Jeff Ulbrich Says Michael Clemons set to Slide Inside After Adding 27 Pounds to Frame Since Indy

I don't think I will join this circle jerk...not sure I am a fan of this.  I thought he was playing well as he was and not too mention his value on STs running down the field to crush someone.

I hope this is not another case of Jets coaching throwing dart at wall because they think they brilliant or something.

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

Not sure what you’re insinuating, but I don’t watch the news platforms that discuss politics or religion, and I only get survey results from Steve Harvey.

The first thing I did when I got cancer was start smoking,

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, FloridaJetsFan said:
Let’s be honest, the best years we’ve had, we had FEROCIOUS D-lines. This one could be one of the best!!!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I have been watching this team forever .. I can honestly say there has NEVER been this quantity of good players on the DL .. whether or not the sum equals its parts remains to be seen. But this Line has the pieces to be on the level of the 80s Line.

Could use another run stuffer ... But my god the edge depth is insane.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

17 hours ago, Beerfish said:

he had minimum snaps at DT the last few years and he is overrated.  Oh he seems to a be a darling of analytics, his play fell off a cliff almost the second he got a nice fat extension.

All we have mused on the last two years is him playing DT

Got it.  So you don’t like him.

I was just wondering why you thought he wanted to stay on the outside.  He’s made his money getting sacks from the inside … 6 last year.

I believe he’s a good player but a couple of his penalties last year killed the team..  there should be a metric for that because he cost us NE and hurt us big time against Cincy.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

At Edge, he’s an excellent run defender but his athletic traits limit him as a pass rusher.

On the inside, he becomes a plus athlete who can become an excellent pass rusher if he maintains his athleticism.  Jetsxfactor showed how his RAS jumped to 9+ relative to Defensive Tackles.

The key is adding good weight to a frame that looks like it can handle an extra 20.

Good run defenders are easier to find than good pass rushers.  I personally like the change plus it opens up more reps for McDonald on the right side while JFM opens up more reps for JJ & Huff.

Yep totally agree with this analysis.   The only worry I have is if there has ever been an example of someone putting on this much weight?  20 lbs seems like a ton even with Clemons huge frame so hopefully it doesnt diminish any of his other strengths.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Yep totally agree with this analysis.   The only worry I have is if there has ever been an example of someone putting on this much weight?  20 lbs seems like a ton even with Clemons huge frame so hopefully it doesnt diminish any of his other strengths.

It’s a good question.  I wonder if anyone has a benchmark or 2..

It would be nice if one of our converted safety to linebackers also shows it can done.  

• Upvote 1

On 6/1/2023 at 7:55 AM, Bobby816 said:

Q and Clemons from DT on 3rd down with McDonald and JJ off the edge is scary. 

So you benched Lawson and Huff, with the best situational pass rush win rate in the league.  I like McDonald and JJ but they are not our vstarting edge rushers, at least not yet.

22 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

QB killers in waves!

Third down defense:

wave 1: McD-Q-JFM-Lawson

Wave 2: Huff-Q (let the man play every third and long)-Clemons-JJ

Not sure if JJ will be the elite pass rusher the others are.  May become the solid all-around defensive end.  Seems to be strong against the rush and should be pretty good pass rusher.

• Upvote 1

On 6/1/2023 at 8:14 AM, LIJetsFan said:

Well now we know why they didn't go after a DT in the draft.  Now if JJ shows steady improvement in his sophomore year we'll be golden.  Damn I'm looking forward to the season.     

I somehow doubt that that was the reason, but I'll tell you what, I have no problem with him moving to the inside.  That guy is 290 pounds of muscle, along with his mean intentions.  Him and Williams on the inside, and all the edge guys on the outside, it could get to be really interesting.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Flashlite80 said:

Not sure if JJ will be the elite pass rusher the others are.  May become the solid all-around defensive end.  Seems to be strong against the rush and should be pretty good pass rusher.

He's a good power edge that McD and Huff can funnel the QB to when they're causing havoc. 

3 hours ago, Flashlite80 said:

Think JJ will the defensive end version of Shaun Ellis 

Good, steady, smart player that will make the occasional big play