Back to Vinyl

11 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Vinyl is Back - big time. So I’ve been on a binge buying vinyl records. Had hundred of great stuff back in the day that I just destroyed. Miss them ☹️ I just started a NEW collection and kicked it off with Beatles classics. I’m from the ole Skool rock generation but got deep into 90’s electronica and 80’s rock as well. Vinyl versions are tricky. Some sound like crap so it takes research to find that right mastering of an album. With that said, what’s your must have albums that must be heard on ….. Vinyl.

everything.

and none of them sound crappy they all sound better than cds.

i have a small odd collection everything from 70s judas priest to early yes and genesis 

• Upvote 4

On 4/5/2023 at 8:27 PM, Maynard13 said:

Vinyl is Back - big time. So I’ve been on a binge buying vinyl records. Had hundred of great stuff back in the day that I just destroyed. Miss them ☹️ I just started a NEW collection and kicked it off with Beatles classics. I’m from the ole Skool rock generation but got deep into 90’s electronica and 80’s rock as well. Vinyl versions are tricky. Some sound like crap so it takes research to find that right mastering of an album. With that said, what’s your must have albums that must be heard on ….. Vinyl.

Me too….. just paid about $600 for a few boxes of various vinyl.  I’m gonna start.  So pissed when I moved to Nc I had every ZEP, ELP, YES, Tull etc… and I tossed ‘‘em thinking vinyl is DEAD.  

• Upvote 2

The collection I discarded because "vinyl is for dinosaurs".  I used to have a very good turntable.  Loved it. But the best part were all the choices for stylus  I remember using Pickering XUV 4500Q a long time and you didn't have to have 4Q to enjoy it.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Me too….. just paid about $600 for a few boxes of various vinyl.  I’m gonna start.  So pissed when I moved to Nc I had every ZEP, ELP, YES, Tull etc… and I tossed ‘‘em thinking vinyl is DEAD.  

I just bought tons of stuff. I need to go to VA  Vinyl Anonymous.  Just got Jethro tull, Yes, Stones, Joni, Alan PArsons, Neil Diamond etc etc etc. HELP! I got to chill. Oh wait I didn't get HELP! by the Beatles. I'll be right back.

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

The collection I discarded because "vinyl is for dinosaurs".  I used to have a very good turntable.  Loved it. But the best part were all the choices for stylus  I remember using Pickering XUV 4500Q a long time and you didn't have to have 4Q to enjoy it.  

Just bought a nice Audio technica table and Audio technica stylus   for $750 combined - both are highly rated. Now they are making these colored vinyls and they look effin cool and sound fantastic!

6 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

I just bought tons of stuff. I need to go to VA  Vinyl Anonymous.  Just got Jethro tull, Yes, Stones, Joni, Alan PArsons, Neil Diamond etc etc etc. HELP! I got to chill. Oh wait I didn't get HELP! by the Beatles. I'll be right back.

6 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Just bought a nice Audio technica table and Audio technica stylus   for $750 combined - both are highly rated. Now they are making these colored vinyls and they look effin cool and sound fantastic!

So I am in the early stages of a major reno project on my house. Redoing the kitchen family area and have a wall which will be the place it goes.  So I don’t even have a turntable yet but in about 3 months it should start to happen but I will start to buy vinyl.  Like I said, what I threw out in 1995 pisses me off.  I had a ton of Miles Davis, Coltrane, Beatles, etc.     

• Sympathy 1

So I've been DJing since the 90s and I have a lot of vinyl that I kept (I've been DJing with MP3s for over 10 years at this point). I reconnected my Technics recently to start listening to my old vinyl again ........ I appreciate the nostalgia but IMO the technology with MP3s has advanced to the point that it just sounds better.

On 4/6/2023 at 8:28 AM, HighPitch said:

everything.

and none of them sound crappy they all sound better than cds.

i have a small odd collection everything from 70s judas priest to early yes and genesis 

The Yes album must be listen to on vinyl. Amazing  album. I bought my first album in 5 th grade off my teacher, red vinyl print of Who are you. Still have it with all the others, nothing I did, my mother just doesn’t toss stuff like that  out. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

The Yes album must be listen to on vinyl. Amazing  album. I bought my first album in 5 th grade off my teacher, red vinyl print of Who are you. Still have it with all the others, nothing I did, my mother just doesn’t toss stuff like that  out. 

I was hoping to find the 2 LP 45RPM which supposedly sounds astounding. Shame it is out of print. One of my favorite albums by my favorite band ever.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, maury77 said:

So I've been DJing since the 90s and I have a lot of vinyl that I kept (I've been DJing with MP3s for over 10 years at this point). I reconnected my Technics recently to start listening to my old vinyl again ........ I appreciate the nostalgia but IMO the technology with MP3s has advanced to the point that it just sounds better.

Couldnt disagree more.  Vinyl has a more warmth sound to it. MP3's are great in that its allowed me to hear tons of music I woludnt be able to afford but nothing compares to vinyl. 

