Danny Jones wants $45m a year

Rhg1084

12 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

That's a typically overoptimistic look at things from a Jets fan.

The Giants are a real football organization, with a coach that knows how to build a modern offense, and a history of winning. The Jets have Woody Johnson and a coach that like t-shirts with slogans.

The Jets spent the money to fly Derek Carr in for a sandwich lunch this weekend at a place in Summit, NJ. Only problem is, he quietly then went and had a 5 star dinner at a Manhattan steakhouse with the Giants. It's a story as old as time.

Rodgers retires. Carr to Giants. Jones to Raiders. Jets end up with Taylor Heinicke.

Massive downgrade for the Giants.  Don't believe it.  

Just now, JetPotato said:

Carr + Barkley >>> Jones + nobody

That's what they're faced with.

Carr isn't in the same class as Jones at this point.  Carr had the best running attack in the NFL last year and great weapons in the passing game.  He lacks accuracy that Jones has and he doesn't move well.  

I agree Carr should be a lot cheaper because of his suck factor which may allow them to franchise Barkley but that depends on what some dumb ass owner is willing to pay Carr. 

• More Ugh 1

5 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Carr isn't in the same class as Jones at this point.  Carr had the best running attack in the NFL last year and great weapons in the passing game.  He lacks accuracy that Jones has and he doesn't move well.  

I agree Carr should be a lot cheaper because of his suck factor which may allow them to franchise Barkley but that depends on what some dumb ass owner is willing to pay Carr. 

Any way you slice it, the Giants are going to get who they want and the Jets are getting the bottom-of-the-barrel leftovers. That's just the way of the world. This should not come as a shock when it happens.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The Giants have one big advantage.  Their HC and GM will be with the Giants for years.  If the Jets fail to make the playoffs next year it will be a massive restart.  

Didn't Mike Maccagnan win Executive of the Year by the Pro Football Writers of America after his first season with the Jets? Kudos to the job Daboll did in 2022, but that's where I stop. Let's also give props to Joe Douglas and the job he did drafting OROY and DROY last off-season, and props to Robert Saleh, our defensive minded head coach, for leading the way to build a championship caliber defense. Now we are heading into the 2023 off-season, and in my opinion, the Jets are a better destination for free agents, especially at the quarterback position.

32 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

The Jets spent the money to fly Derek Carr in for a sandwich lunch this weekend at a place in Summit, NJ. Only problem is, he quietly then went and had a 5 star dinner at a Manhattan steakhouse with the Giants. It's a story as old as time.

Not that I give a ****, but I never saw that Derek Carr met with the Giants yet. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, playtowinthegame said:

Didn't Mike Maccagnan win Executive of the Year by the Pro Football Writers of America after his first season with the Jets? Kudos to the job Daboll did in 2022, but that's where I stop. Let's also give props to Joe Douglas and the job he did drafting OROY and DROY last off-season, and props to Robert Saleh, our defensive minded head coach, for leading the way to build a championship caliber defense. Now we are heading into the 2023 off-season, and in my opinion, the Jets are a better destination for free agents, especially at the quarterback position.

I think the Giants went to the playoffs last year with two teams in their division who were both arguably better than the Bills.  They also won a playoff game.

Mike Maccagnan didn't make the playoffs.  Douglas has had 4 FA periods and 3 drafts and hasn't sniffed the playoffs.  Saleh team imploded down the stretch last year.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I think the Giants went to the playoffs last year with two teams in their division who were both arguably better than the Bills.  They also won a playoff game.

Mike Maccagnan didn't make the playoffs.  Douglas has had 4 FA periods and 3 drafts and hasn't sniffed the playoffs.  Saleh team imploded down the stretch last year.  

Giants were playoff fodder in either the AFC or the NFC. They had a nice first season with Daboll, but they'll be rebuilding in 2023. You act like they're a great team. They got SMOKED in the divisional round. They're lucky they drew the SOFT Vikings in the Wild Card round.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, playtowinthegame said:

Giants were playoff fodder in either the AFC or the NFC. They had a nice first season with Daboll, but they'll be rebuilding in 2023. You act like they're a great team. They got SMOKED in the divisional round. They're lucky they drew the SOFT Vikings in the Wild Card round.

The Giants have one of the worst rosters in the NFL.  They have in place a very good HC and GM.  They are miles ahead of the Jets.  

