JJ listed as LB

Bronx

Edge, Defensive End, Outside Linebacker.

Seems all three positional descriptions often mean (in real terms) something of the same thing in actual play/function/assignments, depending on the team and player.

All depends on down, distance and package, an OLB could be a dedicated pass rusher/edge setter just as much as a DE might be, or that OLB might have to do alot more coverage than a DE typically would.  It all depends.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

Edge, Defensive End, Outside Linebacker.

Seems all three positional descriptions often mean (in real terms) something of the same thing in actual play/function/assignments, depending on the team and player.

They don’t. Being on the line vs standing up are entirely different techniques, tactics and drive completely different outcomes, as we have seen fail so many times especially in relatively recent history. 

3 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

hes a better LB than he is a DE he seems very stiff to me as a DE I said this last year that he might move to LB and while this is no indication of that I would not rule out seeing get some time at OLB

If you are too stiff to play DE you are going to move to LB?  Sounds like a wacky thought to me.  LB should need more bend, quickness and explosion and less power.  He only "switched" to LB so that he would be allowed to wear #11.  I don't anticipate too much change in his usage.  He played LB some last year too. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

If you are too stiff to play DE you are going to move to LB?  Sounds like a wacky thought to me.  LB should need more bend, quickness and explosion and less power.  He only "switched" to LB so that he would be allowed to wear #11.  I don't anticipate too much change in his usage.  He played LB some last year too. 

When you look at the team’s stats from last year on pro-football-reference, Johnson is the only guy listed as DE/LB. So there’s a little more to it than just the number change, I suspect. I’m all in favor of getting the best players on the field. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

nope the bend is needed at DE not LB since you are right on the other player at all times . LB's play in space more bend is not needed at the position quite like it is at DE not even close