1 hour ago, Maynard13 said:

Couldnt disagree more.  Vinyl has a more warmth sound to it. MP3's are great in that its allowed me to hear tons of music I woludnt be able to afford but nothing compares to vinyl. 

Ehh. I know that’s the standard audiophile position and my mixer is analog (Xone 96) but I just don’t feel the same way. Besides you can always add saturation to your tracks to add the “dirtiness” of vinyl.

I have a bunch of Dvd-Audio discs as well as some SACD's. I really wish those formats became more popular. The sound clarity is phenomenal and if the engineer knew what he was doing, the surround mixes are breath taking. I always use Dark Side of the Moon and Workingman's Dead to showcase the formats.

8 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

My friend's brother in law had a reel to reel tape of Abbey Road back in the 70's.. It was, to this day, the most amazing media I've ever heard.

Large format Analog tape is the ultimate.

Then, vinyl

For me, my 3rd is DAT. DAT was the tightest, warmest digital format by far.

• Upvote 1

On 4/7/2023 at 12:21 PM, maury77 said:

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I didn’t stop listening to new music after the 80s but to each their own.

I'm in my 50s and I love Deep House, Trance, Dubstep, and a sh*t ton of other awesome "noise". I also love classical, Rock (especially 90s), a smattering or rap, Metal of all types.....I don't like Jazz, R&B, or Country, but I can't imagine someone that would cordon off their musical taste to one genre or era. Sounds boring.

I used to have all of New Order and Depeche Modes Singles and remixes on Vinyl. Wish I still had those. Some of the art on the sleeves was incredible. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

45 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I'm in my 50s and I love Deep House, Trance, Dubstep, and a sh*t ton of other awesome "noise". I also love classical, Rock (especially 90s), a smattering or rap, Metal of all types.....I don't like Jazz, R&B, or Country, but I can't imagine someone that would cordon off their musical taste to one genre or era. Sounds boring.

I used to have all of New Order and Depeche Modes Singles and remixes on Vinyl. Wish I still had those. Some of the art on the sleeves was incredible. 

Nice, I thought Bit and I were the only fans of the genre on the site. Here is a link to my mixcloud page if you ever want to hear some mixes:

I also agree with you re variety. Good music is good music. When I was a kid in the 80s, I was into metal and still throw some on my Tidal player every now and then. I listen to old hip hop, some modern hip-hop, rock from the late 60s through today, new wave, post-punk, and some 70s salsa. Sh!t, I went to go see the Jets play the Titans and I even learned a country song or 2 by the end of the trip. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Techno. The genre built on Kraftwerk, New Order and DM among others. Love it. Today's "EDM" is crap.

There is some good stuff from the 90's - Aphex, Urlich Schauss, Plaid - takes research - The Detroit electronica House movement was profound. 

• Upvote 2

Started around a year ago just seeing what my dad and mom had at the house.

Just listened to Aja last night which is I think the very first one I played around a year ago. Can't go wrong with that one on wax.

My collection has now grown to over 400 mostly soul/funk, but with a bunch of rock greats, 90s, and also 80s japanese (city pop).

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/10/2023 at 4:50 PM, Ruby2 said:

Just listened to Aja last night which is I think the very first one I played around a year ago. Can't go wrong with that one on wax.

My collection has now grown to over 400 mostly soul/funk, but with a bunch of rock greats, 90s, and also 80s japanese (city pop).

Aja is a masterpiece. Considered one of the top albums ever recorded. 

• Upvote 2

On 4/10/2023 at 4:50 PM, Ruby2 said:

19 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Aja is a masterpiece. Considered one of the top albums ever recorded. 

I believe AJA is the greatest studio album at it's time and top 2-3 of all time. The bass work on PEG blew me away as a teenager trying to play bass.

• Upvote 2

On 5/8/2023 at 7:54 AM, southparkcpa said:

I believe AJA is the greatest studio album at it's time and top 2-3 of all time. The bass work on PEG blew me away as a teenager trying to play bass.

Park. If you like bass work listen to Claptons Let it Rain   It is My all time favorite as it was performed by non other than Stephen Stills who is just a supremely talented musician 

• Upvote 1

On 5/8/2023 at 3:57 AM, CSNY said:

It’s great that vinyl is making a comeback but the days of going to Sam Goodys or Tower Records and flipping through albums are sadly long gone 

I used to love going record shopping when I started out as a DJ. I'd go to Manhattan and spend hours listening to music because the shops had turntables and headphones so you could privately listen to a record before buying it. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/8/2023 at 4:54 PM, Maynard13 said:

There is some good stuff from the 90's - Aphex, Urlich Schauss, Plaid - takes research - The Detroit electronica House movement was profound. 

I'm a really big fan of the Detroit scene. In fact, I'm going to their annual festival n a few weeks. I saw Jeff MIlls there last year and he puts on quite a show..

• Upvote 1