthinking.

3 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Oh god. Sounds like a disaster. Lefluer just can’t help but get in the way. Stop with the cute sh*t. 

I have a feeling it will be glorious or horrible, no in between. If we can’t establish a run I fear the result. Have to keep in mind that you won’t see Zach playing persistent hero ball because he’s trying to show that he can play within the offense… if he’s not greenlit to do those things this week (which I’m sure has already been established) then you won’t see him do it unless it’s a situation like last week where the game is on the line. 

3 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

I was never in denial , I said upfront bad read, horrible throw . Its you who wants to expound about it like some Monday morning analyst and prove your point.  Just say what you really want , Zach sucks and you hate him, its ok everyone else does it. 

Zach does suckk, that isn’t debatable. But I do not hate him. He’s been the worst qb in nfl for almost 2 full seasons. His stats don’t lie.  However he is young and very inexperienced , he has a great arm. He is highly inaccurate, and barely can read a D at all. On that specific play, he made ZERO read. A Read in football means you actually considered throwing somewhere else. Which is not possible if you are locked on 1 receiver from snap to throw. So let’s stop saying “ wrong read “ and instead state the facts “ he didn’t read D at all, and telegraphed his bad throw to the entire stadium.” 

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

I have a feeling it will be glorious or horrible, no in between. If we can’t establish a run I fear the result. Have to keep in mind that you won’t see Zach playing persistent hero ball because he’s trying to show that he can play within the offense… if he’s not greenlit to do those things this week (which I’m sure has already been established) then you won’t see him do it unless it’s a situation like last week where the game is on the line. 

Sounds like another game where Zach plays poorly but gets to blame it all on MLF.

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

Wow sounds like a dream for a QB. 

Jesus Christ. Fire this guy already. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Wow sounds like a dream for a QB. 

Jesus Christ. Fire this guy already. 

My suggestion is so simple. Take 6 passing plays, and call running plays instead. It really could make the difference and it's not cray cray. Think about it; take the video from any game this year and you can easily cherry pick at least 6 plays where Zach tossed an interception or incomplete pass and replace it with a running play. How could it be worse??? I just don't get it. And I do realize that the playcalling is adjusted significantly when you play from behind, but without looking, just off the top of my head, the Jets haven't had their doors blown off at all this year. It's not like there's this insurmountable mountain of points you have to score in X amount of time. 

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Question…why don’t they run more RPO with Wilson and/or more no huddle hurry to eliminate the overthinking.

It’s a good question and the answer is not straight forward. They call RPOs on about 5% of their plays. Flacco & White get slightly more than Zach because they give Zach more pocket movement stuff. End of the day, MLF and our coaching staff are scheme-oriented and are sticking to the base offense 80-85% of the time. They will mix in certain plays/concepts based on matchup and will call plays that they feel the personnel is able to run effectively, but they’re not going to integrate something simply to generate offense for a particular player nor will they run a play if they think the personnel is unable to do what the play asks them to do.  They think the players have to play within the offense and feel it’s better for their development long-term. When it does click, they feel it becomes close to unstoppable week-to-week (see SF). Yet the reason why the coaches who run this offense are always in the hunt for a talented QB (like Wilson) is because when you face teams who can get you into a shootout or that are able to defend the scheme, you need a guy who can make plays off-script to overcome the schematic breakdowns, hence the perfect balance being a guy you can develop into being both (easier said than done).

I don’t disagree because we’ve all seen coaches who have implemented gimmicky offenses which generate tons of temporary success but it really won’t do them any favors in the long run nor is it sustainable. Personally, I just wish they would incorporate more plays to make it easier on the QBs for the purpose of building confidence, getting the offense into a rhythm, and to win. How many times have we seen our QBs get off to slow starts this year? We never start with the stuff that makes our guys comfortable and it’s frustrating to watch as a fan…

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, football guy said:

Are you one of Bobby Saleh’s 15 children? 

1 minute ago, football guy said:

but they’re not going to integrate something simply to generate offense for a particular player nor will they run a play if they think the personnel is unable to do what the play asks them to do. 

Based on what, though? Isn't that demoralizing to the players? You have confidence enough in me to have me on the field, but you're not going to call certain plays because you "think" I'll screw it up. 

2 minutes ago, Coquito said:

Based on what, though? Isn't that demoralizing to the players? You have confidence enough in me to have me on the field, but you're not going to call certain plays because you "think" I'll screw it up. 

It’s a philosophy based on plug & play. Get the right players for the system and the drop off shouldn’t be extreme if injuries pile up. Clearly, the system has been tested and failed this year. Not good. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, football guy said:

It’s a good question and the answer is not straight forward. They call RPOs on about 5% of their plays. Flacco & White get slightly more than Zach because they give Zach more pocket movement stuff. End of the day, MLF and our coaching staff are scheme-oriented and are sticking to the base offense 80-85% of the time. They will mix in certain plays/concepts based on matchup and will call plays that they feel the personnel is able to run effectively, but they’re not going to integrate something simply to generate offense for a particular player nor will they run a play if they think the personnel is unable to do what the play asks them to do.  They think the players have to play within the offense and feel it’s better for their development long-term. When it does click, they feel it becomes close to unstoppable week-to-week (see SF). Yet the reason why the coaches who run this offense are always in the hunt for a talented QB (like Wilson) is because when you face teams who can get you into a shootout or that are able to defend the scheme, you need a guy who can make plays off-script to overcome the schematic breakdowns, hence the perfect balance being a guy you can develop into being both (easier said than done).

I don’t disagree because we’ve all seen coaches who have implemented gimmicky offenses which generate tons of temporary success but it really won’t do them any favors in the long run nor is it sustainable. Personally, I just wish they would incorporate more plays to make it easier on the QBs for the purpose of building confidence, getting the offense into a rhythm, and to win. How many times have we seen our QBs get off to slow starts this year? We never start with the stuff that makes our guys comfortable and it’s frustrating to watch as a fan…

Great post and insight thanks. I have to say I agree with the coaching philosophy…although as you said they should add some confidence builders each game.

Tom Brady made a career out of “the long hand off” and then making the clutch throws later.

Considering how well Zack makes “the hard look easy” we just need to pray he figures out how to make “the easy look easy” next year.