Texans & Jets possibly talking trade! ????

Kentucky Jet

Texans Talk Trade

By J. P. Crawford

Could it be that the Texans will pass up the opportunity to draft Reggie Bush? Several teams have reportedly been in talks with the Texans to get a hold of the Texans #1 draft pick.

Rumors are being circulated that the Texans may be interested in trading down their number one pick in the draft. There is much speculation that is circulating around NFL websites and other Texans fan sites that GM Charlie Casserly has hinted that the Texans are considering trading down with the New York Jets. Such a move is a definite possibility considering that the Texans problems couldn’t be fixed by the addition of one player.

This means that Heisman Trophy winning running back Reggie Bush, who was expected to be the overall top pick in the 2006 draft by the Texans may not have Houston in his future after all. Casserly remarked at a Combine press conference today that the team has been in talks with multiple teams concerning their pick. With top players like Bush, Vince Young, and Matt Leinart expected to go quickly in the draft, it is easy to say that almost every team in the NFL has some interest in procuring one of these players.

After the Texans extended David Carr’s contract with them, it seemed that the pick was sealed to be Reggie Bush. But the Texans already have Domanick Davis, who is currently holding down the RB position well and is expected to produce even more with the help of new Head Coach Gary Kubiak.

Reviewing the expected first five picks in the draft, one could possibly see the Texans trading down with the New York Jets to obtain the expected number four draft pick D’Brickashaw Ferguson, an offensive tackle from Virginia. Ferguson could help fill a huge need that the Texans have at the offensive line. It is also possible that the Texans could trade with the Green Bay Packers to obtain Mario Williams, a defensive end from North Carolina State.

But is trading down the best idea for the Texans? Reggie Bush could arguably be one of the most explosive players to come into the NFL in the last decade. He has the potential to be a franchise running back, an individual to keep around for his entire career because of his running and receiving abilities. Solid lineman would be able to be picked up in later rounds of the draft. Everyone recongnizes that the Texans have the opportunity and the ability to trade their pick down to another team, but is that what is going to be the best for the team?

As we all approach the home stretch to start of the NFL draft, yet more information and speculation will be drawn by the public about what the Texans will do with their pick. While Casserly did suggest several weeks ago that they would consider a trade, it seems now more than ever that it could become a very likely scenario. This certainly adds a new aspect to the upcoming draft for all Texans fans to watch out for.

I wonder if the 4th and the 29th picks would get us the no 1 pick...

I am about to throw up thinking about giving up that much. Giving up more? UGH.

What is the theory? If you have no offensive line draft Barry Sanders and make them miss?

the jets , like the texan, arent going to solve teir needs with a single pick either so i am all against this move

or a RB? you can always pick up a solid back in FA or in the draft.

fix that o line and the rest will fall into place

as usual, I'm in full agreement with dickkotite.

I am about to throw up thinking about giving up that much. Giving up more? UGH.

What is the theory? If you have no offensive line draft Barry Sanders and make them miss?

Going by the vaule chart the 29th and the 4th for the no 1 is a great deal for the jets...

After seeing what Bush did at his pro day today I'm becoming more and more convinced that he could be the real deal. I have not seen what he weighed in at yet but he would be worth trading up for imo. There are two ways to build a good o-line. One is through high draft picks and one is through low draft picks and good coaching. We have seen it done with the later already not sure why Jets fans seem to forget this.

Bush isn't the avg running back.

Tx is right you still need to see what he weighs in at. The key to the RB is the size of the hips and his hips do not look big on film. Really need to see his weight.

BTW, this story is from Feb 27.

Very light, especially for a RB who will get the rock 20-25 times a game.

He gives up 8 pounds to the Likes of Curtis Martin. But Bush seems to run more upright and takes big hits. Idk, we will see.

Bush isn't the avg running back.

You're right, he isn't. So far, he hasn't even proven to be a below average RB. He isn't an NFL RB at all yet. Every pick in the draft is a crapshoot, true, but historically there have been very few RBs that have truly been worth #1s, and even less that can do it without an O-line. In fact, all I can really think of is Barry Sanders. It's better for us to build an O-line and have a solid RB, they're pretty much a dime a dozen. This is why the 'Hawks and Colts haven't been too worried about losing their feature RBs until this year. The Colts will probably not miss too much either, they will still lose in the playoffs because of Manning. They'll also still put up good regular season numbers and record because of Manning. The Cardinals with Edge probably still won't do too much.

Very light, especially for a RB who will get the rock 20-25 times a game.

At that size i doubt he will get 20+ touches a game.He should get about 15 carries a game,other wise he will get injured.I reckon he could play for 10 years but only if they keep an eye on the carries.It's one of the reasons why i wouldn't want to trade up for him.

I will give up my moderation duties at jetnation if we trade up- that is how confident I am that there is no way this regime will do it

OH man. All of a sudden I am the worlds biggest Reggie Bush fan!

Do you know the average life span of a RB in the NFL is only 4.5 years.

Add to the equation that Bush weighs less than 200 lbs, his chances of playing in the NFL for 10 years is quite slim.

Tx,

You draft Bush and sign him to a 10 year deal. Curtis has at least 6 more years as a top starter left. Reggie can take over after that.

;)

Tx,

You draft Bush and sign him to a 10 year deal. Curtis has at least 6 more years as a top starter left. Reggie can take over after that.

;)

In all seriousness, CuMar is the exception, not the rule, to longevity as a RB in the NFL.

At his size, lasting (and being productive) for as long as he has is quite an achievement.

Savage69: "He had to last that long to compile all his meaningless statistics."

the jets , like the texan, arent going to solve teir needs with a single pick either so i am all against this move

or a RB? you can always pick up a solid back in FA or in the draft.

fix that o line and the rest will fall into place

This, in a nutshell, is the philosophy the Jets need to use on draft say. getting the top player is not the answer. We need a bunch a solid guys, and trading away multiple picks for a RB is the wrong approach.

Archived