The AFC had a lossing record against the NFC last year.  The AFC East is highly over rated.   The Dolphins don't sniff the playoffs if Dallas and Philly were in our divions and Buffalo is a third place team. 

11 hours ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

Haha says you... The market for qbs is set.. Carr isn't going to take any deal that people on this website post.... 40 Mil min. Per year probably higher his ask going to be at least what Jones asked for... But most likely more

first off, you said $50MM for carr.  i said that was laughable.  and it is laughable.

i don't know what carr will get.  really depends on the market and how many suitors he has.  many QB needy teams will look to the draft, especially those picking top 5 or so.  if the jets didn't shyte the bed with zach and were picking top 5, i'd too would have expectd them to look at the draft.

the only known suitors for carr at this point are the cap-strapped saints and the jets.  perhaps carolina is an option.  could there be others - perhaps.  football51 who seems to have excellent insight into the team is saying the jets are looking for something like $30 million per year for carr.  i'm sure carr wants more.  i remain dubious he gets $40 million per year, at least excluding "silly money" tacked on to contracts to build the total and average value.  and again, thinking he's getting $50 is laughable

• Thumb Down 1

Just now, Biggs said:

The Giants have one of the worst rosters in the NFL.  They have in place a very good HC and GM.  They are miles ahead of the Jets.  

The AFC had a lossing record against the NFC last year.  The AFC East is highly over rated.   The Dolphins don't sniff the playoffs if Dallas and Philly were in our divions and Buffalo is a third place team. 

giants aren't making the playoffs next season if they lose Saquon Barkley, which I think they will if they have to use the franchise tag on Daniel Jones. You're putting a lot of stock into 1 season with their head coach and general manager. Typical SOJF pessimistic glass is half full point of view, always worried about with the giants do. 

amazing the legendary status that daniel jones has reached here.  

i understand he has potential to get better.  he's younger than carr and has potential upside.  and he is much better at running the ball, although that of course leaves him more vulnerable to injury (the guy broke his clavicle in college, has missed about 10 games in 4 years with injuries in the nfl, including a season-ending neck injury in 2021 that caused him to miss 6 games).

but the puffery over jones here is crazy.  his BEST year, he threw 3,200 yards and 15 TDs (and ran for 7 more).  carr averages over 3900 yards and 24 TDs passing a year (his BEST are 4804 yards and 32 TDs - different years).

you swap josh mcdaniels and brain daboll as head coaches and i'd bet carr would have put up vastly better numbers than he did in 2022 and jones much worse.

other than baltimore, i'm not sure the giants beat a team with a winning record last year (they beat jacksonville also, but that was early in the season when jax was 2-5 before they turned it around in the 2nd half).

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

giants aren't making the playoffs next season if they lose Saquon Barkley, which I think they will if they have to use the franchise tag on Daniel Jones. You're putting a lot of stock into 1 season with their head coach and general manager. Typical SOJF pessimistic glass is half full point of view, always worried about with the giants do. 

The offseason hasn't even started.  I think they get them both signed.  If Barkley wants crazy money and a long term deal and comes down to Jones or Barkley I would move on from Barkley.  If they really like a QB in this draft who may fall to them or they can move up to get I would trust the Giants managment to make that call a lot more than the Jets.   The Giants are 2 years behind the Jets in their rebuild and already have made the playoffs.  They will still be around after next season without a playoff apperance.  They have a lot of options to do things the way they want to do them.

5 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

amazing the legendary status that daniel jones has reached here.  

i understand he has potential to get better.  he's younger than carr and has potential upside.  and he is much better at running the ball, although that of course leaves him more vulnerable to injury (the guy broke his clavicle in college, has missed about 10 games in 4 years with injuries in the nfl, including a season-ending neck injury in 2021 that caused him to miss 6 games).

but the puffery over jones here is crazy.  his BEST year, he threw 3,200 yards and 15 TDs (and ran for 7 more).  carr averages over 3900 yards and 24 TDs passing a year (his BEST are 4804 yards and 32 TDs - different years).

you swap josh mcdaniels and brain daboll as head coaches and i'd bet carr would have put up vastly better numbers than he did in 2022 and jones much worse.

other than baltimore, i'm not sure the giants beat a team with a winning record last year (they beat jacksonville also, but that was early in the season when jax was 2-5 before they turned it around in the 2nd half).

You look at their passing accuracy and it's not close.  Jones is extremely accurate.  Carr is basically Gardner Minshew without the heart.  

3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

You look at their passing accuracy and it's not close.  Jones is extremely accurate.  Carr is basically Gardner Minshew without the heart.  

career average completion %

jones - 64.0%

carr - 64.6%

going by last year, yes, jones was definitely more accurate (67.2 vs. 60.8).  clearly a bad year for carr.

looking at his recent history, it seems to be an outlier:

2021 - 68.4%

2020 - 67.3%

2019 - 70.4%

2018 - 68.9%

10 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

career average completion %

jones - 64.0%

carr - 64.6%

going by last year, yes, jones was definitely more accurate (67.2 vs. 60.8).  clearly a bad year for carr.

looking at his recent history, it seems to be an outlier:

2021 - 68.4%

2020 - 67.3%

2019 - 70.4%

2018 - 68.9%

Completion percentage is not the same as passing accuracy.  Jones is over 80% last year.  Carr was in the low 70's.  Jones was also under more pressure than Carr last year.  

1 hour ago, JetPotato said:

That's a typically overoptimistic look at things from a Jets fan.

The Giants are a real football organization, with a coach that knows how to build a modern offense, and a history of winning. The Jets have Woody Johnson and a coach that like t-shirts with slogans.

Rodgers retires. Carr to Giants. Jones to Raiders. Jets end up with Taylor Heinicke.

A sandwich lunch:) WTF are you talking about? Fiorino is an upscale place in an upscale town.

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Minshew is as accurate as Carr and while he doesn't look like an A QB which Carr does he seems a lot mentally tougher.  Of course you can get him cheaper on a shorter deal so there is that which is huge. 

I wanted to get around the idea of Minshew. I know it was a very small sample size. But this year I wasn't impressed when he played.

• Upvote 1

Just now, jetblue95 said:

what stat are you referencing?

Passing accuracy.  Go to pro football reference.  Bring up Mr. Accurate and their's a pic of Danny Dimes.  Go to passing accuracy failing off a Cliff and there's a pic of Carr.  They also have under pressure stats.  

10 minutes ago, rldev said:

A sandwich lunch:) WTF are you talking about? Fiorino is an upscale place in an upscale town.

Summit, NJ is not Manhattan and Fiorino is upscale only because they charge a lot for mediocre food. It fits right in with the self-important elitists that live there.

13 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Passing accuracy.  Go to pro football reference.  Bring up Mr. Accurate and their's a pic of Danny Dimes.  Go to passing accuracy failing off a Cliff and there's a pic of Carr.  They also have under pressure stats.  

ok, i see now.  was looking at PFR, just didn't see that tab.

again, it looks like 2022 is an outlier for carr.

2019 - 82.6%

2020 - 78.9%

2021 - 77.4%

2022 - 71.8%

jones

2019 - 71.1%

2020 - 75.2%

2021 - 76.1%

2022 - 81.0%

now if you look at their respective intended air yards per attempt (easier to be accurate on short passes), jones IAY/PA in 2022 was 6.4, down significantly from the prior years (daboll had him throwing short passes).  carr's IAY/PA was 9.1, up from the prior years (for reference, only mahomes, tua and josh allen had higher IAY/PA - jones ranked 32 in the league).

i concede carr's numbers dropped last year.  i didn't really watch any raiders games to say what was going on, but looking at his career stats, it seems a bit on an anomaly.  there was a new coaching staff/scheme in place, which could explain part of it.  likely, it appears jones benefitted from his new coaching staff (fwiw - i wanted daboll when the jets hired saleh).

i understand jones is younger and improved greatly last year.  remains to be seen whether he will be worth whatever contract he ultimately gets.  i'm glad it's not the jets making that call as i think it has potential to be a disaster.  of course, jets fans can't really take glee at any one else's QB situation given where we find ourselves right now.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Summit, NJ is not Manhattan and Fiorino is upscale only because they charge a lot for mediocre food. It fits right in with the self-important elitists that live there.

Hey what do you have against 

range rovers

oversized sunglasses with a designer logo on them

$5000 pocketbooks made in china

$800 sneakers that look a year old when you buy them

• Upvote 1